A half life movie. Who should star in it?

GordonFTW

Reaction score
What are they waiting for??? We need a DIE HARD spielberg HL fan writing a script and directing it. Gabe newell is such an Ahole when he blocks production for a HL movie. The story is perfect. Dr. House is too old however, but this guy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamsl2D_HJ4

The video also has a catchy tune:LOL:

Several scripts have been made up, but Valve have rejected them all. They don't want their flagship franchise ruined by a crappy movie. I don't want that, and I know you wouldn't want that either. It would be great if they made a movie, but I would like to see it based more on the Resistance as opposed to the adventures of Freeman, because it would be pretty bad if Freeman spoke, and directors can't have their main character to be a mute. Maybe they could have flashbacks. If they were to concentrate on Black Mesa first, they would focus on the USMC as opposed to Freeman.

Why couldn't you just post this in the other thread that you had already bumped? This has been done to death.

It may happen one day... maybe... in may.

But honestly I think the issue is that Gordon doesn't have a character that they'd have to make it up... then it could turn out like Doom or something. A story that takes a handful of stuff from a franchise, sucks all the cool parts out, and builds a story no one cares about. I mean they can only get so far with explosions and shootouts. It's not like they can change it up with physics puzzles or random g-man shots.

The idea of a USMC POV storming Black Mesa sounds like would what probably happen.

You don't have to deal with the Freeman speech problem, he can even make quick appearances throughout the movie, giving a reason for the marines to keep pushing deeper into the labs. etc

It'd be better off if the movie is based on the HL2 part of the franchise, as there are numerous possibilities for actors. Its already spoken out that it woudn't be good to center the cameras on Gordon only. It would be much much productive and original to think of a story that takes place:

A - during the Seven hour war
B - during the time after the war
C - during the time when Freeman is being chased by Civil Protection in City 17
D - during the Citadel explosion and the the time after (the evaccuation in place)
E - after the successful evac and the battle for White Forest..
Its mind bogling that the list goes on even further. A good idea might be to make a TV series taking place in this enormous time span or shorteing it out if it is necessarily.

They simply have a ton of possibilities that will get expanded with the next HL games.

My mind just can't fit it...

There can be a HL movie. ex: when the combine is flushing out the stations in the beginning of HL2, this could be filmed guerilla style. like the Jewish getto that was cleared from the nazis in Schindlers list. Or having Gordon accidentally go back in time at the end of HL2 the movie, so he actually fought his way up in the resistance while the other Gordon was in stasis. This is seen in HL 3. Xen could be portrayed like Pandora in Avatar. With all those amazing creatures and nature in it. In 3d!

There are ideas for a fantastic HL movie. We just need a very talented director who also happens to be a Die hard HL fan. And Gabe needs to stop acting like a dick and block production of a movie. Instead he should search for people to make one!

Gabe Newell for the role of Gordon Freeman

ak98qq.jpg

There can be a HL movie. ex: when the combine is flushing out the stations in the beginning of HL2, this could be filmed guerilla style. like the Jewish getto that was cleared from the nazis in Schindlers list. Or having Gordon accidentally go back in time at the end of HL2 the movie, so he actually fought his way up in the resistance while the other Gordon was in stasis. This is seen in HL 3. Xen could be portrayed like Pandora in Avatar. With all those amazing creatures and nature in it. In 3d!

There are ideas for a fantastic HL movie. We just need a very talented director who also happens to be a Die hard HL fan. And Gabe needs to stop acting like a dick and block production of a movie. Instead he should search for people to make one!

I would like it to happen, but what has been said countless times before, and even in this thread, it's improbable. And stealing ideas from other movies and plots to use in an already incredible plot would just be... Pardon the rudeness of the word, but it would be stupid. If there is a Half-Life movie, it would be awful if anything would be changed, (Like how the DooM movie had nothing to do with the game, aside from it being on a Mars research facility funded by a company called the UAC, whose symbol looks curiously similar to the AOL symbol.) and since keeping the story the same would mean an awkward movie, the thing just seems unlikely.

Don't take my word for it. Look for other threads on the matter. You will see opinions quite similar to mine... Some of which... are mine... Ahhem.

Also, calling the co-founder, and creator of this game you seem to love names brings into question how much you really care about the game, and future games... Just saying. (Fat jokes don't seem to count though... Unless in poor taste, or just rude.)

So long as Uwe Boll doesn't come within 80 light years of the movie, I'll be reasonably optimistic of any endeavor that has Valve have veto power on any decision during production.

Basing a movie around a silent protagonist would fail hard.

If they based the movie around Black Mesa... I guess that wouldn't be bad, but I'd still prefer Valve not take the risk.

It should not be made because many game-to-movie conversions usually have disasterous results (IE Far Cry, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Doom)

If there are no core devs of the games not having a major influence in the movie's creation, it will definitely be f*cked up (See Doom for example of mangling the original storyline)

The one decent game to movie I have seen was Silent Hill since it kept pretty close to the original game's story atop sprinkling some elements from SH2 in there.

You are now realising that Half Life's story isn't actually all that original, and that this would be doubly apparent if you base it around anyone other than Freeman. How many films have you seen with soldiers fighting through zombie/alien infested underground labs? Lots.

What's unique about Half Life is the WAY the story is delivered, and it'd be impossible to achieve the same in a movie as they have done with the games.

It should not be made because many game-to-movie conversions usually have disasterous results (IE Far Cry, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Doom)

If there are no core devs of the games not having a major influence in the movie's creation, it will definitely be f*cked up (See Doom for example of mangling the original storyline)

The one decent game to movie I have seen was Silent Hill since it kept pretty close to the original game's story atop sprinkling some elements from SH2 in there.

Add Max Payne to that list. It made me projectile vomit and I NEVER projectile vomit. Valkry's? Really? What was wrong with Valkyr? They took a good story and ruined it.

Black Mesa is a big place. Who says it has to be about just one character? I reckon, with a slight mangling of the expansions (e.g Barney and Shepherd talking) it could be done. I also think that the Vorts should change sides after the Nihilanth dies. It doesn't make any sense when put next to the expansions, but it would kick ass to suck a degree that it would go back to being a terrible idea, then shoot straight up to awesome then transcend kick-ass, like some sort of ass-kicking Buddha.

If nothing else works, we set it in a surreal parallel Black Mesa in which Gordon has to find a magical hen whilst fighting off Xen Forces with a blow-up doll of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and three trained stoats.

On another note, who do you reckon would win in a fight between Gabe Newell and Uwe Boll?

Personally I'd rather have Half Life remain a games series. Its too complicated to put it into a decent script and most video game based movies bomb anyway(Max Payne anyone?).

Back