512mb ram turns into 511mb :( -why?

KozMic

Reaction score
could someone please tell me why in the console it used to say that i had 512mb of ram and 2.7ghz whenever i changed my texture or model quality in-game (in red writing)

and now for some reason its saying that i have 511mb :(

why is this and where did that 1mb go?

will it affect the way the game runs?

thanks for the help in advance :cheers:

1MB shouldn't affect the game at all - i think, although i could be wrong, that the missing memory is used in the interface of your hardware to the windows operating system's drivers etc etc, in other words it's normal, mine only registers 767MB:)

Alot of time if you buy ram, it usually isn't 100%
Check your hard drive space,
does it come out to an even ## of gigs.
Mine is 4 gigs from 80gigs. Mine is 76gigs and it was shown as 80.

Same goes for ram.
I bought 256megs of ram.. Registered at 254.

the_lone_wolf your a lifesaver :thumbs:

you've answer many of my questions in the past and im grateful

as you can probably tell im a n00b to this sort of stuff (my first pc :) )

so alls it is, is that its being used by something else running on my pc? relief!

nice set up btw :cheers:

oh and to answer the above question - i bought 120gb hd and get 114 :(

thanks:) - everyone learns this sort of stuff from someone else - the reason you lose HDD space is due to the formatting process, i have two 200GB drives and both show up as 186GB - still plenty of space though

with the ram i think it's the parts ofyour system that are more fundamental than windows, like getting your motherboard to talk to your video card or hard drive, like i say i'm not 100% sure but it makes sense cause in device manager you have memory ranges assigned to each device:)

traveller said:
200gb shows as 186gb? that's a half rip off..
Isn't some of it a fast cache and some is format info like dude said

traveller said:
200gb shows as 186gb? that's a half rip off..
it's about the same ratio as 80-76GB or 120-114GB - just a thing you have to put up with i guess

Back