A proposition to limit the damage done with the leak

A.I.

Reaction score
I've already sent this suggestion to Gabe, now I want to hear your opinion about it. Forget about the Half-Life², now is the SDK priority! I think, that releasing the SDK as soon as possible would be the only right counter measure to redirect people away from the leak. We all know that once the things are on the internet you can't exterminate them. Even if they find the scumbag who did it, the Source is out and nobody can't do nothing about it... Has anyone got any other or better suggestion?

"Has anyone got any other or better suggestion?"

Delay the game a year and remake the source code completely.

Personally i think the game should be delayed a little longer and the source rewritten to prevent hacks and cheats on mulitplay...just my opinion.

Yes delay the game till Jan 04.

This is sad man, I just shoked when I saw Gabe stated its real.

I'd be happy for them to delay it until Sept 30th next year if that's what it took for them to make a confident retail release.

Originally posted by G0rgon
This is sad man, I just shoked when I saw Gabe stated its real.

You're telling me. Everyone I talked to about it was completely blown away.

How about they finish up single player and get that out ASAP then release multi-player whenever the hell they want...

Honestly I couldn't care less about hax0rz and all that crap, I would only really want to play HL2 on my LAN anyway.

I know it's self-centered but come on, I'm enough of a freak to admit that I would rather play it in bits and pieces now than wait for the super-suite of features of next year..

I hope they dont delay it more then Febuary, I dont care if there is little cheating, just look at AA and RVS, and BF1942, there is little hacking but you dont notice it that mutch, i have never had any problems I hope HL2 does not have an insane ammount of hacking if it comes out.

No, the game does Not need to be delayed further. Hacks and cheats and scripts will always emerge. If somebody is cheating online, so-be-it, more competition for you. I'm not waiting no ****ing 2004 release just so there won't be any cheats used "yet"..........

Originally posted by DaveKap
How about they finish up single player and get that out ASAP then release multi-player whenever the hell they want...

YES YES YES!!! they should release SP version only, then have MP as a addon or somthing.

I spent so much money on hardware though. I dont want my wallet to take another blow like this. I want the game this year. Even if it means Just SP for now. I spent over $1200.00
Not to mention tomorrow is the last day of my vacation I took 9 days paid vacation for HL2. And I can't take another til next year.. thats tough enough as it is.
I'm severly dissapointed.

Email Gabe/Valve about that idea, sounds okay to me

SP without modification for the codes can allow hackers to hack into your HD. and corrupt the game. MP + SP codes has been leacked not MP only.

G0rgon, I've been meaning to ask, why do you get banned alot? What did you get banned for the last few times?

member flamed me becuase I mis typed his her name, and I flamed em back, Munro warned me, but I kept flaming him again then he banned me.

Awww, you twerps! It wouldn't get delayed for a year! I think the best help we can provide to VALVe is to be patient about the release date. I don't mind for HL² to be released in Jan 2004 if they can all straighten out till then.

delay the game for a year will be a long painfull time to wait,

Jan 04 or this year is a good date if valve fixed everything I hop.

Whats the big deal? some asshole got the source code, what can they do with it? i dont know :(
someone tell me whats so bad about it except the guy(s) that did it are retarded and should be put in jail with lots of guys...

EDIT: neverMind i know why now and lmao! we are screwed ;(

Omg Imagine delayed till 2004... ;( :eek:

Gabe said in the Alcatraz interview that they are shooting for this years holiday season .. That still is to me is a long wait :flame:

how can you all be suprised that this could delay it till 2004. Most of you should have been expecting that. Its worth the wait, even if this pushes it back till spring or even summer in the worst case i guess. Id wait. Ever since i saw those barrels falling in the first demo movie i never looked at a video games again. This is definatly worth any wait.

The only backdraw of delaying is that other developers might catch them up... If I was VALVe I would announce the game only a few day before unleashing it onto the players. The money would come a bit slowly in the beginning, but after a week or two it would be pouring down from the skies. Instead of this, people are getting impatient, then AA problems, nVIDIA sux in DX9, then leakage of source code happens, it's like somoene opened Pandora's box...

my bet is they will delay it till 2004 sometime, as well as gather a huge lawyer team and start to watch other developers very closely. Sadly the IP damage is done. Either way valve is in some deep doo doo. I say imo, they should release single player, and patch multi later, Nix steam for a while go back to the old wonid system. Get paid from the sp game, use the money to modify source for multi to patch, and to sue the pants off of the distros, of the source, as well as developers whom get brave, and try to open source it.

Rewriting the code is out of the question, you guys make it sounds like it would be an easy thing, this is the complete game as far as I understand and it can't just be rewritten it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

As for security, it could be patched, they could add another layer of verification but how feasable it is to make a really good layer on top of things I don't know.

The source is out, as far as I see it they got two choices:

1. Release the game NOW, it will take months before anyone can look through the whole code and make cheats or possible use some security hole in the code. Then patch anyhting that comes up just like with all other well known software.

2. Make the source open source under GPL, suddenly you will have a whole community of developers eager to keep the source safe and patch any holes. Of course this means Valve have to shift from selling licenses of the egine to "only" making the best games on that platform.

However, (2) will only work if they haven't licensed stuff from other companies and those things are part of the source.

I really don't see any other options, they can't wait until every programmer in th world has gone through the code and started making stuff and they certainy can't rewrite the code to any large extent.

Honestly I couldn't care less about hax0rz and all that crap, I would only really want to play HL2 on my LAN anyway.

I know it's self-centered but come on, I'm enough of a freak to admit that I would rather play it in bits and pieces now than wait for the super-suite of features of next year..

+1

Originally posted by G0rgon
SP without modification for the codes can allow hackers to hack into your HD. and corrupt the game. MP + SP codes has been leacked not MP only.

Heh. I guess running Linux or any open source software would be very dangerous in your world :D

Originally posted by pblse
2. Make the source open source under GPL, suddenly you will have a whole community of developers eager to keep the source safe and patch any holes. Of course this means Valve have to shift from selling licenses of the egine to "only" making the best games on that platform.

However, (2) will only work if they haven't licensed stuff from other companies and those things are part of the source.

thats the smartest thing ive read on these forums about how to solve this crazy fiasco

I think they should scrap the game completely and let us all wonder what could have been.

Originally posted by pblse
Rewriting the code is out of the question, you guys make it sounds like it would be an easy thing, this is the complete game as far as I understand and it can't just be rewritten it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

As for security, it could be patched, they could add another layer of verification but how feasable it is to make a really good layer on top of things I don't know.

The source is out, as far as I see it they got two choices:

1. Release the game NOW, it will take months before anyone can look through the whole code and make cheats or possible use some security hole in the code. Then patch anyhting that comes up just like with all other well known software.

I really don't see any other options, they can't wait until every programmer in th world has gone through the code and started making stuff and they certainy can't rewrite the code to any large extent.

They licensed Havok, and i think microsoft voice recognition although that may be free.

They arent going to release it now, steam still needs more ironing out.

Why delay the full game ?

They could release the SP bit, right ? Then fix Steam and the MP content afterwards...

This might sound a bit crazy but... Could they send a virus like blaster which would scan the computers and detect if there are files of HL² code and if present, erase them? This would be all what it would do (maybe erase itself after the deletion of leak). Would this be possible to do?

I'm not so sure about the different suggestions, but what I would definitely do is release the game now and then as cheats are made and security holes exploited they can release patches. Anyway, no matter how good an anti-cheat system you make people will always find a way around it, and even if this hadn't happened to HL2 we would still be seeing some form of cheating at a later date.

The source-killer virus also sounds like something that could work. However it would need to be done in tandem with something like a DOS attack on websites with forums so people can't go on there and shout "Don't download the bug/compiler/source/whatever fix its a virus!!".

the virus thing would be an illegal thing to do(accessing and scanning others computers), so thats not an option

releasing now would just cause even more confusion, and make it even a harder burden for vavle to fix up.

the open source is also not very clever really...this would mean that valvle never will be able to make another HL(theoreticly, since thend all their money and some of their personal money on HL2..without any out side help)....

lets just wait and see what valve is going to do.... they should be able to track the distro of the the one publushing it, pretty fast, with some heave help from feds or sumthing..... lts just cross out fingers

Back