AGP 4x versus AGP 8x for Source

V

veilz

My poor K75SA 1.0 mobo can only handle AGP 4x --- my vid card supports AGP 8x... is there a performance difference? :eek:

AGP speeds are like a highway. If you have enough traffic, yes, 8 lanes are better than 4. But for cards like GeForce 4 (MX and TI) and slower GeForce FXs (like 5600 and down), or if you're an ATI owner, anything below radeon 9600, you won't see a difference (less then 5%).

The "traffic" on your highway is simply generated by how much info your software is sending the card. So, running games at higher resolutions, and with higher settings will have an impact on the bandwith (or traffic) that needs to be processed. But most "budget" type cards won't get close to the limit of AGP 4x.

If you have a bigger card, anything equal to or faster then a 9600XT or a 5700Ultra, then yes, 8x would be ideal, but if you have a K7S5A board, I'm gonna guess you have an athlon 2000+ or so, with DDR 266MHz ram (or maybe even PC 133 ram :(). You are basically limited by your CPU, mobo and ram, so your system has a whole has become a bit.... older....

Anyways, have a nice day

veilz said:
My poor K75SA 1.0 mobo can only handle AGP 4x --- my vid card supports AGP 8x... is there a performance difference? :eek:

8x is 2 times 4x that is if it what you were asking for. :D

the k75sa is my limiting factor i am beginning to realize... thanks for your help guys

Isn't it a K7S5A? Man, those boards were bloody dodgy, we had about 10 of the Rev 3's - they all died after a year or so!

get a new mother that supports duel pci express. then get SLi.
end of disscussion

end of disscussion
Oh yes everybodys so ****ing rich.
Nice job retard.

The performance is very very little.

ultimate_venom said:
end of disscussion

Yeah, I just love people like that. "Just get a new mobo, you know, the latest model, then a GF7800 and you'll be fine. Oh yeah an FX-57 would be a good choice too."

"whats that lassie? a small child stuck down a well cant afford the latest PC hardware?? thats criminal!"

if you said Skippy it would have been better. the whole stuck down a well thing was totally skippys thing. :)

Back