A few problems.... easy for you... hard for me

D

daver_

Hi,
I just started using Hammer two days ago and I've created a map. Well I'm having a few subtle problems.

1. My dynamic light (created after the one in the tutorial) is bound to the rope.. but there is no light eminated and the fixture cannot be seen, though if you run the map you can shoot where it should be and the rope physics work. Also, the light (dynamic light) entity emits nothing; the color is right, the direction is right, and the brightness is 4.

2. If I add an enemy no matter what I do when I run the map the bad guy never attacks me. I used the 'monster_generic' entity.

3. Objects never show up.. I added a couch using 'prop_static' and it doesn't show up when run.

4. And last but not least my two tone terrain doesn't show. I used 'paint alpha' to create it but when the map is run... no show!?

This is my first map attempt, I'm just trying to learn the basics!

I attached the 'vmf' stuff take a look. Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• house.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 68
First off, your map is not sealed. Also note that displacements (the ground in your case) do not seal the map.

Second, Map > Snap to Grid (Shift+W) and Show grid if you dont have it already. This will help you prevent leaks by having brushes touch each other and not going by sight. It'll also keep brushes from going into each other (bad thing, generally)

Now, the reason you have no light is because the map is not sealed. So after you seal it up and fix all those brushes that ram through each other show us what you got.

But hey, thats a nice house for only 2 days

thanks a lot! I'll giver a go and re-post; though gimme a few hours :)

You're saying that the brushes are colliding? ie. walls? I went through and cleaned up what I could find still no light. Am I not understanding?

Can't post pix, I have a really crappy paint program..

Attachments

• house1.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 62
Limpet,..... YOU DA' MAN!

Leaks are fixed looks like a beauty! I can't thank enought...... no I don't suppose you know how to make the bad guys attack me?? :)

You're welcome.
Oh and before I forget. When you compile your map and you notice that light doesn't get compiled. That is a good sign that you have a leak somewhere.
So to solve this, you go up to map > load pointfile. Now it will ask you if you want to load the default pointfile. Click yes and a red line will show up through your map. Follow this line until it goes out to the void. Seal up that hole.

Here's an example of brushes overlapping each other in your first map.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6250/overlap1di.jpg

And no I don't know how to get monsters to attack. I haven't really messed with that aspect of mapping yet.

Hi Again,
After sealing all the brush problems the lighting works. But the lamp entity (prop) still doesnt show. I can shoot at it in the game and the rope and light reacts as if it were there, but I can't get the damn thing to show!?

Any ideas?

Open up the properties and look for the start fade dist and end fade dist.
Start fade dist: -1
End fade dist: 0

Hammer has a graphical way of setting thoose values. When you select the entity, in the grid views in the middle of the box that outlines the entity you'll see a circle with 4 handles in the middle of the entity. Also if you pull the circle out far enough you'll see a yellow wireframe sphere around the entity in the 3d view.

Thanks Limpet!
I'll giver' a go tonight, 12 hour work day today.... probably be late by the time I post. I actually saw you post that on another thread I was going to try it :) either way :)

If your NPCs still dont attack you try the following:

1. make sure the AI is enabled (Should be enabled by default)- find the command in the console
2. Make sure you use Nodes.
Path Nodes are the most important basic kind.
This will let the NPC know were you are standing relitive to his possition and will allow him to find the best path to get to you.

sorry bout the post bump.
I am at the point in mapping between noob and not-so-noob.
I can do everything that makes a map, swinging lights in buildings, good architecture, I can make it look artistic (art is my hobby and life.. but the art produced now* convinced me that I will find my niche in map making)

The problem is I have made a building (style of barn conversion) and im extendind the map.
when I compiled the map (all on nomal settings)

1- in hammer I viewed the blended textures as I wanted them, as if it were a dirt track for horse and cart, cobble being subtle as if grass/moss had overgrown it in time, when i compile the map I see the oppostite effect.
As i compile the map and play, all the blended textures reverse.
I get cobble where I wanted grass and grass where I wanted cobble. I have used the invert alpha tool but to no avail.

2- I made a very good barn conversion as a part of a rural css map, when I compile the map everything apart from a 1/4 of the map is dark (as if no light is being cast)

is this because of leaks?

please please help me, ive spent my saturday trying to sort the problem, thats 16 hrs now ive been at it! i feel like such a noob

please help

ME
*its that bad.. at least warhol didnt taint the soup!

Compile log.

thats not a viable answer, please tell me ow to fix the problem. there are no compile errors!

1- in hammer I viewed the blended textures as I wanted them, as if it were a dirt track for horse and cart, cobble being subtle as if grass/moss had overgrown it in time, when i compile the map I see the oppostite effect.
As i compile the map and play, all the blended textures reverse.
I get cobble where I wanted grass and grass where I wanted cobble. I have used the invert alpha tool but to no avail.

2- I made a very good barn conversion as a part of a rural css map, when I compile the map everything apart from a 1/4 of the map is dark (as if no light is being cast) the griund around 1 side of the building can be seen, the rest of the ground is dark as if there is no light, everything in the building is fine.

please help me

Just because there are no compile errors doesn't mean that there won't be some useful info in there. Do you have developer on and look though info when the map is loading? Might tell you something there too.

Your npc's wont work because you made them monster_generic. If you want npc's to your map, add npc_combine, npc_headcrab, etc. They are all different entities.

Back