6800GS CSS Performance

Sanada

Reaction score
Hello again.

I started playing CSS a little more and have noticed that the performance of the card is the same if not worst than my 9700 Pro. I usually play on 40 player servers and my old card faired pretty well (average 20-40 FPS) with max detail apart from AA, AF although sometimes I had to turn model detail down, especially on de_port. My 6800GS seems to get the same and sometimes worst (average 15-40 FPS).

System specs:

P4 3.2GHz
2048MB PC3200
XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme Edition 256MB (AGP)

Is this normal for this card? I know the Source engine supposedly runs better on ATI cards but surely a more powerful nVidia card can't perform worst than a weaker ATI card? For the same amount of money I could've got a X800XL. I will try FEAR sometime and see how that performs.

Bit disappointed to be honest. :(

Yeah, there's something wrong here. Not sure what, though.

Did you uninstall all your old drivers? I get more fps than you...
Well goto google
get drive cleaner and uninstall all your old video card drivers
boot in safe mode install your new drivers
restart
and you shold be good

also try playing in a bigger resolution and check your af aa and other stuff that may be hindering your frame rates

I just did a test with 3DMark05 (Game tests and CPU tests). I got a score of 4388@stock. I saw that someone on another forum got 5185 but they unlocked theres to 16 pipes, 6 vertex engines and managed to overclock to 410/1000 maximum with a P4 3.0GHz

About the drivers, I've tried the latest ones from nVidia and the ones that came on the CD with the card. There's was no noticible difference between them. I have also formatted my HD (2 times infact, was setting up a RAID) so the previous drivers where wiped clean.

I'll try fiddling with the settings in CSS and see what happens.

EDIT:

Just did some tests in CSS. The first SS is with everything maxed out @ 1280x960 apart from AA/AF which is @ 2x/4x. The second SS is with everything as low as it'll go @ 640x480 yet difference is only around 5 FPS?

First:http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4681/csoffice00000xl.jpg

Second:http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7987/csoffice00029jb.jpg

Run at 1280 x 1024, turn of aa and af, put others settings to high, and see what kind of framerate you get on say dust2, just out of interest, aa and af could be causing a fair performance hit.

i have the same problem
moved from geforce4 ti to 6600gt
every other games are fine except css

longhorn88 said:
i have the same problem
moved from geforce4 ti to 6600gt
every other games are fine except css

Well, I changed from a Gf4 to a Gf6600GT a while ago, too but it clearly ran smoother with higher settings then. Did you try some older drivers, too? Do you have global Antialiasing disabled in the ForceWare setup?

I noticed last night when I was playing that maps other than cs_office played much better. While the FPS still wasn't great it was certainly better but I guess my CPU will become a bottle neck at some points.

I did a test on dust2. With everything maxed (including AA/AF) at 1280x960 I got around 80-130 FPS. I'm guessing the FPS problem only really occurs on certain maps. :/

Also, I'm using the latest drivers from nVidia.

Back