7800GTX Temperature

Cole

Reaction score
So I figured my 7800GTX Temp was idling to high at about 63-66 celcius. Well I was using a crappy case that only had 1 80mm fan. I switched over to a different case with 4 fans.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811146018

I like the case but my computer is running hotter. Im confused.....more fans should lower the heat...

The case says my Cpu temp is around 34, my Hd temp 29 and my Gfx Card temp 40. I put the cpu sensor on the heatsink, hd one on the hd, and the gfx card one right on the graphic card.

The Nvidia temp tool is saying im idling around 74-76!

My other fans are 2 fans on my PSU(One pointing down into my case, it's a True Power II 550)
One on my cpu(amd athlon 3500+), my small motherboard one, and the one on my graphic card.

All the fans are spinning so im confused!!! This is a damn nice case and the main reason I got it was so it would run cooler, not hotter!

Are some sucking air in or are they all pushing it out?

All seem to be pushing out.
Could it possibly the Temperature Detector on my graphics card is damaged?

Have some sucking air in.

Otherwise it is like taking and empty baloon and trying to suck more air out.

k thanks!
So I should just flip one or two fans around?

It would be best to run with 2 blowing in (in the front) and two blowing out (in the back).

This will replace the air within the case fastest, meaning better cooling.

Yep...something like that. If you have fans in the front have those suck air in. Keep the one on the top and very back of the case blowing air out and make a few of the other suck air in and that would work best.

Ok thanks. I'll have my back(120mm) and my top(80mm) blow out, and my front(120mm) and side(120mm) both blow air in.

Minerel said:
Ok thanks. I'll have my back(120mm) and my top(80mm) blow out, and my front(120mm) and side(120mm) both blow air in.

Just a suggestion - only flip the front one to blow in, keep the side one (and back and top) blowing out. Bssically, you are looking to create an air vacuum.

Hulk

The Hulk said:
Just a suggestion - only flip the front one to blow in, keep the side one (and back and top) blowing out. Bssically, you are looking to create an air vacuum.

Hulk

Actually you want as much air flowing through your case as you can get. An air vacuum means lack of air which means there are less air particles to absorb heat.

right, its best to have a one way air flow in your case. its more efficient. like 2 on front and 2 on back. its dissipates the heat all in one direction. also u can get a more quieter efficient cooler for your graphics card for a low price. the nvidia stock coolers are a bit pants

What do you think is a good cpu / gpu temp? When under stress, my cpu (3800+ X2) averages 42 C and 47 max, and my gpu (6800 256mb) is 45 C average and 52 max. Good/excellent or meh/terrible temps?

That is good. My card right now is idling 56c. Might need to clean the dust out...

DEATHMASTER said:
What do you think is a good cpu / gpu temp? When under stress, my cpu (3800+ X2) averages 42 C and 47 max, and my gpu (6800 256mb) is 45 C average and 52 max. Good/excellent or meh/terrible temps?

perfect.

For Invidia cards (If I'm correct) Idle at 50-60 degrees C, and can go as high as 70-80c on full load.
However, if you set your threshold warning on by marking (notify when GPU core temp. exceeds threshold) in the adapter temp setting, system will let you know when temp gets higher than recommended.
My 6800 is 52 degrees C. as I write to you so no worries.

As far as fans go: You should have the HDD fan (Which is the one on the front of the case) suck air in to move hot air away from HDD, fan on CPU should also draw hot air away from heatsink, the rest of the fans (Top, side and back) should exhaust air out of the case.

Good Luck.

If you want cooler temps, spread cooking oil on your graphics card. Worked for me.

Anyway, I seem to have too high temps. Under load, my GPU temps often get to 77C and my CPU goes to 65C max.

WARNING: I AM NOT LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE IF THERE IS ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER. VEGETABLE OIL HAS WORKED FOR ME, BUT MAY NOT WORK ON YOURS.

My CPU temp is 75C most of the time. Yes, I know it's high.

Back