9/11: The Game?!?! WTF?!

tokin

Reaction score
RUMOR #3: Someone is making a videogame which will feature the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Source: The developer of the game, Germany-based Replay Studios.

The official story: GameSpot could not reach Replay officials for comment.

What we heard: When posts with headlines such as "9/11: The Game" started popping up on various forums, many thought the game would an offensive creation by terrorist sympathizers, similar to the (unfortunately) abundant suicide-bomber flash games. Like most things in life, however, the reality was much more complex. According to Replay, the game, entitled Survivor, "is a third-person disaster survival game with highly interactive locations, based on famous, authentic-historical disaster scenarios." This will not only include the horrors of 9/11, but the 1985 Mexico City Earthquake, the 1945 Hiroshima bombing, and the sinking of the Titanic. Why would anyone want to experience any of these hellish events? "We call this unique genre 'Reality Gaming,'" goes Replay's sales pitch, "The highly original single-player game concept has never been seen before." Incidentally, the highly original single-player game has not yet found a publisher.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.

Yeah, I don't know what to believe but this idea sounds extremely wild, i wonder if this company could pull it off and make it HUGE.

Big ****ing deal, about time someone made a game containing something like that. I knew it would happen eventually, and must remember that a game is a game, meant to simulate, stimulate, or educate.

I think they're hopng for success based off the shock value...

it doesn't sound like it could possibly even be fun.

sure will be crap

but the questiong is what will be about?
you will hav to shoot the planes?

(if I am offending sorry)

CyberSh33p said:
I think they're hopng for success based off the shock value...

probably.
now i don't pretend to know how educational games can be...and im sure it will be question on this particular game.. but hey?
maybe its something to learn from? i dunno.

CyberSh33p said:

How exactly can they make it fun? Unless you're an anti-Ameircan terrorist that enjoys flying planes into buildings, that is.

Escaping the Titanic might be fun (James Cameron has already made a debacleroo about it).
But 9/11 and Hiroshima? Na-ah.
Edit: Upon further consideration, I can not find the entertainment value of trying to escape a nuclear blast that travels the speed of sound...

Shuzer said:
How exactly can they make it fun? Unless you're an anti-Ameircan terrorist that enjoys flying planes into buildings, that is.

Apparently the point of the game is to survive the disaster...

Doesn't sound like much fun anyway. :|

Has anyone seen that PS2 game where you have to assasinate terrorists? I saw Osama and Saddam on the cover.

I don't know about this.....seems kinda soon to be making a game based on 9/11.

Sounds kind of interesting. Can't wait to see how it will look like when you are aboard Titanic. :)

The word "distastefull" just dosent quite cut it...

:|

I dont have a problem with it. Everyone is playing WW2 games/mods right now.

I dont affect me the same way because i wasnt there.

It sounds like an interesting game though... i cant hide that.

Edit: How about a mod? :)

I have no problem with it being distasteful (just look at Counter Strike), but it really doesn't sound very interesting at all.

Loke said:
Sounds kind of interesting. Can't wait to see how it will look like when you are aboard Titanic. :)
Let's hope it's a very mighty and engrossing experience :)

Disturbing as it is for some Americans, and possibly others, I can't see why we can play WW2 games all day but not anything with 9/11. Are WW2 vets horrified that kiddies not only enjoy these games but also make forum posts about which is better? Possibly. Are Satanists horrified at Doom 3. Possibly. Will a larger portion of people be annoyed at a 9//11 game? Probably.

how the hell are they supposed to make "escaping hiroshima?" you run for 5 seconds before getting disintigrated by the nuke?

EDIT: whoever thinks this game will actually be released in america is a tard.

I think It'd be fun playing Dale Earndhart and crashing the Space Shuttle Columbia into the World Trade Centers.

That is the point of this game, is it not?

[sarcasm]I got another idea, you play a german infantryman in WW2 and have too see how many escaping GI's you can shoot in 2 mins![/sarcasm]

burnzie said:
The word "distastefull" just dosent quite cut it...

:|

i agree. and about the whole, we can play WWII games why can't we play this... in my opinion, WWII games are pretty darn distasteful too... and we waited fifty-some years before making any. If this rumor is true, it's only been three years as opposed to fifty
Distasteful? yes

Everyone knows there is a certain waiting period before real-life tragedy can be exploited for entertainment and profit.

its sad that these developers are capitalizing on other peoples misfortune and suffering
i hope it never gets released

qckbeam said:
Everyone knows there is a certain waiting period before real-life tragedy can be exploited for entertainment and profit.

/me nods along with qckbeam.

I wonder if there will be a part in the game where your a german trying to shoot all the jews.. isnt that the point of the game? re-enact disasters?

Humph just some food for thought.

Looks like thats going to be a non-seller!

it will be a stupid failure that will hopefully make them go bankrupt. I dunno about you guys but don't count on me playing it.

Although the 9/11 bit sounds a bit tasteless, the game has an interesting concept.

I'd be more for "inspired by" events that never happened. Having to live through a nightmarish terror, in a way that glorifies it and makes it fun, is not the way to go with real life events.

The same could be said for FPS that are done in the fashion of a real event (ie. WW2 shooters), but hey, I've never been one for enjoying those games anyway.. wayyyy too overdone, so much, infact, that it's become stale.

Whats the big deal, really? Interesting concept if you ask me. And don't tell me your offended by it because it depicts innocent people being harmed. You'd say that but then you go back to running over hookers in vice city and dropping bombs on germany in mohaa or something. Its no different than any other game, except instead of you hurting someone, you just have to escape from being hurt yourself.

Uh, I could play this. I think this would be fun, and to be put into the seat of whats going on would really shed some light on me. :D

I think it would be exciting. But hold, I guess im the only American here who thinks that. :p

qckbeam said:

According to South Park it's something like 2.3 years.

I want a game where you are one of Usama's students... and in the final lesson, you got to fly that aeroplane into WTC..

that should be refreshing for once.

Innervision961 said:
Whats the big deal, really? Interesting concept if you ask me. And don't tell me your offended by it because it depicts innocent people being harmed. You'd say that but then you go back to running over hookers in vice city and dropping bombs on germany in mohaa or something. Its no different than any other game, except instead of you hurting someone, you just have to escape from being hurt yourself.

The difference is that hookers aren't gonna give much of a crap if they're depicted poorly in vice city. I haven't heard of a bunch of hookers picketing to ban the game yet. Whereas people's lives were completely ruined by the terrorist attacks on 9-11. If it is released, there is sure to be outrage against the game other than it's overly violent.

Back