128 Meg cards dont like High settings

tomo13

Reaction score
I have a 9800 pro 128 meg and can only run in medium.

I have tried a 4200ti 64 meg which can only run in low settings at about the same frame rate.

If i raise the settings I start to get bad stutter when sounds load.

I think that HL2 is much like Doom3 in respect to its detail levels were designed for cards with certain ammounts of memory.

ie low = 64 meg
medium = 128
high = 256
ultra is for 512 cards that are not out yet.

Just an idea, what do you think?

Yes i have a 6800 standard 128mb, and I have the same probs, Everything is running at max, 1600 x 1200, but as soon as i do a quick save the sound stutters like mad...So you need to turn your texture settings down, as these are taking up all of your 128mb....

If you read the biggest post here, it has nothing to do with the 128MB, people who are running a 6800GT or a X800, they both have 256MB, even they have 1GB RAM in there system and stilll get stutter...

I run a 128Mb 9800pro, and other than the crashing (!!!) it runs beautifully maxed out on everything at 1024x768. Stutters very very slightly, but nothing like other people report.

I think the stutter problems are to do with something other than 128Mb cards + high detail.

It has everything to do with the ram, you will find, if you decrease the texture quality, the stutter will dissapear completly...If you have 256mb ram on your card then it is most likely to be the ram on your soundcard...

Back