A reason why CS-S "lags"

R

rampentmonk3y

OK so i have been experimenting with cs-s, and im wondering how many other people suffer with this problem.
I now no a lot of people having problems with the game "jerking" without ping changing at all.
If you type net_graph 3, it will as we all no show fps, loss and all the rest of that rubbish. What i have been interested in is the value thats the "in" value. Myself and a lot of people i have told to do this have found that the game "jerks" when this "in" value fluctuates. For example my standard "in" value is about 100, when it jerks about this value goes sky high to about 600 and have even seen it a few times goto 1000. As a result when this happens the game becomes unplayable. My standard fps of 60 goes all the way down to 10-15.
If anyone knows what this value represents (i believe is the data flow from server to your computer) and how to fix this so its smoother play it would be much appreciated!! :afro:

MonkeH

I can't have my firewall up while playing CS: Source, because it causes lag, but it's not like normal lag, it's like a mini freeze, where the game shudders for a second.

cl_smooth 0 to get rid of the jerkyness that bugged me, and now it runs perfect

Oh! I just figured out why it goes all jerky yesterday, so i will share it.
It has something to do with cl_updaterate. If it is set higher than default it will be jerky, I solved my problem by setting it back to default. But on the other hand i gained 10-15 ms. BrimStone04 I will try what you suggested.

The 'in' value, as you rightly say, is the rate your computer is receiving data form the server, in kb/s. If this rate gets close to the maximum rate your Internet connection can support, it shows your cl_updaterate setting might be too high, as could your cl_rate setting.

I have played around with these, and find the defaults work best for me.

The most important value on the net_graph is the value for choke. If this goes higher than 0, bad things are happening. I do not know what the choke value stands for, but it is an indication of bad communication between your cimputer and the server. I would suggest changing the setting cl_rate and rate to that of your Internet connection (or maybe a bit less), and reducing the settings cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate until you do not get any choke at all. I find that certain servers will choke regardless of your settings... and will normally move on if I find one.

ive played around alot with cl_smooth, cl_lagcomp_errorcheck and cl_lagcompensation.

ive pretty much got my setting sussed atm, but i do still get some pretty bad lag spikes which im pretty sure is bandwidth related. (even tho 512k adsl :/ )

not 100% sure but i think that all of the commands above are better left at 0, because ive tried lots of combos with them and all they do is make my cs jerky / laggy. also tried playing with my rates but as a few other ppl said for me they are better left at default. Im thinking the lag just comes down to the netcode of source and the fact it has so much to send/recieve compared to cs 1.6 .

I have just tried the CL_smooth 0 trick and it has transformed the gameplay. It runs a dream now. I am trying to get this to run every server I connect to... I have put it in the config file but it dont work..

Can someone help me ;)

Also, how do you get rid of the shiny textures without enabling anti-aliasing?

Back