1 Step away from High Def Conversion

D

Drax

I have one roadblock keeping me from completing a high def pack conversion for HL:S, I need the .mdl's from HL:S so I can copy the coresponding animation names into my high-def .qc files.

I take it the .mdl files are integrated into the .dll's in HL:S? I can't find any type of .mdl file. Is there away to extract them? Will the upcoming SDK have this info?

Any info would be appreciated. This is my first attempt to mod anything outside of NWN's so I don't know for sure if I'm truely stuck or not. If I can get HL:S .mdl files decompiled I can recompile the high-def pack models which are converted and ready to go in all other aspects for HL:S.

I am hoping someone can provide me the same answer, and tell me where they are stored. I have an unofficial high def pack for steam, that works great with that version, but I cannot figure out where to put the mdl files for the source version.

the models are all integrated into the .gcf files for HL2 and such, guessing HL:S has it's own .gfc file, this can be viewed and files extracted from (bit like a .pak file), but not sure how to add or replace files in it, might be a program out somewhere for it.

pakscape is what i use to view the .gcf files though.

oh and they are no longer .mdl files, they are like .vtx any such, need something like Softimage XSi (free download with HL2 or from www.softimage.com) to view them

Thanks jheaddon, and since this is way beyond my meager abilities, keep us posted on your progress Drax. I would be very interested in seeing your models in action.

[edit]

Ah sorry for the double post but the edit button's gone on the above post, I thought I had hit another stop but I didn't. The .mdl files in the gcf file (yes there's vtx files as well) contain the names of the animation calls I need. Cool. Lets see how far I can get now.

hey man, its me. glad to see that everything is working for you. best of luck, wish i could help you though ;(

my avatar is very trippy :LOL:

Be sure to let us know (and post dammit!) when you are done Drax! I am eagerly awaiting a high def pak. Gotta love the ragdoll thing and lighting effects in the meantime though!

I know of someone who ported some Half Life 2 models to HL:S and he got errors on the screen (while in the game).

He probably isn't doing something right. But he has almost ported the gun models from HL2 into HL:S though.. he is just trying to fix the FOV so they don't look so far away.

alehm said:
I know of someone who ported some Half Life 2 models to HL:S and he got errors on the screen (while in the game).
i'd bet on the animation names being different.

hmm nice to hear, any news keep us posted will you?

can release a nice patch on our website and with some of our content in the future

Sorry but so far it's just not happy with any of my attempts. I'm following a tutorial on how someone ported weapon models from CS to CS:S and where it would work in the CS -> CS:S conversion it's not working in the HL -> HL:S conversion. Seeing as how all the SDK tools I'm using are for CS:S it's probably a matter of waiting for the full SDK release before I have what I need to do this properly. I'll keep hammering on it though.

BTW Nice avatar Metal. ;)

Here's what I'm working off of btw...
http://*************/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=14430

?? Wierd put ************* where the asteriks are (no www).

Ok this forum is odd. lol But I WILL defeat this bizare filter...

put hl-2world.com in there (and take out the "-").

You don't need to mess with the gcf files... just simply copy the models into the right directory...

get to HL:S Folder/Directory and find the "Models" Folder. If it's not there then create it. now copy the models inside it.

If HL:S Using different Models' Names so open Half-Lifes: Source's GCF File and see what are the correct names

Tried it out man but it didn't work, all the models turned into error messages. :S

I'm really interested in figuring out how to do this. If anyone gets this working, please share!

It will be done, it's just a matter of time and having the right recourses.

Frankly I'm alot more interested in getting a pure upgrade to HL:S over the overhaul (just a matter of taste, the overhaul looks like it will be great). I just want the best models from the Half-Life 1 era in HL:S and I'll be happy with it. I own the playstation version (bought it just so I can have Decay) so I might use the models from that. Apparently it is possible to export them. I'm going to try and pull the HEV suit form HL2 into HL:S though, that's the only thing form HL2 I want to see cary over. Should be easy, but I have a suspician it's physicaly larger then the HL versions so it might not fit into the little storage space you step into to put it on at Black Mesa. We'll see.

There are websites that you can get the PS2 (super high definition) models from. ummm, I can't remember what the names of the sites are 'cause they're on my favorites list at work.

Cant wait for these to come out, Ive had some probs trying to make my own, so far only the hev suit, medkits, battery and apache have worked, all the rest like zombies (no headcrab though, vortigaunts etc do no damage when attacking or make any noise in some cases (headcrabs for example)

Hopefully the full sdk will allow modders to add physical bodies to models so custom ones han be imported.

Maybe there is a way to covernt the models to support Source Engine, Maybe it does matter

Is this thread just about getting High Def Models into HL:S?

I.e. is anyone working on getting the high def textures from mapcore into HL:S?

thanks
ether

sdether,
This thread is about porting over the HL2 models (where applicable) i believe.

MapCore themselves are working on their textures being imported into HL:S.

Our modification Black Mesa : Source will also be producing these upgrades for textures and models.

jheaddon said:
Think you could find out when your next at work Kazuki?

Cheers

No problem, I start work again tomorrow, so I'll post it asap tomorrow.

jheaddon said:
sdether,
This thread is about porting over the HL2 models (where applicable) i believe.

MapCore themselves are working on their textures being imported into HL:S.

I'm very excited BM:S, just looking for a quick fix for HL:S to play it yet again, but with something new :)

The mapcore thread's been rather silent on actually using those textures..

thanks,
ether

jheaddon said:
Thanks man, can't wait :)

This site has the majority of the important Super Definition models, such as Scientists, Barney Marines Aliens etc.

http://www.sdmodels.cjb.net/

This site has a few edited SD models.

http://halfreplaced.hlgaming.com/

There was a site called Art of War that Gamespy took down that had the majority of the models, including all the PS2 weapon models. So you still might be able to find them on fileplanet if you do a search.

Just a FYI, but all of the PS2 weapon models are the same as the High Definition weapon models (With a couple of exceptions where they deleted the offscreen parts to save memory)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

No the PS-2 models are even higher in polygon count as the high definition pack, infact I remember seeing a comparison of all three version of one of the scientists (original, high definition, PS2).

[edit] ok I pulled this info from a google search and the first review I went to...

"And so, the developer took its Hi-Def, or high definition, pack from Blue Shift and enhanced it even further. The Hi-Def pack essentially replaced many of the original game's washed-out textures with larger, crisper ones, giving the environments an overall sharp look. The most noticeable changes that came with the Hi-Def pack, however, were the new 3D models for the weapons, characters, and other objects throughout Half-Life. Sound impressive? Consider this: the Hi-Def models in the PlayStation 2 version of Half-Life are about twice as detailed as their Blue Shift predecessors, and the end result is quite noticeable. "

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/halflife/preview_2811529-2.html

BTW *If* I pull this off I will probably only release a tutorial on how to port the models over. The PS2 content belongs to Gearbox and though I don't think it's a big deal if a person owns a copy of the PS2 version and ports it into source, I do think distributing that content to just anyone is kinda bad form.

Drax,

It's worth contacting them, you'll find some companies are very good with these kind of things, Valve and Gearbox included.

Why valve didn't do this in the first place is beyond me. They should have put the high definition textures and models into HL:S and maby an option of playing it oldschool or REALY oldschool ;)

They didn't see it as worthwhile, HL:S was just an example of how games can be ported onto the new engine, they never intended too update accordingly.

Worth while seems to me; it would be minimal effort for a lot bigger of a result. But hopefully they will be generous and let the fans use this resources. Either that or that they can dedicat the time and the effort now that they have the product(s) out the door.

I would much rather be able to use "offical" enhancements than some fans interpetation on how things look. (Im thinking for instance of the models available to various openGL or direct3d ports of doom, some look great, other dont feel like i envisioned the sprites at all...)

Hello

Today I was taking a crack at this myself. I didn't know someone else was also at it...heh

So here's what I've discovered (apologies if you guys already know this):

The mdl's in the hi-def pack are not compatible with HL: Source (or the source engine for that matter) because the source engine has a more advanced mdl format to allow for the ragdoll effect and other features. This would explain why simply just putting the models in the same folder resulted in 'errors'.

The solution to this would be to decompile the Hi-Def mdl's and somehow convert them into Source mdl's.

I know you can do the decompiling with Milkshape 3D, which I have done. I also found a utility here, that converts HL1 smd's to Source smd's. The author mentions that the smd's need to be modified to allow for vertex weighting (which I'm not too sure how to do). There's also the issue of the QC file which I believe is different from the HL1 QC in some small way.

Now I know with these tools, the conversion is possible in theory. But this is my first time dealing with Source mdl's (or any HL mdl format) and I really do not know what to do at this point. So hopefully someone here can use what I've discovered to get the HD pack out on the Source Engine!!

Back