7 & Vista - Fixer/Tweaker

VirusType2

Reaction score
NOTE: Be careful with this ****ing software. Please read a little about them before using any of these.

There were a few things I didn't like about Windows and I think I've fixed them all now.

My jumplists were broken for about 4 months; for some reason it just wasn't there anymore and wouldn't work.

After spending hours searching for the problem I stumbled upon some really cool software that I'll share.

(Problem is fixed now, and I can pin favorite folders to the Explorer icon on the taskbar, for quick access):

explorerjumplist.jpg

FixWin

fixwin.jpg

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

"Repair & Fix Windows 7 & Vista problems with FixWin Utility"

(to be honest, I may have fixed my jumplists with this, I can't remember)

Ultimate Windows Tweaker [UWT]

uwt.jpg

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista#more-1957

"Ultimate Windows Tweaker, a Tweak UI for Windows 7 & Vista"

For example, I used it to reduce the width of windows borders (window padding). You can change your login wallpaper and do quite a few much more important things.

Something I've wanted for years but never had any luck finding:

"button to toggle auto-hide on or off for the taskbar"

http://download.cnet.com/Taskbar-Autohide/3000-2084_4-10831131.html

I pinned the [Taskbar Autohide toggle] to the notification area icons (near the clock). Then I dragged it to my startup folder in my start menu.

Now just click the icon (or use the hotkey) to turn auto-hide on or off.

- I just hate when I'm viewing an image that is exactly the resolution of my monitor, but the image viewer's border and taskbar make it so the image can't fit without being squished to fit. Plus I can stretch windows open a little bit further. Good for viewing several images or documents.

I hate auto-hide usually, and I hate turning auto-hide on and off when I want to use it. Problems fixed.

Other stuff:

I turned off Aero Shake because I have never got it to work except it will occasionally do it when I'm moving my video player (AKA when I didn't want it to do it)

I turned off Aero Snap because I like to push windows past the borders of the screen sometimes. Also, I find it's a bit too snappy and I can't arrange windows how I want. In my expert opinion, you should be required to hold SHIFT or CTRL before dragging a window to be snapped to edges. Even better would be the option of 'hold SHIFT to snap' or 'hold SHIFT to NOT snap' somewhere in preferences.

(WinFix will fix them back if you decide to disable them)

Submit your mods and ideas and stuff here (this never really goes well).

Classic Start Menu.
I can't get used to some parts of the Windows 7 interface, like the 'combine' taskbar feature(which can luckily be disabled without tweaking)

I won't lie: you must be completely insane to want the classic start menu. Like, poop-smeared-in-hair crazy.

I won't lie: you must be completely insane to want the classic start menu. Like, poop-smeared-in-hair crazy.

I hate not being able to see all programs in 1 list without scrolling.

"Enable support for 4GB of RAM on 32-bit Windows OS"

How does this work?

Does it come with the feature where I can enter my credit card credentials, passwords etc?

Windows 7: If you click an empty area of the desktop, then hold CTRL while scrolling the mouse wheel, you can now adjust the size of the icons (it's quite variable). They may take a few seconds to update into high resolution.

You should already know that you can do this in your supported web browser to change the size of fonts (and in some cases, images).

I didn't know you could pin favorite folders to the windows explorer task bar icon, that's pretty cool. Trying to figure out how to do it without any kind of software.

I didn't know you could pin favorite folders to the windows explorer task bar icon, that's pretty cool.
Trying to figure out how to do it without any kind of software.
You don't need any kind of software except Windows 7. It's a built-in feature.

First, pin explorer to the taskbar.

Then you can drag and drop folders to explorer to pin them.

To get the menu, right click on the explorer icon (in the taskbar).

PROTIP: while it also shows recent items in the menu, you can pin them as well (if you want them to stay). Click the blue 'thumbtack' to remove any pinned items.

EDIT: you can also pin 'GodMode' to explorer.

Windows 7: If you click an empty area of the desktop, then hold CTRL while scrolling the mouse wheel, you can now adjust the size of the icons (it's quite variable). They may take a few seconds to update into high resolution.

You should already know that you can do this in your supported web browser to change the size of fonts (and in some cases, images).

Just tested the icon resizing thing with vista and it works. I've been wanting to do this for ages. When I was using xp, I once asked if I could just resize my icons and Vegeta said something like "YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR WHOLE RESOLUTION."

Back