9800NP/Pro to 9800xt Full Guide / Files

Gunner

Tank
Reaction score
To all you R9800 NP/P owners here's another way to crank up the fps without any effort. I first bought my Hercules R9800 in september 2003 back when I was convinced we were just days away from HL2, a month later I soft-modded it to a PRO and last night I flashed it again to XT!

I haven't done any benchmarks because I simply do not want to, but the important thing is I haven't noticed any artifacts or tearing while playing games. So far it's a success.

Here's how you do it:

Click here for original thread!

Before we flash our 9800's we need to prepare ourselves with what we will need to flash the BIOS. Below is a list/link to everything you will need:
An ATI Radeon 9800NP or Pro capable of 412MHz core clock and 365MHz (730MHz DDR) memory clock:

-Flashrom v2.23 (Can be downloaded here)
-A copy of the ATi Radeon 9800XT BIOS (Can be downloaded here)
-A bootable floppy disk (Can be downloaded here)

Now that we know exactly what we need lets begin to flash this bad boy, shall we? Ok, you will begin by creating your bootable floppy disk and placing the extracted flashrom files (DOS4GW.exe, FLASHROM.exe, FLASHROM.rom). Once you have moved these files over to the disk you can place the BIOS file (The one you downloaded) on the disk and prepare to flash. Once you restart your PC with the floppy disk in the drive you should see "Caldera Dr.Dos 2.xx" on your screen. Once everything is loaded you are ready to flash. Before you flash however, I recommend backing up your current BIOS by typing " flashrom -s 0 original.bin" at the A:\ prompt. Your BIOS is now saved to the floppy disk and you can use this in case of a bad flash.

Now you are finally ready to flash. After the BIOS has been saved to your floppy type "flashrom -p 0 name.of.the.bios.bin". Flashrom should begin to flash your BIOS and you should see a final message saying "6xxxx of 6xxxx bytes verified". Once you see this message your 9800 is successfully flashed with the Radeon 9800XT BIOS. Now restart your system and continue to install the drivers of your choice. A word of caution, after flashing your monitor may flicker off while loading windows. This is normal and your monitor should return in the on mode within a few seconds. Also when you are installing your video drivers the same thing will take place. Do not worry people, this is normal.

If you have followed these steps you should now have a fully functional Radeon 9800XT.

Click here for original thread!

Back