Achievements (SPOILERS)

S

shoany

1st playthrough, I got most of the achievements, but missed a few. Some (like the Neighbourhood Watch) I know how to get but couldn't be arsed to put in the effort (like that end battle wasn't crazy enough -- and i only lost the sawmill!) but there are two in particular that I'm not sure how to achieve.

1. Payback (kill a hunter with its own flechettes) -- I was thinking maybe gravity gun would catch them, but I let the first hunter kill me trying to catch them, so no. I tried forcing them to friendly-fire, but that got me killed too. all I can think of now (and I tried this a few times too) is standing next to a hunter, letting him shoot the ground, and then letting distant splash damage kill him very, very slowly.

2. ? (the one with the garden gnome) -- I found a gnome early on in the game (while hitting up the first transmission to eli and kleiner) under the bed, and had a laugh, then later checked achievements and realized that you're supposed to LAUNCH a gnome into space. Does this just mean fire it up with the grav gun... or does it mean you have to find another gnome and stick it into the rocket? (looked for another one when i got to the rocket)

and then, some reminiscing of achieved, erm, achievements

1. Killing the helicopter without missing -- awesome. I know, not that hard, but was pretty thrilling.

2. Finding the 5 radar pickups... they were nicely hidden (not too hard to find, but kind of clever in placement)

3. Finally figuring out the rocket launcher radar pickup... I'm sitting there saying out loud "I just finished Portal, how can I not figure this out?" And the solution... so easy.

4. Having to kill 30 with thrown objects kind of refreshed the concept for me, and that was fun. You really might as well wait until you find sawblades, though. =D

5. Hot potat0wned is an awesome name.

I got a payback achievement...don't know if this works with other things....when I held a tire and the flechettes stuck in them...I flung it back at the hunter when they started beeping...timing is pretty much everything.

genius! i should have thought of that after the end battle (when they kept getting stuck in the stupid stickybombs)

1. Payback (kill a hunter with its own flechettes) -- I was thinking maybe gravity gun would catch them, but I let the first hunter kill me trying to catch them, so no. I tried forcing them to friendly-fire, but that got me killed too. all I can think of now (and I tried this a few times too) is standing next to a hunter, letting him shoot the ground, and then letting distant splash damage kill him very, very slowly.

2. ? (the one with the garden gnome) -- I found a gnome early on in the game (while hitting up the first transmission to eli and kleiner) under the bed, and had a laugh, then later checked achievements and realized that you're supposed to LAUNCH a gnome into space. Does this just mean fire it up with the grav gun... or does it mean you have to find another gnome and stick it into the rocket? (looked for another one when i got to the rocket)

1. Try grav gun holding a large flat object to use as a shield against the flechettes... they will stick in the object and with good timing you can then fire it back at the hunter so that the flechettes explode just as the object hits the hunter...

2. Im guessing you have to cart the one from the start of the game to the rocket at the end.

Carting around the gnome is quite fun but it really sucks when you get the car... I can't find a way to get it to stay inside the car so I keep shooting him away a bit with the grav-gun, drive forward, stop, shoot it with grav-gun, drive, stop...

Anyone knows what happens when you complete all achievements? Like, a secret video opens up or something like it?

So have anyone successfully launched the gnome?
I just did it but the achievement wasn't unlocked :(
Dragging him along with the car being chased by a helicopter was just ricockulus

Traveling...
There there dog. Give him back now
On our way down...
One small step for gnomekind
Strapping him in
Watch out! There's an alien behind you!
Here we go...
Countdown
Almost there...
Aaaaaaalmost there...
Up
Up
UP
AND AWAY!
Mission complete!

So... Is there another gnome to launch or is this achievement bugged?

Back