New Images of Half-life 2: Episode 4 / Return to Ravenholm

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Half-life 2: Episode 4 or Return to Ravenholm was a title being developed by Arkane studios between 2006 and 2007 before eventually being cancelled. Little of the game beyond concept art and an animation reel demo has been seen before now. All images are verified as work from Episode 4.

Our investigators have uncovered a selection images which show some in-game shots of the title which show new textures and models Arkane had planned for the game. You may notice a HUD element saying 'Absorption' in the images, if you have any suggestions what that might be, we'd like to hear them!

You can also check out our video showing all the media from Episode 4 right here.

ep4_1-2-png.23924

ep4_2-1-png.23925
ep4_2-2-png.23926

ep4_1-1-png.23923

Attachments

• Ep4_1-1.png
    Ep4_1-1.png
    223.9 KB · Views: 181,813
  • Ep4_1-2.png
    Ep4_1-2.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 187,541
  • Ep4_2-1.png
    Ep4_2-1.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 177,353
  • Ep4_2-2.png
    Ep4_2-2.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 186,924
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 12,930
How much have you absorbed the faith Father Grigori preached about? :D
In all seriousness,i think it's radiation absorption or something in that context

I'm placing bets that absorption has to do with an event that occurs in episode 3. For whatever reason, i think there has been an integration of the HEV suit and Freeman's body, similar to what is seen in the Metroid fusion series on the GBA. Maybe he was captured and experimented on by some of the GMan's mysterious friends that we haven't met yet. So perhaps this is some new form of energy for him for him. Either that or they stuck a bunch of solar panels to him! Just a guess, don't take me too seriously!!

I do miss the feeling of playing through a new HL experience *sigh*. That would have been cool. Although, I haven't the faintest clue what 'Absorption' could be an indication of... Maybe, being in Ravenholm, they planned an new zombie that could infect you? If the Absorption reached zero, you became one too regardless of your remaining health?

It says absorption because you are playing at Alyx in this episode so you don't have a suit per say.

I'm placing bets that absorption has to do with an event that occurs in episode 3. For whatever reason, i think there has been an integration of the HEV suit and Freeman's body, similar to what is seen in the Metroid fusion series on the GBA. Maybe he was captured and experimented on by some of the GMan's mysterious friends that we haven't met yet. So perhaps this is some new form of energy for him for him. Either that or they stuck a bunch of solar panels to him! Just a guess, don't take me too seriously!!
I don't think Gordon was the main character in Episode Four. It was being done by an outside studio, not Valve, as a spin-off. Similar to Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Why did this get cancelled?

Why did this get cancelled?

Here's your answer:

"Valve approached Arkane Studios to help develop a sequel to the critically acclaimed Half-Life episodes. We worked on this franchise for a full year before Valve decided to put their episodic efforts on hold." -Sebastien Scieux

Others have said it before, but I believe that Valve time or Lambda Generation reported that in this episode Gordon wasn't the player character but instead it was Alyx, Father Grigori, or Barney.

I think the Absorption meter refers to radiation or some other hazardous particles that the player would come into contact with.

I think that Absorption is something involved with zombie(s)/infection since in picture we can see zombies without headcrabs! Look at second picture, you can see a human being in pose of a zombie without a headcrab, we can see a very pale human covered in the clips rising and running suddenly and the other clip where it slams or something. The content was probavly kinda recycled in Left4Dead, the animations and some other things...

"We worked on this franchise for a full year before Valve decided to put their episodic efforts on hold."

That's not really a why, more of a reiteration.

"We worked on this franchise for a full year before Valve decided to put their episodic efforts on hold.
That's not really a why, more of a reiteration.

"Valve decided to put their episodic efforts on hold" seems like a 'Why?' to me.

By the time it would have come out, Gordon has aged enough to need adult diapers. This is what the absorption stat is all about...

So it's because of Valve's long development time that outside developers could not submit their own expansions for Valve to publish. How could you, Valve!

Others have said it before, but I believe that Valve time or Lambda Generation reported that in this episode Gordon wasn't the player character but instead it was Alyx, Father Grigori, or Barney.

I think the Absorption meter refers to radiation or some other hazardous particles that the player would come into contact with.

that about the gloves in the game photo? those look like HEV gloves... not saying it's gordon, maybe it could be someone else who worked in black mesa, like the one who has trained you at half-life 1 training

that about the gloves in the game photo? those look like HEV gloves... not saying it's gordon, maybe it could be someone else who worked in black mesa, like the one who has trained you at half-life 1 training

Most likely just before they changed the view model from the default Gordon hands.

this looks ****in ghey. how can you have episode 4 before episode 3?

Back