9800XT available for purchase at ati.com

SaltyCrackers

Reaction score
On ATI's homepage, you are able to buy the 9800xt 256mb...there is also a graphic of the ATi-made board in its box (looks like the 9800box, but w/ flames in background). want the 128mb version, and I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail. Since ati is selling it on their site, I guess it will be available at retail very soon.

http://www.ati.com

Oh, one other thing that is kind of off topic: will HL2 make use of the 256mb cards? I plan on upgrading graphics cards every year, so I'd think buying a 128mb of the xt is the smarter choice, since no games now use 256mb memory...

in the words of gabe: "we are in no way limited by graphical memory."

edit:

but oh, to have $500.

initally, hl2 won't take advantage of 256mb cards, but Gbe said that they'd be releasing contnent later (textures, etc) that would take afdvantage of those features.

Maybe the expansion will feature really really really high resolution textures as an extra...

If one is upgrading every year, then the 128mb version is definetly the better buy. I think 128mb will stick around a while, they will optimise speed instead of going insanly high resolutions... 256mb is overdoing it.

I cant see why the "plain" 9800 256 for about $427 (price should drop....) should not be just as good.

Back