AGP question

spitcodfry

Reaction score
I recently got a 9800 Pro, which supports up to 8x AGP. My motherboard is an ASUS A7V266, which only supports up to 4x. I know that I'm not getting the most out of my card performance-wise because of this, but exactly how much?

I can't remember what I ran, but there was a program that first came up with a diagnostic window that showed information about my video card, and it said my video memory range was 64 mb. It's my understanding that the 9800 Pro has 128 mb of memory.

Is this telling me that because of using 4x AGP, that my memory capabilities with the 9800 Pro are cut in half? I certainly hope this is not the case, but it would seem logical. 8x=full 4x=half. Could someone clear this up for me?

The card comes in 128, and 256 correct. But if your Asus MB only supports 4x AGP, then you will get only only half of the 8x that the card offers. Which is 4x.

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
The card comes in 128, and 256 correct. But if your Asus MB only supports 4x AGP, then you will get only only half of the 8x that the card offers. Which is 4x.

So, in other words, my memory capabilities will be cut in half?

I asked this before in the Hardware forum and they said you only lose to around 1-3% in performance. Not sure about memory.

Only when it comes to memory capabilities. The actual capabilities of the whole card itself wont be cut in half. Just memory. But thats ok, if you have alot of system memory. You should be fine

ur memory should stay the same
i just bought a 9600 and its 8x agp, i only have 4x and i still run 128 mb

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
Only when it comes to memory capabilities. The actual capabilities of the whole card itself wont be cut in half. Just memory. But thats ok, if you have alot of system memory. You should be fine

I have 768 mb system memory...is that good enough?

You know, you really should post this in the Hardware forum. They probably know a lot more about it then here. You'll probably get an answer there fast.

Originally posted by Dark Auro
You know, you really should post this in the Hardware forum. They probably know a lot more about it then here.

I have...but I get more answers in here, thanks.

8x AGP will get you about 2 extr fps at the most, it hardly affects ANYTHING at all

Not exactly. If you do a search on Google you'll find that the difference between 4x and 8x is very small. From what I've seen the absolute worst performance loss you will get is 3 fps. So really there isn't any difference, especially compared to the difference between 4x vs. 2x AGP.

~Chris "SkilledNewbie" Brown

Originally posted by SkilledNewbie
Not exactly. If you do a search on Google you'll find that the difference between 4x and 8x is very small. From what I've seen the absolute worst performance loss you will get is 3 fps. So really there isn't any difference, especially compared to the difference between 4x vs. 2x AGP.

~Chris "SkilledNewbie" Brown

Well this makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

Like I said. as long as you have enough system memory you'll be fine. Cuz the cards memory can only work as fast as the lowest rate of your mother board

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Well what's that in terms of fps?

2-5 fps...and stop posting things in two forums....its ****ing annoying,

arr... dont you mean gbytes/s?

And I do believe that in hl2, agp bandwidth is definitely not your bottleneck. so it might even be ~0 fps difference for this game.

Originally posted by Seikeden
And I do believe that in hl2, agp bandwidth is definitely not your bottleneck. so it might even be ~0 fps difference for this game.

What would be the bottleneck?

Is there anyway to figure out if you have 4x or 8x without opening up your case?

I recently got a 9800 Pro, which supports up to 8x AGP. My motherboard is an ASUS A7V266, which only supports up to 4x. I know that I'm not getting the most out of my card performance-wise because of this, but exactly how much?

I can't remember what I ran, but there was a program that first came up with a diagnostic window that showed information about my video card, and it said my video memory range was 64 mb. It's my understanding that the 9800 Pro has 128 mb of memory.

Is this telling me that because of using 4x AGP, that my memory capabilities with the 9800 Pro are cut in half? I certainly hope this is not the case, but it would seem logical. 8x=full 4x=half. Could someone clear this up for me?
The agp performance (4x, 8x) has nothing to do with the memory of the card, because the agp port is using the system memory.
The program you said you used was telling you not the memory used from your card but the system memory used for agp (agp aperture size)
It's a bios setting where you set the memory of your system (ram)to be used for aplications using the agp port.
For the most motherboard bios this setting is set to 64 MB by default, but if you have 768MB ram the you can safetly turn this from 64MB TO 128MB or perhaps more.
To change youe bios (agp aperture size) you must go to advanced settings or check your motherboard manual or site.
You can search in google for agp aperture size tweaking guides to see what is better for your card and system.

the bottleneck is gpu+vertex&pixel shader calculations. (and all those are done between the processors and the ram on the card. pre loaded before the level even starts, well probably :D)

yes I am talking out my arse. I trust it though :Q

Originally posted by crabcakes66
and stop posting things in two forums....its ****ing annoying,

So sorry to not take into account your delicate sensibilities. I forgot this was your forum. By the way, this is a perfect example how you can't please any troll on these boards. If you look on the first page of this thread you'll see another bridge-dweller foaming at the mouth about how I should've posted this on the hardware page, which I obviously did. It seems covering my bases was in vain.

he is full of crap it has double the bandwidth...

anyone telling you how many fps it will be is full of it

you cant know with no benchmark

I personally dont have a clue how much faster it will be... I know crabcakes66 doesnt have 2 computers with a 9800 pro one with 4x and the other with 8x running hl2. He made that up and is full of shit. No offense to him.

and I made a mistake

AGP 8X
Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X—2.1GB/sec. vs. 1.1BG/sec.

GB/x not mb/s

Originally posted by Razak
Is there anyway to figure out if you have 4x or 8x without opening up your case?

Do you know what kind of motherboard you have? Your computer should have come with a manual that has detailed info about it. Then again, I got mine custom built from a local shop...can't quite recall how the big name brands package things (Dell, Compaq, Gateway).

Originally posted by Anwar
you cant know with no benchmark

Let's see here---I've got an Athlon Xp 1700 with 768 mb system memory plus the 9800 Pro, and get a score of about 5200 in 3D Mark 03...does that sound about right?

I assume my motherboard supports agp x8 because it was a ready built system that came with a ti4200 agp x8. And it specifically came with agp x8 rather than a non agp x8 so I guess my motherboard can handle it.

Is there anything in Windows that will tell me what motherboard I have?

So sorry to not take into account your delicate sensibilities. I forgot this was your forum. By the way, this is a perfect example how you can't please any troll on these boards. If you look on the first page of this thread you'll see another bridge-dweller foaming at the mouth about how I should've posted this on the hardware page, which I obviously did. It seems covering my bases was in vain.

No it is not my forum.....it is however the rules....wether you follow them to any degree is up to you.

You ovbiously know the rules(they are no differant on any forum), you admit your wrong and yet you still continue to break them.
Thats what pisses me off....its magically ok if you say your sorry.

Like I said, its annoying.

there's almost NO diffrence in fps going from 4x agp to 8x.
(even from 2x to 4x isnt that big of a leap.)

Let's see here---I've got an Athlon Xp 1700 with 768 mb system memory plus the 9800 Pro, and get a score of about 5200 in 3D Mark 03...does that sound about right?

how would I know what the 8x score is... or if that would make any difference in HL2. And I hear people are cheating on drivers for 3d Mark. I doubt it matters much at all if you have 4x or 8x. All I wish to say is if someone gives you are hard number dont trust it.

Originally posted by Chris_D
I assume my motherboard supports agp x8 because it was a ready built system that came with a ti4200 agp x8. And it specifically came with agp x8 rather than a non agp x8 so I guess my motherboard can handle it.

Is there anything in Windows that will tell me what motherboard I have?

I bet when your computer boots up you can press (DELETE usally) a button to enter setup. Check your bios settings. It probably shows an option to turn your agp slot from 2-4-8x if your motherboard supports it.

al you need to know is the chipset, go to Programs->Accesories->System Tools->System information.

it should scan your stuff then give you a bunch of info.

the relevant bit is -
System Manufacturer xxxxx
System Model -xxxxx

On mine its a
Via Technologies inc.
VT8366/A-8233/A

Which is a via kt266A type motherboard, with agp4x support
But I already knew that. :D

I don't know of any motherboards that have 8x AGP slots yet. The highest I've heard of is 4x. But I could be wrong.

Well what's that in terms of fps?

ZERO, NULL ZIP NOTA the performance difference betweek 4x and 8x is EXTREMELY LITTLE, dont worry about it 4x is just as good as 8x. 8x is over rated.:cheers:

Back