19 hours?

nerdcorerocks

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is anyone else here slightly disturbed by the games length: 19 hours on normal. The reviewer even said that he tried to explore all the nooks and crannies of every level. Don't get me wrong, I obviously know that its going to be the best game ever. But still, valve has had 5 years plus an extra delay year. It just would have been nice if it was long and good. I was hoping for more like 30 hours.

which review said 19 hours? thats crazy... i really hope thats not true.

That's a perfectly fine length, especially in comparison to some recent games. Pretty much the same length as the original Half-Life.

I don't think some of you realize how long even 15 hours is for a singleplayer game.

like i said, i know its still going to be a sweet game. just with all that time i figured it could have been sweet and long. just my thoughts.

19 h only ?

I ll be dam.

I thought Gabe said its at least 36 Hours Max. WTF

That might have been on easy... so they just ran through the whole game to be able to finish the review... at least that's what I hope :|

i mean i think call of duty was something like 20 hours. i got through with that game thinking, "woah, that game was awesome. but what the heck, i can't believe i'm done already"

i believe two reviews both said 19 hours on normal. and at least one of them (i think pc gamer uk) said that he tried to explore every level to the fullest. i'll start finding quotes for you guys

Edit: This is from the PC Gameply Belevux (or whatever) Review Summary thread. "PCG played the game in 19 hours on Normal skill."

Edit 2: Quote 1 from pc gamer uk "There are a couple of moments in these 20 HOURS where something isn't in its place or...blahblah"

PCG played the game in 19 hours on Normal skill.

I bet he just walkd through the game quickly.

It was the PC Gameplay review.

And one has to consider that the reviewer was playing on normal, under a time pressure constraint to finish the game to write a review. As such, he may not have had the opportunity to do much exploration/experimentation/replay as we would have.

My estimate is that we will take about 25 hours to finish it on normal and about 30 hours on hard.

Besides, wouldn't you much rather have 20 hours of pure gaming excellence than 40 hours of mediocrity punctuated by a few moments of greatness?

As talented and creative as Valve is, it's VERY difficult to sustain the same level of excellence for more than 25 to 30 hours.

Call of Duty took me 6.5 hours to complete on "normal" difficulty - it wasn't a long game by any stretch.

Same with Max Payne and Max Payne 2.

I bet I'll be able to submit a sub two hour run to the SDA. =p

nerdcorerocks said:
i mean i think call of duty was something like 20 hours. i got through with that game thinking, "woah, that game was awesome. but what the heck, i can't believe i'm done already"

Call of Duty, 20 hours? Yea right. It was more like 4 hours.

19 hours is as long as a FPS has any right to be. That sounds like a perfect length to me.

I don't understand how long some people were thinking it would be. I would have assumed around 12 hours, just from average FPS lengths.

nerdcorerocks said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else here slightly disturbed by the games length: 19 hours on normal. The reviewer even said that he tried to explore all the nooks and crannies of every level. Don't get me wrong, I obviously know that its going to be the best game ever. But still, valve has had 5 years plus an extra delay year. It just would have been nice if it was long and good. I was hoping for more like 30 hours.

hmm...i remember Gabe saying that they were aiming from anywhere between 25-40 hours of gameplay...
19 hours? bahh...im sorry but lately it seems things about the game more disappointing than i'd like to remember, be it CS:Source = MP or the CE being a joke of a retail product :(

Valve, are u reading this? :(

i was hoping for something like 25, 30 but hey, if it is amazing, it will be 20 hours of an incredible experience -- who can complain with that?

I know it will take me longer than 20 hours.. so I'm happy.

Anything beyond 30 hours is simply too much for an FPS - you seriously risk repetition and loss of the "wow" factor.

As I said previously, you can probably get 25 hours out of HL2 on normal and 30 on difficult out of experimentation/exploration.

Far Cry took me about 20 hours to finish - it would've been A LOT shorter if there were a quick save function.

As for Doom 3, I'll let you know when I actually finish it :p

Wonder how much time the Half Life Done Quick folk can shave off :cheese:

Nineteen hours seems long enough and the reviews suggest that there aren't any dull moments.

Are you kidding me? 19 hours is a long fps game if you ask me. I was sick of Doom 3 by the end of it and just wanted it to be over. 19 hours is more than I expected out of HL2...so I'm happy with it.

EDIT: That's also wayyyy longer than HL1. I beat HL1 in like 6-7 hours the first time through.

19 hours for a reveiwer who needs to get it done and write an article for a deadline ist too bad. for someone like me, who will take their time and look at everything (which i do for every game) im sure something like 25-30 hours inst too unrealistic.

Even 30 hours of gameplay is very little - it won't last longer than a week, unless you have little time on your hands or are very self-restrained.
I really hope this game has some replayability, unlike Doom 3 (meh).

I, for one, don't care. I have a really bad history with games (I never beat Doom3, and I'm still working on beating FarCry. Haven't even gotten to the levels with the monsters yet). I believe that a game 19 hours long will be long, but not too long. And supposedly, the replay value is awesome.

Not to mention, for me at least, the shorter the game, the better chance I have at finishing it!

I know that's pathetic, but it's true. I hope to beat those games one day.

-Brad

Ari de Verci said:
Even 30 hours of gameplay is very little - it won't last longer than a week, unless you have little time on your hands or are very self-restrained.
I really hope this game has some replayability, unlike Doom 3 (meh).

Wow...I think you expect way too much longevity from games you play. HL1 certainly wasn't near 30 hours. Most games aren't. The only games that go longer than 30 hours (when you just do the basic plotline) are console RPG's (FF games and such).

30 hours on any other game would take me like 3-4 weeks. In a world where HL2 was 30 hours long...it'd take me 2 weeks because I'm pretty sure I'll be more addicted to it than a long RPG.

Since last year HL2 has been alluded to be about 36 hours.

Now it is 19.

That is the kicker.

In reality, 20 hours is fine, though I would rather have 25, but the fact that all the sudden the game is almost half as long as was announced by Valve is a shocker.

Wait! Isn't the games estimated length about 36 hours?

www.HalfLife2.net (FAQ) said:
Q: How long will the singleplayer game last?

The singleplayer game is split into 12 chapters each lasting around 3-4 hours which is roughly around 36 hours worth of game time in all.

19 hours is a disappointment after hearing about 30+ hours, especially since it was supposed to be gabe who said that

jesus. 1 guy says 19 hours but doesn't post a source and all of a sudden it's a common fact.

It was the amount of time mentioned in the PC Gameplay review. The PC Gamer UK review stated 20 hours.

RoyaleWithCheese said:
jesus. 1 guy says 19 hours but doesn't post a source and all of a sudden it's a common fact.

It was in a magazine review..

RoyaleWithCheese said:

FYI

1 reviewer said 19 hours another reveiwer said 20 hours.

Only 2 reviews are out so 100% of them are saying basically 19-20 hours in length.

AmishSlayer said:
Wow...I think you expect way too much longevity from games you play. HL1 certainly wasn't near 30 hours. Most games aren't. The only games that go longer than 30 hours (when you just do the basic plotline) are console RPG's (FF games and such).

(...)

Well, I was talking about how long I expect a game to entertain me. There are a lot of games that last a longer time - strategies (Civ III), RPGs (Morrowind), flight sims, many puzzle games as well.

I hate it when I wait a long time for a game (Doom3), only to finish it in a few days and find out that it has no replay value (except multiplayer)

Ari de Verci said:
Well, I was talking about how long I expect a game to entertain me. There are a lot of games that last a longer time - strategies (Civ III), RPGs (Morrowind), flight sims, many puzzle games as well.

I hate it when I wait a long time for a game (Doom3), only to finish it in a few days and find out that it has no replay value (except multiplayer)

Yeah, I was so bored with Doom 3 half way through, I just plowed through the rest so I could uninstall it.

ah okay, didn't know that.

But weren't that the dudes who played on normal?

Besides that, 19 hours is pretty okay, but a bit underwhelming compared to the 30 hours mentioned by the Gabester

Back