A few questions about a PC i'm about to purchase.

YROC

Formerly Hokey McSmokey
Reaction score
So, i'm kind of a nub when it comes to the insides of computers. I'm about to buy this one from some guy on craigslist. It's an HP slimline. I don't know the exact model. The specs that were listed are "Pentium dual core E5300 2.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM DDR 2, 500 GB 7200 rpm Hard drive , GPU is media accelerator 3100, Windows vista premium, DVD writer."

The dvd writer is the first thing that I need some info on. That being - Can dvd writers also burn music and programs onto discs or just DVD movies? (This is probably a really stupid question, but I already mentioned my nubness.)

Second question is - There isn't anything mentioned about a video card. And i've heard someone mention "onboard video" or something similar to that. I'm wanting to use this for gaming. It would be my first gaming PC. So, is this "on board video" good for gaming or am I going to have to install my own video card?

Pics. The first two are pretty poor quality.
2hx6efn.jpg

2lmo4d5.jpg

j93jbp.jpg

Yes it can.

Do you have any friends with PC-building experience? It is ALWAYS better to build your own, both better parts and lower prices.

Onboard video is usually weaksauce and essentially means the hardwired GPU on the motherboard. It may be good though, since it's probably a board built specifically for HP. Either way, building a PC is always going to give you a better product. How much is it? I'm looking at building a PC with similar/superior specs to yours and it works out to just shy of 800 bucks. I could give you links to the parts I'll be buying for it. That HP has a lot of parts that will be outdated very soon already on it, and HP is a BITCH to modify.

Dont touch that thing unless its like insanely cheap (liek 50$). You cant play shit on an onboard card and upgrading will be nearly impossible with that form factor. I suggest you either build one your self or pay some one to do it (like local pc shop or mb something like newsegg (not sure what you got there in the states).
If you are gonna have it for games I recommend some thing like this :

i5 750 (4cores)

4/2GB DDR3 (OFC)

w8 like a couple of weeks for nvidias new series of graphic cards. You never know how the market is gonna look after that.

(sorry if this is a confusing answer in tired)

He's asking 375 for it. It still has the warranty, original packaging and everything.

I do have a few friends with PC building experience, but i'm thinking they would try to rip me off, with my lack of knowledge and whatnot.

Does it even have a PCIe slot? If not, then it's worthless for almost any 3D gaming.

I upgraded to an i5-750, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 ultimate ($20), and a motherboard for that price. (about $375)

He's asking 375 for it. It still has the warranty, original packaging and everything.

I do have a few friends with PC building experience, but i'm thinking they would try to rip me off, with my lack of knowledge and whatnot.

Hardly real friends, then, right?

If you want I can price out a PC for ya that would work, you order the parts, then go find a friend who will put it together for you.

Well, who knows if they actually would, i'm just paranoid as hell with my money. And, if you want to, that would be great.

Does it even have a PCIe slot? If not, then it's worthless for almost any 3D gaming.
It wasn't mentioned.

No, I'd save your money to get something more practical.

It wasn't mentioned.
Better find out first. We've got 3 HP's around here with no PCIe slot.
I don't know the exact model.
If you find out the model, then you can look it up.

Otherwise, I would say you're taking a big chance buying this computer.

Looks like an awful deal. If you're not good at building PCs, although I dislike dell you might need to buy something pre-built with a graphics card in it. Feel free to come and ask us on anything you find.

Also since your budget is restricted you won't be able to buy a super brilliant gaming PC which will run everything on super high so give us an idea of what games you would like to play.

GPU accelerators like this pc on craigslist isn't good enough. Don't waste your money.

Well, I don't really plan on playing too many highend games. I was really planning on giving the HalfLife series a go on the PC. Never played the first one and I hear good things about the PC versions.

EDIT: I'll get the model and ask about that PCIe slot before I go to work tonight.

Stay away from places like Dell, they charge insanely high prices. If you're looking for a decent PC check newegg. The one you mentioned probably isn't a very good deal. For $350 it's going to be hard to get a decent gaming PC. $650 or so is going to be close to the minimum.

I did want it to be my first gaming PC, but I don't want it to come off as the only thing i'll use it for. Waiting on Maestro to hook me up with that list. I've got a few days to decide on what I really want to do, so no rush.

New Comp
DVD Writer
4GB DDR3 RAM
Microsoft KB/Mouse
Rosewill R220 ATX Midtower
HIS Radeon 4870 1GB GPU
750W Power Supply
Western Digital 500GB HDD
Windows 7 Activation Key
ASUS Socket AM3 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core CPU

Keep in mind it's been a month since I priced this, and it has no monitor. All in all, when checked last, it was 784.25USD including shipping. This may have changed.

If you buy, say an 18" monitor on sale, add an additional 100 bucks. This is not a cheap computer, but there are enough slots for double the RAM and an additional PCIe 2.0x16 which means you can add a new card of the same type later on and then CrossFire them for better GPU performance.

I did not list thermal paste for your CPU, either. You need to buy some to apply to the CPU and the heatsink.

Guy told me this when I asked for model.

"The model is HP Pavilion slimline. Yes, there is PCIe slot."

I think he's more clueless than I am.

Thanks for that list. I'm going to look into tomrrow on my day off. :D

Keep in mind you want a 16x PCI-Express slot not just any PCI-Express for a graphics card. There are PCI-Express 1x and 4x slots. He could be talking about one of those which won't fit a GPU card.

Don't confuse the man, Asus!

If you think what I've shown is too expensive, I wouldn't mind pricing out a lighter-duty computer for 600ish, but any less and you won't have a decent gaming computer at all.

Guy told me this when I asked for model.

"The model is HP Pavilion slimline. Yes, there is PCIe slot."

I think he's more clueless than I am.

Thanks for that list. I'm going to look into tomrrow on my day off. :D
Jesus. If he can't even give you the model number, I wouldn't buy it.

"Ford automobile for sale"

Well what ****ing kind?

There's almost certainly a sticker on the front, top, back, or even the bottom of the machine clearly labeled as 'Model Number'.

Just got back from work. And Maestro, a $600-ish (can go over or under) list would be appreciated. I want something for gaming, but still kinda affordable.

Heres a quick one i threw together for 600. You'll still need things like a keyboard, mouse monitor, etc. but if you're replacing a older pc you can just use the stuff from that one. This computer will be pretty much as good as the one I am using now, and I can play every game out right now on high settings.

59907521.jpg

So, minus the keyboard, mouse, monitor - That would be all I would have to order to put together a new computer?

And I don't see a HDD on that list, unless it's named something else.

Btw, did you make that list on newegg?

Oh, whoops. I thought I added one in there. A 500 gig one will cost about 50 bucks, so it came out to 600 dollars and some change. But yea, besides those peripherals, thats all you need.

Oh okay. I showed someone the list and they said something about mounting points. Do you know anything about that?

[02:17] <Shoe> Hokey, you're putting a micro ATX mobo in a Midsized tower?
[02:18] <M.Lucifer> Is that the CPU equivalent of socks down your trousers?
[02:18] <Shoe> reverse idea.
[02:19] <M.Lucifer> ya but da towa maex it look bigga
[02:19] <Shoe> If the case has micro mount points, he's good.

You guys really have no clues about computers... ITS A SLIMLINE you cant fit a decent gfx card in it, as I said forget about that pc. Also ATI 4850/4870 are last generation cards why would you recommend something like that to him?
I suggest you go to a proper hardware g33k forum and ask for help there. (I dont know what sites you use over there)

Not sure why Krynn recommended putting a micro-ATX mobo into a normal tower. They are intended for micro-towers in things like medic pcs. He forgot a HDD so I have to assume he was half asleep when he put that together.

Perhaps VirusType2 or Asus might put a build together which you can rely upon instead. Are you confident enough to build this yourself?

If not you can get pre-built machines from newegg, but you do pay a bit more for them putting it together. Here is a $600 example - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229172 (I don't like the case personally but it could be worse!)

Lastly to emphasise one more time, don't buy that awful waste of money PC from craigslist. I'm certain PC sellers feign understanding or model number knowledge so you are kept in the dark (and you could google the model number and realise he's ripping you off). Really dodgy, stay clear.

Also ATI 4850/4870 are last generation cards why would you recommend something like that to him?
Because he has on a restricted budget of around $600, did you read the thread? We could recommend 5970's or 295's but they cost $500 according to newegg. $100 left for everything else. Outstanding.

Not sure why Krynn recommended putting a micro-ATX mobo into a normal tower. They are intended for micro-towers in things like medic pcs. He forgot a HDD so I have to assume he was half asleep when he put that together.

Hah, yeah. It was really late. I didn't even check the form factor of the mobo.

Because he has on a restricted budget of around $600, did you read the thread? We could recommend 5970's or 295's but they cost $500 according to newegg. $100 left for everything else. Outstanding.

You can get lower end 5000 series cards, but you're just paying extra for DX11 compatibility for what's essentailly 4000 series. How many games require DX11? Any at all? BF:BC2 is the first game I've heard that even uses DX11.

Best thing about PCs is upgrading stuff. Makes everything exciting again. "Aw man check out how many FPS I've got from my new RAM"

Yeah, I decided not to buy that computer from craigslist. I asked for the serial number and he said he didn't have it. Then I was like "Doesn't that make the goddamn warranty useless then?" No reply yet, but I really appreciate the help guys. Glenn, that PC you linked is actually pretty neat.

And as far as taking a computer apart, putting it back together goes, i've taken this one here apart numerous times for different reasons. Last time was because the fan in the power supply was vibrating/making noises. So, I think I could put one together. The only thing that confuses me are the little plugs. Those things are difficult to disconnect.

You can get lower end 5000 series cards, but you're just paying extra for DX11 compatibility for what's essentailly 4000 series. How many games require DX11? Any at all? BF:BC2 is the first game I've heard that even uses DX11.

Dirt 2 also uses it.

Mid-tower cases also have support for micro atx boards. I think Krynn's build is really good for what you'd want.
The 4850 is a great card and will fulfill your desires.

Most ATX mid-towers have mounting hardpoints for Micro-ATX. I don't like Intel's asking price for their CPUs, though. I think there are better CPUs for the money.

attachment.php

2.6GHz Quad Core Athlon II
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
550W Power Supply
DVD/CD Writer
ATX Midtower Case
Asus Socket AM3 Mobo
ATI Radeon HD 4850

This thing will run Crysis at medium detail, up the GPU to the 4870 and it will pull it on High. This is a midline gaming PC that will be good for any game in the next 3 years. DX11 may necessitate a 57 series later, but for the same model the 48 beats out its successor on graphics benchmarks for the money.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
Hard Drive
DVD/CD Writer
Power Supply
RAM
Case

That's a full case of power-goodness.

Attachments

• New PC.jpg
    New PC.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 334
So, everything on that list and i'm good to go. :3 That's awesome.

Btw, what site is that? Newegg?

Edit: Tried to make an account on newegg and the sever was down! >;o

Newegg is an e-tailer, and since they're Canadian there's no tax in the US on shipments. And yes, if you get an OS it should work perfectly. It's a similar build to mine, except I got a different PSU and GPU.

Newegg charges the appropriate state and/or local sales tax for any order shipping to California, New Jersey, and Tennessee.

:c

/location

Damn you newegg.

lol, that one pc quickly jumped from 600 to 700. D;
sav4v7.jpg

Take out the HD 5670 and replace it with a Nvidia 8800GT or something for, well, $120, and thats a pretty decent PC for your needs. They're about £80 here in the UK so I'm guessing prices.

I've had an 8800GT in my PC for the past 2 years now, never had a problem with any game I've thrown at it on max settings.

I would drop the quad for a 3 core CPU if it would mean you could get a better GPU. And if you don't need to buy asap then maybe wait a bit for something like that case or one similar to go on sale. Make sure a case has free shipping too or you might as well buy an $80 case with free shipping over a $50 one with shipping charges.

I don't know that the triple-cores are cheaper by a large enough margin to upgrade your GPU. It's only about a 20-25 dollar difference.

Newegg is an e-tailer, and since they're Canadian there's no tax in the US on shipments.
Where did you hear they are Canadian? Newegg warehouse locations:
United States

* Edison, New Jersey
* Los Angeles, California
* Memphis, Tennessee

[edit] China

* China (undisclosed city)
http://shopping.wikia.com/wiki/Newegg.com#Warehouse_locations

from their FAQ:
*TN and NJ residents are charged according to their state and local tax rate
*CA residents in Los Angeles county are charged 8.25% sales tax
*CA residents outside Los Angeles county are charged 7.25% sales tax

California orders outside of Los Angeles county are not charged for district tax because we do not have a physical presence outside the L.A. district / county**:

*Sales Tax: 6.00%
*County Tax: 0.25%
*Combined State and Local Tax: 1.00%
*District Tax (L.A. County only): 1.00%
I believe that in all other states, you are supposed to announce online purchases on your tax return forms so that you can be taxed appropriately.

So all the tax for me (i'm in tn) are already charged when I hit the checkout button? That would be nice.

Back