3DS to HAMMER

B

Bajs0r

HY! :E

i need a little help here :( I want to import 3DS or MDL file to hammer.
Now let's say I made a shiny reflective box in 3D studio max and now I have a Box.3ds or Box.mdl file... how can I import that box in my Hammer (map)?
Oh and I also want to know, if those textures (materials), that I made in 3DS will stay in hammer and if they'll be reflective.

a little tutorial would be great! Thank you!

You'll need to place the MDL file into the right directory in whichever game or mod you want to use it in. The textures for the model will need to be saved in the correct folder as VTFs with an accompanying VMT file that controls which VTFs are used together (i.e. which specular map goes with which diffuse, etc.).

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Overview_of_Model_Creation

A modeler needs to answer this fully, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

wow so much to read i remember there was a video tutorial about this somewhere anyone seem to know where it went, im not much of a person that reads text i cant really understand it without pictures or video. im also wondering as i want to make a few models for my map.

Looking at the modfiles for our mod, all the models are in the \models\ directory (or a subdirectory of that).

E.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\NuclearDawn\models\RUS1_Furniture\FUR_RUS1_Spidertank

For one model there seem to be a LOT of files, I can't say I know what all of them are for. But maybe this helps:

- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.phy (collision model maybe?)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.dx80.vtx (to do with texture settings for directx 8 series graphics)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.dx90.vtx (to do with texture settings for directx 9 series graphics)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.mdl (the main model)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.sw.vtx (no idea what this is, apart from it looks to be to do with textures)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.vvd (no idea what this is)

Then the textures are in the \materials\ folder:

E.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\NuclearDawn\materials\RUS1_Furniture\FUR_RUS1_Spidertank

- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.VMT (text file that controls which files to use for diffuse and specular, and what lighting style and scale, and specifies the textures are for use on a model)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank.VTF (image file containing diffuse map with normal)
- FUR_RUS1_Spidertank_Spec.VTF (image file containing specular map)

ah for the love of... :D now i'm completly lost :D

now I know how to import the MDL file... but I don't know how to make one :(
I made one with MilkShape 3D (imported 3DS file and exported MDL) but the hammer just said ERROR. So now i'm just with Box.3ds and I need to create MDL file.
So how do I do that? mini tutorial plz :* (I also have Softimage|XSI but I don't know how to work with this thing :p)

You have to export your model in *.smd format. You also need a *.qc file for your model to get it compiled for the Source Engine (see the example below):

$modelname "models/your_model_name_here.mdl"

$cdmaterials "models/your_materials_folder_name_here"

//mesh (reference)

$model random_name "your_smd_mesh_name_here.smd"

//animation (sequence)

$sequence random_name "your_smd_animation_name_here" FPS 30

After you done with your *.qc file, use studiomdl.exe in your source_sdk/bin folder [*] in order to compile your model. studiomdl will automatically creates the necessary files you need and places them in to path ($model) you chosen in your *.qc file.

ok tnx, but now I need a SMD exporter :D I found an exporter called Cannonfodder SMD exporter, but it's only for 3DSmax 6 and 7... and I have 3DSmax 2008 :E

i also have the same question i dont realy get what a qc file is?how do i make one? also where can i get an smd exporter?

ok. Now I need just one more thing :p I have a little problem with TGA file... I didn't use any texture (bitmap) on my "BOX" in 3DS. I just choosed a diffuse color and added some reflection on it. So how can I export that material to .TGA from 3DS Max 2008?

Back