???

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
i dont understand y halflife and call of duty uses quake 3 engine, seriuosly, it sucks, especially for call of duty, the united offence is a 2004 game and it still uses quake 3 engine, why? were the creators too lazy to make their own engine?

Yes, Half-Life and COD use completely different engines.

I think COD still looks very good considering how old the engine is. I would like to see Carmack revamp it by adding shader support and support for normal/bump maps.

Very few developers create their own engines because it takes a lot of time, talent, and money to create an engine. It is a lot cheaper and easier for most developers to license engines. It also gives them more time to spend working on creative ideas than to create their own engine.

ID creates their own engines because Carmack has it down to a science. Take a look at Valve, they've been developing the Source engine for ages and they are still doing optimizations to it.

Why? Because its proven technology. It WORKS. Its FAST. And its RELIABLE.

Something you usually cant say about new games. Look at the CoD UO movie, and you'll see its still stunningly beautifull, easily holding up to modern games. That is because the Quake 3 (Arena) engine predates the time where developers decided to cut main texture resolution in favor of more layers of textures (ie bumpmapping and such).

You could have chosen a better thread title though...

so call of duty use the quake 3 engine?

that mean that can run in my PC?
my PC
pemtiun4 1.8ghz
videocard 32mb
RAM 122mb
directX 9.0

and half-life dont use a modified doom2 engine?
anyway half-life was released in the 1998 and in that time it has very good graphics

<RJMC> said:
so call of duty use the quake 3 engine?

that mean that can run in my PC?
my PC
pemtiun4 1.8ghz
videocard 32mb
RAM 122mb
directX 9.0

and half-life dont use a modified doom2 engine?
anyway half-life was released in the 1998 and in that time it has very good graphics

COD (not sure about its expansion pack) System Requirements

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 32 MB Hardware accelerator w/ full T&L capabilities video card and latest drivers.

- English version of Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

- Pentium III 600 Mhz or Athlon 600 MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 98/ME

- Pentium III 700 Mhz or Athlon 700 MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 2000/XP

- 128 MB of RAM

- 8x Speed CD-ROM driver (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers

- 1.4 GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows 98/ME swap file, 600 MB for Windows 2000/XP swap file)

- 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16 bit sound card and latest drivers.

- 100% Windows 98/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

- DirectX 9.0b

So if your video card is up to the challenge, yes you can play Call Of Duty. It is a fantastic game.

blahblahblah said:
COD (not sure about its expansion pack) System Requirements

- 3D Hardware Accelerator Card required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 32 MB Hardware accelerator w/ full T&L capabilities video card and latest drivers.

- English version of Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

- Pentium III 600 Mhz or Athlon 600 MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 98/ME

- Pentium III 700 Mhz or Athlon 700 MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 2000/XP

- 128 MB of RAM

- 8x Speed CD-ROM driver (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers

- 1.4 GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows 98/ME swap file, 600 MB for Windows 2000/XP swap file)

- 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16 bit sound card and latest drivers.

- 100% Windows 98/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

- DirectX 9.0b

So if your video card is up to the challenge, yes you can play Call Of Duty. It is a fantastic game.

the problem is that my pc dont hav 3D accelerator (I think)

but anyway is a cool game but I am not so excited

brink's said:
Halflife uses the quake1 engine.
Actually, Half-Life uses a modified Quake 2 engine. It's an old game, but it's not that old... :E

Griever said:
Actually, Half-Life uses a modified Quake 2 engine. It's an old game, but it's not that old... :E

Nope, Half-life uses the Half-life engine.

Sorry... I just HAD to say it. :imu:

Quake 3 source code should be released under the GPL soon. I'm sure the community will add vertex/pixel shader support etc in due time.

ailevation said:
:LOL: "3D Accelerator"= Graphics card.
I didnt know that

but in some games are a "3D"2D" option and when I select 3D dont work

Back