6600 gt agp pci wtf total n00bi

alexius

Reaction score
i have now decided i am going to get a geforce 6600gt, but i dont know whether to get agp or pci version. i dont know what either mean and i read somewere that for one of them i have to upgrad eme motherboard. please help me

You will probably need the AGP version. The other version is a PCI-Express card which is only compatible with some of the newest systems.

What kind of computer do you have?

sry to change the subject but, asus, is PCI-E BETTER then agp?? im getting a new computer and if it is, i dont see why i shouldnt get it instead of agp :) thx

You know if you are going to upgrade you should know everything about your system or you might find that you are gonna get ass****ed.

Alexius, you need to know your MB.

From what you said though, I am 99.999% sure you do not have PCI-E (it just came out for AMD chips and yours is an older chip). All you need to do is check and make sure you have a 4x or 8X AGP slot. I suggest getting out your Mother Boards manual.

If you bought a prefab let us know the company and model number and one of us can check online. You MAY want to ask a friend knowledgable in computers to take a look at your system.

Btw, the 6600GT is a good buy.

Yes, if you're getting a new mobo or computer, get PCI Express (or a combo PCI-E / AGP.)

Note that you'll need a PCI Express video card to go in it, though! All the new cards are going to be PCI-E exclusive (such as the x850, etc)

It's a good investment in the future.

Your motherboard must be PCIe compatible. Chances are that yours is not. Oh yeah and PCIe is roughly twice as powerful as AGPx8. If you could give us a specific model of your motherboard than we can confirm this.

Gah, I really wouldn't trust most people here about computer hardware. You really should go to a hardware dedicated forum and ask questions. Chances are if you bought a pre-built system like HP or Dell, you do not have an AGP slot.

DarkSonic said:
Gah, I really wouldn't trust most people here about computer hardware. You really should go to a hardware dedicated forum and ask questions. Chances are if you bought a pre-built system like HP or Dell, you do not have an AGP slot.
So the fact that it is in general makes you suspicous of us? Even though I have built my own computer and have just finished research for building another one, with a PCI-E slot?

There are AGP versions of 6600Gt, but they are more expensive than the PCIX versions. Newegg has one at $240.
There are no mobos for AMD Athlons that support PCIx.

PCix is the future, but cards like 6800GT and x800XT AGP are still giving us the chance to stay in AGP land. Cards of the newer generation prolly wont have AGP versions.

DarkSonic said:

Whoa there, I haven't heard of any mobo in recent time (aside from those in EXTREMELY cheap bundles that use oboard video) not having AGP slots. Hell, I got a package from Gateway in 2001 and it had 4x AGP.

To find out, all you do is check your machines manual, or open the thing up.

PCI slots are different from AGP.

If you bought anything along the lines of Dell or the like, you can bet it's PCI, as DarkSonic stated.

RakuraiTenjin said:
Whoa there, I haven't heard of any mobo in recent time (aside from those in EXTREMELY cheap bundles that use oboard video) not having AGP slots. Hell, I got a package from Gateway in 2001 and it had 4x AGP.
I have 3 pre-built systems, none of them have an AGP slot.

Milkman, all I'm saying is that a lot of people who THINK they know about computers will say something and confuse the person. I'm saying that they would have a better chance of getting a more precise response if they were to go to a site that is DEDICATED to talking about hardware, instead of one where the main focus is Half life 2 in which there are tons of people that don't know much about computers.

Cormeh said:
If you bought anything along the lines of Dell or the like, you can bet it's PCI, as DarkSonic stated.

Thank you.

Cormeh said:

Erhmmm. I have a two year old hp pavilion and even that piece of shit has an agp 4x slot. Like rakurai (whatever his name is) said, i've never heard of a mobo in the past maybe 5 or so years that didn't have an agp slot.

Pulsar said:
There are AGP versions of 6600Gt, but they are more expensive than the PCIX versions. Newegg has one at $240.
There are no mobos for AMD Athlons that support PCIx.

PCix is the future, but cards like 6800GT and x800XT AGP are still giving us the chance to stay in AGP land. Cards of the newer generation prolly wont have AGP versions.

Point of clarification. PCI-Express is not shortened to PCIx. PCIx is a faster PCI bus architecture for server environments. Just like AGP is a fast graphics port for you PCI machine.

@Acert93, there are no PCIe mobos for AMD yet. Unless by "just came out" you mean in the last 24 hours. And by out i mean mass produced boards available for the average consumer not prototypes for anandtech/tomshardware/hardOCP/etc. Im sure of this because im waiting for AMD PCIe boards to hit the market so i build my new rig--damn it!

Well, I bought a Dell 2 years ago that had a PCI mobo.

If you purchased one that was AGP then thats cool, it's just it's a kind of run of the mill thing when it comes to these computers. (i.e. not highly custmoisable).

sinkoman said:
Erhmmm. I have a two year old hp pavilion and even that piece of shit has an agp 4x slot. Like rakurai (whatever his name is) said, i've never heard of a mobo in the past maybe 5 or so years that didn't have an agp slot.

Hell, my laptop that is more than 6 years old (currently retired, unless i have to give a talk) has an AGP 2x slot. However, there are a number of manufacturers that use onboard graphics and never bother to include an AGP. Without craking the case there is really no way to tell.

this PCI thing is BS i mean i heard its not even fatser it all Money making

Right now the Video power of cards is not enough to strain the AGP Bus, in a year PCI-e may be needed to transfer data between the video and other parts of the computer. So PCI-e is a lot more future proof..and it is not just a video bus, it is for Lan/Raid and anything one can stic on it. The Video slot is uaually a 16X slot, while PCI-e slots come in 1,2,4 & 8 X speeds as well as 16 :D

No one with an AMD system will have PCI-e slot unless you are lucky and bought from "special places" in the last few days :p ANd do not buy something with an AGP and PCI-e as the AGP slot is almost certainly a non standard AGP slot, will be very slow, and most AGP cards ewont work in it :(

Back