A18 Based Jet WIP

tim8604

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just made this jet, that is LOOSELY based off of the A18 Super Hornet. And by loosely, I mean don't crit me if it doesn't look the same. I was trying to develop a new jet that could have been made by the same makers of the A18. Feel free to crit me on anything else.

Lots left to do, including textures, minor polygon fixes, detail, cockpit, engine stuff, and a few other things. This is my first 3D models since I was working on that 3D WIP of the jail in hl2, so don't be too harsh on me :). Also, if any mod teams are looking for modelers, im free.

Estimated Time: 1 hour
390 squares
773 /\'s

The shaded wire looks funny because its 2 models actually, one shaded, and one wire frame. I couldn't figure out how to do shaded wire in lightwave, in layout.

perspective1.jpg

perspective2.jpg

perspective3.jpg

top.jpg

front.jpg

left.jpg

and I don't recommend hitting the quote button on my topic if you leave the pictures in ;)

Thanks. Yeah, I remember someone asking about a low poly jet to fly over or something a while back. Sort of gave me the idea. Also I needed something not too hard to get back into modeling, so I figured this would work pretty well.

You could shave at least 50 - 75 triangles with some optimization. Three areas in particular that stick out are the nose, top of the body and the bottom of the body. I'd make a quick image to help point out the other areas, but I'm on my laptop right now and I don't have access to an image editing program.

Good luck getting back into modeling.

it definately looks like an F18, nice use of poly's and looks good to boot :)

p.s. i wish people would stop using the comic shading D:

Originally posted by gh0st
it definately looks like an F18, nice use of poly's and looks good to boot :)

p.s. i wish people would stop using the comic shading D:

I'm actually not using the comic shading.... it just looks like that probably because of the lines and the lack of texture. I don't even know how to do cell shading in lightwave :p. hehe

I think I'm going to leave the nose cone the same, even though I could get rid of a bunch of polies, only because it matches up with the number of points coming from the rest of the plane. I'll see what I can do about the top and bottom of the body though. Thanks for crits. I'll try to come up with some sort of base texture to use until I can get around to learning UV mapping.

I've got it down to 570 /\'s (304 squares, 1 cylinder) Also, I think it actually looks better now :). I used a radiosity render this time for 'show', and seperated the windshield into it's own simple texture for now. Let me know if this looks good for its number of polies. Wasn't a vehicle for hl2 supposed to be like 2000-5000 or something?

I noticed a few polygon errors that came from me merging polygons probably, so i'll go back and fix those next go around.

new_radiosity.jpg

Ignore the minor white in the top left and right corners, my world wasn't big enough :).

What exactly are LOD models? Is that where like, the farther away they are, the lower poly count they are? Or like, you can set the polygon quality or something? Or maybe it stands for Load on Demand? You guys think it's even worth texturing?

Originally posted by tim8604
What exactly are LOD models? Is that where like, the farther away they are, the lower poly count they are? Or like, you can set the polygon quality or something? Or maybe it stands for Load on Demand? You guys think it's even worth texturing?

LOD - Level of Detail. Your first guess was right. Further the model is from the player/camera/view the less polygons it will use, so as its smaller you wont notice the lack of detail other than things wont slow down as much as having full detailed objects. Since at distances you wouldn't be able to make out all that detail anyway.

dont u mean fa18?
anywho thats a good model but its too low poly it wud have suited the hl1 engine with a nice texture..are you going to texture it ?

Dunno yet. I know for games you have to use UV maps, but i've never gotten around to learning how to do that. I always just use planar maps :-/. UV mapping just seems too complex.. anyone know of any good LW tutorials on uv mapping? If anyone doesn't know of any off the top of their heads, i'll take a look later on google or something. I was going for a low poly model, just as something to get back into the field.

I dont think its too low polly. I dont understand why people say that about models that have almost no curved surfaces like tanks/jets, lots if not most of the parts are flat. At most it could use a few but I think it looks nice as it is. This is actually something that with a good texture would run great in a hl2 mod, with no lag! Great job.

Originally posted by Anwar
I dont think its too low polly. I dont understand why people say that about models that have almost no curved surfaces like tanks/jets, lots if not most of the parts are flat. At most it could use a few but I think it looks nice as it is. This is actually something that with a good texture would run great in a hl2 mod, with no lag! Great job.

hmm no curved surfaces on jets? I'm no engineer, but as far as I know curved surfaces are a must for an aerodynamic shape. So I assume Jets do have quite a few curved surfaces.

But for an hours work by a newbie, that's a pretty decent model to say the least. *thumbes up*

:afro:

Originally posted by tim8604
I remember someone asking about a low poly jet to fly over or something a while back. Sort of gave me the idea. Also I needed something not too hard to get back into modeling, so I figured this would work pretty well.

I was going for the whole low poly thing all along and curves are tough to pull off on that:x:. I'd say this is pretty close to the lowest amount of polygons that could be used as at least a decent model of a jet. Also, I'm not a newbie, but said I was only looking to get back into the field and wanted a quick project. Thanks for the thumbs up though :).

Originally posted by mindless_moder
dont u mean fa18?
anywho thats a good model but its too low poly it wud have suited the hl1 engine with a nice texture..are you going to texture it ?

ya i think he emans f/a 18

and good model.

Yeah, I meant that... I just forgot to post that. Hehe. And I'm thinking of putting it into hl since hl2 seems so far away. Now only to figure out how to convert it from LW.

Back