Actroid - Creepy Robot Nurse coming to a hospital near you

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
It's been a few years since we checked in with Actroid, a bot we first saw way back in 2005. What you're looking at above is Actroid-F, Kokoro Co. Ltd. and ATR's latest iteration of the creepy humanoid robot that can mime the operator's facial expressions and head movements with unbelievable (but not quite human) accuracy.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/actroid-f-the-angel-of-death-robot-coming-to-a-hospital-near-yo/

..that is till she's decommissioned and the program is scrapped after she inadvertedly rips the head off a patient and puts it on her own head like a hat

Someone should show her a video of the intro of HL2 so she can do G-Man impressions.

Geting better. I remember a japanese humanoid robot from a few years ago that looked absolutely horrifying. It's still plastiky, doll like, but at least they got it to look pleasant.

Shudders at the thought of live size anime robots.

Shudders at the thought of live size anime robots.

What some of us shudder in horror at, Vegeta faps furiously to.

This robot is some real terminator shit. It reminds me of like every 70s-80s-early 90s sci fi android ever.

That looks amazingly realistic. The movements are so fluid. Really gives me the feeling that we're so close to having life-like androids walking around.

No it doesn't. Holy shit that thing is utterly frightening. Dear god.

When I say 'amazingly realistic' I mean much more realistic than androids I've seen before. In both appearance and the facial movements.

And also the fact that it looks like an average looking woman as opposed to an attempt at photoshopped-supermodel-look is a nice touch.

I don't understand why people would go through the trouble of building a robot and then bothering to make it look like inferior humans. I want a robot nurse, not a robot nurse in a ridiculous human guise.

I beg to differ.
I can only bite. What the hell kind of use can this possibly be to anyone? Within the medical profession, what justifies the money sunk into it? Hell, what kind of use is a realistic, personable humanoid robot to anyone ever?

I can only bite. What the hell kind of use can this possibly be to anyone? Within the medical profession, what justifies the money sunk into it? Hell, what kind of use is a realistic, personable humanoid robot to anyone ever?
It expresses emotion, as japanese people are entirely incapable of doing so.

Legalized prostitution minus the VD.

Worth millions.

Also, it's creepy.

It's possible to create extremely realistic skin. They do it a lot in movies and such. I think the reason this doesn't possess that is mainly because these guys build robots and that's their priority.

Legalized prostitution minus the VD.

Worth millions.

Also, it's creepy.

It's possible to create extremely realistic skin. They do it a lot in movies and such. I think the reason this doesn't possess that is mainly because these guys build robots and that's their priority.

Realistic-looking skin, but what about realistic-FEELING skin?

Fallout knows what real robots should look like!

This is a farce!

geminoid0.jpg

So cute. :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87gCOv-X0c

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...akes-her-theatrical-debut-japanese-production

Don't be too harsh, she was playing the part of an android in this stage play -- which is kind of a strange idea to showcase this android, because I thought the point was that 'she' was life-like. That said, I expect that means the robot-ish movement shown here was intentional. I do remember it being smoother in the demo earlier in the thread.

The eyes resess too far behind the eyelids. If thats sorted out, have the robot look like its clearing its throat and tilt its head when being talked to, they may have a winner

Back