2 VERY hot PC's But which one???

G

hey evreyone I am thinking about getting either one of these PC's but not sure which one.

HP Pavilion a290n Minitower
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor, 3.2GHz, with Hyper-Threading Technology, 1GB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive, 4X DVD+RW and 16X DVD Drives, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with a Radeon 9800 pro

I also have a mouse keyboard and monitor for the HP so i am thinking about that.

OR...
AlienWare

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
240GB Seagate Barracuda harddrive
Radeon 9800 pro
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

ALSO i heard the Radeon is better then the Geforce FX 5900 ultra is better for hardcore gaming like HL2 and doom3

one more thing which is better

1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 4 x 256MB Module
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2 x 512MB Module

thank you very very much

Get the Alienware. HP computers are limited in mnay feilds, and alienware is a great company.

HP blowz dont even think about getting it...Both companys are a rippoff really cause you could build the system yourself for half there prices. Or go to compusa and pick out everything you want and they'll put it together for you for cheaper still.

the difference between the 9800 and 5900 are minimal. Bottom line, the 9800 wins in some test, the 5900 wins in some test. The AF on the 5900s are way better than on the 9800s. The AA on the 9800s are better than that on the 5900s.

Doom3 is being optimized for nvidia.

HL2 is supposedly being opitmized for ATI(up until march this year Valve was optimizing for nvidia but nvidia had no new card out to show at e3 because the 5800 was bunk, so valve had no choice but to go with ATI)

You want less memory sticks not more..so the 2x512 is much better. Are you sure you even need to buy a whole system like this?.

You can use everything out of your old computer as long as its somewhat decent.

Harddrive
videocard(for now until you get a new one)
CD roms
Dvd roms
floppy
PSU
case
DDR ram

If you have all these things all you need is a new mobo and processor. Which will set you back only $200-$600 depending on what you get.

(probably wanna get a nice new case though)

my god there is no reason in the world to have a 240 gig hd..lol. I recomend a 10,000 or 15,000rpm Harddrive..40-60gig

Alienware.....even if I don't like them...go for them in this case.But I would mainly recomend you build your own because it's cheaper and you get better faster parts.

Id go for the AW.....

Id stick with the 9800pro. The 5900 isnt all people think it is.

...and id go with 2x512 chips...

everything else is basically your preferance....

Shockwave! you are possbiel the worst smapper ever. theres and edit button for a reason.

He obviously doesn't want to make he own, hence the getting pre-builts.

HP really does blow, u can upgrade them, and they dont tell u how to access the bios, alienware will own

Man those have to cost a shitload of money, there f-in' nice though.

The warriors was west side story for heterosexuals.

I need to stop watching tv while post. I would save money and pull stuff out of your old computer. But if your looking at these $600 mobo/cpu type computers i dont think money really is a issue for you? Then i cant relate, so dont listen to a word i say.

I dont like pre-builds's. But if I had no choise then I would have chose alienware with the old case. I really dislike the new one. its to.. to much

Originally posted by KidRock
will the HP still run well though. they have nice specs.

Ive never had good luck with HP/Compaq(they are the same company now).

They are not gaming machines. If your looking for a pre-built gaming machine, by all means go with the alienware.

Originally posted by Shockwave
You want less memory sticks not more..so the 2x512 is much better.

shockwave I'd do some more research befor you say something like that. Although the performance gain from 2x512 to 4x256 is minimal, saying that 2x512 is much better just b/c its 'less sticks' is a rather ignorant statement, imo

read this article if you think im making up shit:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1849

or more specifically proving my point:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1849&p=5

Originally posted by Mac
shockwave I'd do some more research befor you say something like that. Although the performance gain from 2x512 to 4x256 is minimal, saying that 2x512 is much better just b/c its 'less sticks' is a rather ignorant statement, imo
[/url]

Not sure where i read it but i did read something about 2x512 being better then having 4x256, so he didnt just make it up.

hey evreyone I am thinking about getting either one of these PC's but not sure which one.

HP Pavilion a290n Minitower
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor, 3.2GHz, with Hyper-Threading Technology, 1GB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive, 4X DVD+RW and 16X DVD Drives, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with a Radeon 9800 pro

I also have a mouse keyboard and monitor for the HP so i am thinking about that.

OR...
AlienWare

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
Radeon 9800 pro

ALSO i heard the Radeon is better then the Geforce FX 5900 ultra is better for hardcore gaming like HL2 and doom3

one more thing which is better

1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 4 x 256MB Module

thank you very very much

dont get pre built machines... like HP and DELL.... never they are useless for upgrading etc...

the 2 512 sticks is better than 4 256's... also you may want to check your board can hold 2 3200 ram...
mine can only hold 1.... but it has 3 slots... (its because of teh speed the ram runs at...)

THeRook

Originally posted by Shockwave
my god there is no reason in the world to have a 240 gig hd..lol. I recomend a 10,000 or 15,000rpm Harddrive..40-60gig

ignore thsi guy... i have a 40 gig and a 120 gig... and i only have 1 gig space left on the 120gig

and due to a recent format i have 20 gig free on my 40gig woohoo :)

Originally posted by Mac
[/url]

so there is a performance difference between the 2... and the 2 512 has better perfomance...

so what he said is correct... stop being a nit picker...

and to the topic starter try building your own you will save so much money! and you will gain great knowledge from your PC!

and i guarantee you have any problems the people on any forum will help you out!

also on most new motherboards (well mine did) it has a video showing how to install stuff...

TheRook

Yes, go with the alienware for a gaming machine.

man doesnt HP have everything stuck together like a big fucikin' pie, integrated garbage. If by any reason you sound card burns out...say good buy to the whole mother board. AlienWare was designer for gamers. If you REALLY into gaming go with AW if not i dunno i am thinking that the HP will be atleast 600$ cheaper and if your just doing school work (lol) thne get the HP to save the 600$ for a nice good old XBOX and get HL2 for it :) and DOOM 3 when it comes out (eventually)

damn yall are misunderstanding me, im saying that there is a performance gain to going with 4 sticks of 256 instead of 2 sticks by 512.

read the articles.

If the slots can support 4 512 Sticks i guess, but why man? You are risking with going with a shittier HP system for 2 gigs of ram? What for?! 1 gig is MORE then enough for games right now, and to come for another atleast 2-3 years man
after that you could invest in a new mother board, but thats in the future. Go with AW!

Originally posted by Tupac
If the slots can support 4 512 Sticks i guess, but why man? You are risking with going with a shittier HP system for 2 gigs of ram? What for?! 1 gig is MORE then enough for games right now, and to come for another atleast 2-3 years man
after that you could invest in a new mother board, but thats in the future. Go with AW!

he said 4x256 NOT 4x512

2x512, so you can upgrade more later, if needed.

but what is the point of sacrificing upgradeability for minimal gains?

There is no point but to say you filled are your dimm slots with memory and that your leet. /sarcasm

AlienWare

Take note, if you build this system, you'll save a bunch of money

alienware it is boys! I will be ordering this monster soon just in time for HL2 Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
Radeon 9800 pro

i hope you die a horrible, painful death. horrible. awful. ahhh. die.

edit: and may i ask wherever did you get this sum of money?

alienware it is boys! I will be ordering this monster soon just in time for HL2 Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
Radeon 9800 pro

Good choice bro.

You guys need to realise not everyone has the time or skills to build a computer.

Back