3DMark06 comparrison

IchI

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would help me out. I'm looking for someone with a similar system to me to compare 3DMark scores, just to see if I could push my machine a little more on the software side of things.

I'm fairly sure I got all my latest drivers. But the final result still seems fairly low. Anyway, just curious what you thought to this machine only managing to achieve 5404

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2
- Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
- DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED
- Speed: DDR2-800
- Voltage: 2.2V
- Memory Timings: CL=4

Asus GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
- core 675MHz
- 256MB GDDR3 Memory running at 2000MHz
- 128-Bit Memory interface
- Memory Bandwidth: 32GB/s

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)
- 2.13GHz clock speed
- 4MB L2 Cache

Asus P5N32-E PLUS nForce 680i SLi

So... what do you think? Does it seem right?

8xxx's come in 128bit interfaces? Damn, i'd say that would be slowing you down.

8xxx's come in 128bit interfaces? Damn, i'd say that would be slowing you down.

I couldn't afford the extra 60-100pound for a 8800 :( I was planning on getting two 8600's in the long run. Hopfully this bit stuff you talk about won't come around to kick me in the ass. What exactly is it?

For starters, you have a very nice base PC. It will be quite powerful for quite some time.

However, the reason your score is low(er) is because of the 8600. It's a DirectX 10 card, but it's overall performance leaves a lot to be desired. To the point that several last generation video cards out perform it by quite a bit. ALL versions of the 8xxx series card other than the 8800, are considered lower end. Their biggest selling point is the fact that they support DirectX 10. The base 8800GTS 320mb version, is almost TWICE as fast performance wise over the fastest 8600 version. Of course this might change as more 3rd party makers get their hands on the 8xxx series. If you are going to go with the 8600, get those made by eVGA. They (at this time) provide the best performance in that cards class.

You must also keep in mind that drivers for the 8xxx series cards are still in their early stages. As the drivers mature, so will the cards performance. The fact that the cards are 128bit don't help either.

I don't know if this helps or not. I'm in no way dissing on your PC. Only trying to give you some info.

-MRG

Sounds about right for an 8600 to me. The 8600 is a little slower or thereabouts the performance of the 1950 pro, which in turn is a little slower than the X1800XT that i have, which scores around 4400-4600 in a single core athlon64 system. 3Dmark06 takes into account the cpu score in its overall score, hence the extra 1000 or so points you've got from having 2 cpu cores. Sorry if that's a convoluted way of explaining it ! Basically, sounds about right !

:)

Hmmmm, ye sounds about right. You need to take into account the video card I got only cost 120pound which is like WOW. Super cheap for its performance.

The thing I'm curious about is if I buy another one down the line. Can I be looking at an overall performance of a 8800GTX?

On the sheet the card I got is powerful in those Mhz things compared to most other cards. But whats this 128bit?

Basiclly how I thought the card was now is it runs what it can handle very very fast, but its memory and capacity are low. Meaning if I get another card it will increase this... giving it 512mb memory more graphics bandwidth and more.. bit thingys.

I could be completely wrong. But thats how I thought it would work out.

EDIT Comparing the two which one would you have got? Asuming you would end up buying two of them.

?182.11 inc VAT
- GeForce 8800 GTS core running at 550MHz
- Shader Clock Speed of 1300MHz
- 320MB GDDR3 Memory running at 1600MHz
- 320-Bit Memory Interface
- 96 Stream Processors
- Shader Model 4.0
- Texture Fill Rate: 24 billion/sec
- Memory Bandwidth: 64GB/s
- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming
- Nvidia Pure Video Technology
- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications
- Dual dual-link DVI supports two 2560 x 1600 resolution displays
- HDCP Enabled!!
- SLI ready – Upto 2x the performance of a single GPU (Available on with future driver release)
- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology
- World's first unified architecture supporting Microsoft? DirectX? 10
- Built for Microsoft? Windows? Vista™
- FREE BFG T-Shirt, Teflon stick pads and stickers
- LIFETIME Manufacturer Warranty (Contact BFG representative on 001 866 234 3499 for warranty services)
- 24/7 Email Manufacturer Support (http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html)

?138.64 inc VAT
- GeForce 8600 GTS core running at 675MHz
- 256MB GDDR3 Memory running at 2000MHz
- 128-Bit Memory interface
- Shader Model 4.0
- Memory Bandwidth: 32GB/s
- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming
- Nvidia Pure Video Technology
- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications
- Dual dual-link DVI supports two 2560 x 1600 resolution displays
- HDCP Enabled!!
- SLI ready – Upto 2x the performance of a single GPU (Available on with future driver release)
- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology
- World's first unified architecture supporting Microsoft? DirectX? 10
- Built for Microsoft? Windows? Vista™

I would have bought the single 8800 over the dual (SLI) 8600, even if I had to wait a little bit longer to save up the cash.

128bit vs 256bit
The below link goes to a websites that shows you the basic difference between 128bit & 256bit. They use ATI cards, but the bottom line of it comes down to memory bandwidth. The more the better. Both for stock performance as well as for overclocking.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131

If you need more info, i'll post a longer, more indebth version.

Click on the below pic to see 8600 in SLI benchmarks.

-MRG

Attachments

• slilostjg9.gif
    slilostjg9.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 246
Just got my 8800 GTS today, sending the 8600 back. For only ?60 more I now get 8861 in 3DMark06 :D Now all I need to do is buy one of the same card next time I need to upgrade.

Back