9800xt

O

OtherLight

Heres a possibility...

We all know that Valve and ATI have a 6 million dollar deal to sell hl2 with the new 9800XT. What if part of the deal involved that ATI *and possibly steam* had to be the only method of recieving the game until the *Gasp* speculated November/December release date. If this were true, Im sure that it would spark more people to choose the 9800 XT as their card of choice mainly for the reason that that would be one of the only methods of obtaining a "hard copy" of the game.
Makes you think doesnt it...

my god, you sir are a genuis, what are you doing on forums? you should be in harvard by now!

Well, if Valve is wanting to make Steam a popular choice for gamers, having it on Steam long before the shelves would be a good way to do that. Keep in mind that Valve makes 30 bucks per steam copy of HL2 sold and $7.50 per retail copy.

this is exactly what i said like 2 weeks ago...most likley this is going to be the case since ATI even says on there site be the first to try both HL2 and 9800xt

man, i want to give my money to valve just as much as the next guy on this forum...
but..
when hl2 comes out, I WANT TO BUY IT. not get it through a transaction on-line and 'download it' i 'download' all my games for free, it jsut doesn't seem right to do that with hl2, even if i am paying... i want to go to a STORE and give them CASH and take home a BOX and open the CASE and pop in the CD and read the MANUAL and look at the PICTURES on the BOX and the CD and teh MANUAL.

I would be pissed.. I can't afford to buy a 9800XT let alone just to get HL2 early. I'm getting a 9600Pro though.. soon.

I'm definently going to buy HL2 via Steam. I don't care if there is no manual or box to look at, I just want the game and I'm satisfied with Steam.

Originally posted by Quotidian---
man, i want to give my money to valve just as much as the next guy on this forum...
but..
when hl2 comes out, I WANT TO BUY IT. not get it through a transaction on-line and 'download it' i 'download' all my games for free, it jsut doesn't seem right to do that with hl2, even if i am paying... i want to go to a STORE and give them CASH and take home a BOX and open the CASE and pop in the CD and read the MANUAL and look at the PICTURES on the BOX and the CD and teh MANUAL.

Despite his obvious psychosis, I agree with the man.

I'm not sure this nuance has been covered or not.

It >would< make sense though. If true, I'm sticking with plan B: suscribe to the steam version until the special edition comes out on the shelves.

Plan A, of course, is that it will be on US shelves on the 30th and I buy the thing immediately.

Btw, I'll take a few minutes off work and be at the door of the local CompUSA when they open for business on Tuesday.

AND, I'll go there Monday night to see if they have any news/promo materials on hand.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to do this.

Clearly, I'll post any (probably redundant) news I get.

They haven't said anything about the price yet, or whats inside of the box.

I dont think they would do this.

9/30: Purchase 9800XT with HL2

10/1: "Uhh...my card doesnt work anymore...It sucks, I want to return it"

Bingo, Free HL2.

I dont think they are this dumb.

Originally posted by nullvector
I dont think they would do this.

9/30: Purchase 9800XT with HL2

10/1: "Uhh...my card doesnt work anymore...It sucks, I want to return it"

Bingo, Free HL2.

I dont think they are this dumb.

quite possibly, take CD key, and burn HL2 ;)

You all are aware the version of HL2 that ships with the 9800XT is not the full version. It contains a mutated version with a "special" map you only get by buying the XT.

"About an hour ago I talked to a manager at the local GameSpot about Half-Life 2. I asked him about the release date and about all the rumors relating to it. He said that it wasn't going to make its September 30th date. He knew this because he recently went to a training seminar where Valve showed up and talked about HL2, showing the same footage from E3. They said that unfortunately they would not make their date but would release it hopefully sometime before Christmas."

ah crap even more poodoo

Where's that army of moderators Munro was talking about?

I think its time it mobilizes......

Originally posted by Viper118
Well, if Valve is wanting to make Steam a popular choice for gamers, having it on Steam long before the shelves would be a good way to do that. Keep in mind that Valve makes 30 bucks per steam copy of HL2 sold and $7.50 per retail copy.

apart from the fact that the vast majority of HL2 players wont buy it from steam thus meaning it would be totaly gay.

and also that Gabe said the retail and DL versions would release on the same date.

uhh so a headcrab cant delete double posts then?

:dozey:

I would be the happiest man on the planet if the XT/HL2 bundle came out on the 30th! As long as I don't want to see all the DX.9 coolness then my GF4 will play well enuf. Second rig w/ the older GF3 is gonna chug. Sooooo....hell I need a new vidcard anyways...and the best on the market WITH HL2??!!? Sign me up!

However, I believe the point is moot since the latest from ATI was that the bundle would be out a coupla weeks AFTER the initial release.

Originally posted by Dougy
apart from the fact that the vast majority of HL2 players wont buy it from steam thus meaning it would be totaly gay.

and also that Gabe said the retail and DL versions would release on the same date.

10 bucks gets you a month of all their games. I'm planning on doing this if the retail isn't out as soon as the steam copy is.

Originally posted by Viper118
10 bucks gets you a month of all their games. I'm planning on doing this if the retail isn't out as soon as the steam copy is.

yeah if you have a credit card

witch i dont cos

A. im 17

B. i havent been employed long enough to get 1

Back