A PC Game?

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
I'm bored and want a PC game, and I'd like any of you to recommend me a long lasting fun game.

Keep in mind my computer was top of the line in 2003, so preferably games from around that time period, thanks.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It's lasted me over 5 years, I've recently gotten back into it too.

Make sure you get the complete version, which includes both expansion packs and thus more fun.

Do play the Unreal Tournament Series of Games. You won't be disappointed.

Call of Duty + United Offensive, great SP and even better MP.

Sins of a Solar Empire.
Trust me, it'll work.

I second audiosurf and unreal tournament :)

Personally I liked COH but found it very overrated although I thought the same about dawn of war and also world in conflict o_O

go command and conquer! Oh and if you don't have that get cnc the first decade

Morrowind Morrowind, with expansions.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It's lasted me over 5 years, I've recently gotten back into it too.

Make sure you get the complete version, which includes both expansion packs and thus more fun.

Abso-balley-lutley yes! H3 is maybe my favorite game of all time. I almost cried when I tried to play it a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't start ;(

Acquire Titan Quest (Diablo 2-clone) and play it with some mates over Hamachi or something. Absolutely awesome.

@Que-Ever - Ok, Morrowind is one of the best games ever.. I've owned it and expansions for like 4 years.. Come on now...

@Beerdude - Titan Quest doesn't run on my computer.. Sadly..

Before I order anything else - How is Portal? I got HL2 and EP1, and would like to play EP2 and Portal, I can't play Team Fortress (I've got dial-up, remember?). I can play HL2 at pretty much max graphics (model detail set at medium rather then high and everything else is at max), and EP1 I can do pretty much the same (I can even turn on HDR with 0 fps drop).. I don't want to buy the whole Orange box just for EP2 and Portal if I can't run them.. So would I be able to run them at respectable settings? (medium-high to high).

Before I order anything else - How is Portal? I got HL2 and EP1, and would like to play EP2 and Portal, I can't play Team Fortress (I've got dial-up, remember?). I can play HL2 at pretty much max graphics (model detail set at medium rather then high and everything else is at max), and EP1 I can do pretty much the same (I can even turn on HDR with 0 fps drop).. I don't want to buy the whole Orange box just for EP2 and Portal if I can't run them.. So would I be able to run them at respectable settings? (medium-high to high).

Should be fine. None of the Orange box games push the system requirements too far down the track.

And for the record, Portal is a) short; b) hilarious; c) AMAZING.

Oh god dammit.. I found a guitar pedal for 40$ (worth 100 brand new).. Why do so many things have to be in my price range.. Maybe I can find a super cheap orange box on eBay..

I don't know.. Technically I'm only buying Portal and Episode 1 if I get the OB..

And then.. there's a guitar pedal..

EDIT: hey.. I can't order OB off of eBay.. That's retarded thinking on my part.. Guess I can't get OB new as of yet.. Maybe I can get R6: Vegas for 360 or Sims 2 for PC?

@Que-Ever - Ok, Morrowind is one of the best games ever.. I've owned it and expansions for like 4 years.. Come on now...

Well, you know, just in case :p

how about-
diablo 2
thief series
Kotor (if you're into that stuff)
Lego star wars!

Seriously, World of Goo or AudioSurf are great choices right now. I have previewed one and reviewed the other on my blog. $20 for those two great games is well worth it.

You're not serious are you? I sure hope not. Source still supports DirectX 6 FFS. Polygon transforms on CPU = BAD.

I'm saying that valve games that I have played, in particular halflife 2, TF2, etc etc... are optimized to run very well on weaker systems compared to other games I have played of equal or lesser graphical quality.

I've never had a problem running source engine games on maximum settings pretty much, even from the get go. Other games that aren't as pretty and don't offer as much have less optimized code and they run like shit on an equal system.

From what I've experienced.

Doom 3

Doom 3 RoE

Unreal

Unreal Tournament

Unreal 2

Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Grand Theft Auto 3

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

San Andreas - Multiplayer

Multi Theft Auto

Dawn of War

Dawn of War: Winter Assult

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

RF Online

I'm intrigued over this 'Audiosurf' game.. Thing is - I can't buy it in a store (I'm guessing they won't sell a game like that in a store), and since I've got dial-up it'd take atleast a few days (if I left steam on over night for 3 or so days) to download.. Only other option is off of eBay, and I don't trust steam games over eBay..

So is it worth to buy Audiosurf off steam, wait like 3 days, then have the game, or just buy another game?

And as for the optimization debate - HL2 and all it's expansions are amazingly optimized.. Probably the best I've ever seen, TBH. But then again I don't PC game much (my PC sucks ass).

Optimised hehe, funny. If you take the time to run through a few of Valve's own levels with wireframe on you'd know different. But hey that's just rad being the pos it is. Anyway that's another discussion right there, too off topic. Audiosurf is a great game if you enjoy listening to music regularly. Highly recommended by myself and many others.

Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines, with the 1.2 official patch and a 3x unofficial patch.

Seriously, go get it now!

You're not serious are you? I sure hope not. Source still supports DirectX 6 FFS. Polygon transforms on CPU = BAD.

:eek: OB games are only DX8 and up.

Also, do tell of a game that look the same and yet runs better on all systems if the Source Engine is such a POS.

*falls off chair laughing*

Dear me, you are a funny guy :D

;(

Well to be honest it has comparable graphics to the original HL2... not counting the post HDR source era...

Back