A Question

Kahonee

Reaction score
I've been recently getting into the Half-Life universe, having beaten Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and close to beating Half-Life 2. While I was playing the latter, a question came up: Why does Gordon look the same when Half-Life 2 begins (I know that the G-man made him go into suspended animation/frozen). But what I'm trying to say is that why doesn't anyone else notice this (that he hasn't aged a bit)? Also, was the Resistance waiting for Gordon to come back, and if so, what if he had never come back?

Thanks to everyone who answers, and HI!!!

And how did his HEV suit, which he was wearing at the end of HL1 end up in Dr Kleiner's lab?

1. Everyone does look older, its just hard to tell to some people.

2. The HEV suit is still a mystery, some people (such as myself) think that G-Man gave it to Kleiner because he/resistance hired Gordon.

But what I'm trying to say is that why doesn't anyone else notice this (that he hasn't aged a bit)?
Eli notices. "You haven't aged a day". He's one of the few people that were in the first game.

Also, was the Resistance waiting for Gordon to come back, and if so, what if he had never come back?
I'd say yes. GMan was seen talking to the rebels. Also, during the ending umm... Breen starts talking about your "contract" then Eli and Alyx start telling you to stop listening.

Mind you, there were loads of HEV suits in Black Mesa.

Well, officially there were at least 3. Gearbox... > >

Discounting Gearbox games?

2. The HEV suit is still a mystery, some people (such as myself) think that G-Man gave it to Kleiner because he/resistance hired Gordon.

It would make sense that Gman had something to do with it, he did say he was going to let you keep the HEV at the end of HL1.

There were a shitload of HEVs. Remember the corpses on Xen?

it doesn't really make sense...

why would Alyx have the hots for Gordon when she (probably) knows he is 47.

(I no he hasnt aged or anything)

OMGZ! Don't call me a H4XX0R, but I do beleive that they might know about what had happened, and it isn't completely alien to us to see someone dating someone 20 years older than them... Righ old guys for instance? Gordon is a superstar in that world, and this teenage girl meets him, and falls in <3 with him, in my mind it's lust before love to her, but she WILL learn to like gordon more when he saves her :D

But there's no evidence that anyone in the game knows that, hence Eli's comment.

And there's also no sure sign of exactly how many years it's been. Anywhere from 10 to 20 has been tossed around, and I'm not sure Valve knows any better than we do.

I'd hope they do. I think you would at the least set an exact time period.

Mind you, Valve time is a bit iffy.

But there's no evidence that anyone in the game knows that, hence Eli's comment.

And there's also no sure sign of exactly how many years it's been. Anywhere from 10 to 20 has been tossed around, and I'm not sure Valve knows any better than we do.

Exactly...

and btw scroogemcduck i no he hasnt aged because he was in stasis.

Valve time is a bit iffy.

30th September 2003
ssh.gif

it doesn't really make sense...

why would Alyx have the hots for Gordon when she (probably) knows he is 47.

(I no he hasnt aged or anything)
Because she had a crush on him in Black Mesa
"I'm sure you don't remember me though..."
*fixes hair*

And his reputation over the last decade or so has grown to "messianic" proportions
"And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way."

Because she had a crush on him in Black Mesa
"I'm sure you don't remember me though..."
*fixes hair*

And his reputation over the last decade or so has grown to "messianic" proportions
"And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way."

lol what? when she was like 3 years old in BM, i doubt it, (look at the pic whith Eli, Alyx and her mum. plus we dont no how long Gordon was working there.

well at least im guessing she was 3 and now shes about 23...

he was 27 at Black Mesa, and now in the HL2 period (two decades later) he would be 47...

Yea but as said before he is still 27 because of GMan's stasis, you know, the same idea that Nasa has with the "hypersleep" thing, when they are going to send people to Mars in 2017 and the trip would take months.

And HEV Suit thing, has everyone noticed that in HL1 the woman voice says "Welcome to Hazardous Enviroment Suit Mark Four...blablabla"

In HL2, Kleiner says something like this: "The Mark FIVE Hazardous Enviroment Suit has been redesigned for comfort and utility...".

So it is new suit, and you can see difference between it and HL1 one. There is no buttons under Lambda logo and the hands and legs are different. It is weird how Kleiner said that "Well Gordon I see you HEV suit still......at least, glove parts do", but the gloves are much different from the HL1, the orange things and buttons are gone etc.

lol what? when she was like 3 years old in BM, i doubt it, (look at the pic whith Eli, Alyx and her mum. plus we dont no how long Gordon was working there.

well at least im guessing she was 3 and now shes about 23...
We don't know exactly what age Alyx was at the time of the Black Mesa Incident and we don't know how exactly how much time has passed. Cut lines point to 10 years, the EP2 site something like 20 and the kleinercast suggests a decade. The photo could have been taking at any time, it may not be indicitive of Alyx's age at the time of the BMI and I imagine that Eli was speaking metaphoricly when he said he carried Alyx out of Black Mesa.

Not necessarily, Riomhaire. She could maybe not be old enough to walk in the BM time period...

And even if she was old enough to walk, it is *possible* that Eli didn't go;
"Come on honey, hurry up will ya? There are monsters from another world roaming the place, if you can't keep up I'll be forced to leave you behind!"

One Lombardi unit of time has passed between Half-Life and HL2. So chaotic are the forces exerted upon Lombardis, they tend to shrink or expand in apparently random fashion, but I estimate 15 years to have gone by between the two games. Therefore Gordon was born 42 years ago, but maintains the body and mind of a 27 year old.

I agree with Stene about the HEV suit in HL2 being a different one, as I'm not really keen on the idea of the resistance hiring Gordon. Unless they bargained with the G-Man that Gordon would be used to help regain control of Xen.

he was 27 at Black Mesa, and now in the HL2 period (two decades later) he would be 47...
Yes he would. But I always got the feeling, Alyx, Eli and crew knew of Gordon's "predicament". Even Eli makes a suggestive comment in BME about them. Having a colleague/friend that's probably twice her age date your daughter I think would be awkward, so yes to some extent I say they have knowledge of where Gordon's been. And the comment about taking so long to get back to him, which seems to be said in a joking manner. Which to me says he knew about Gordon's situation and that Gordon couldn't do anything about it, making a light-hearted joke.

Then again, I sprinkle crack on my corn flakes, so this could just be crazy talk.

Back