Almost finished my first HL2:DM map, few questions.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Hi all. First of all:

Happy Holidays

I'm almost done with my first map on the source engine, and I still have a few questions.

I'm having a hard time setting props on props. I have a few miscellaneous props (things like cofee mugs and bottles) set up on tables in hammer. All these items are "prop_physics_multiplayer" (the tables as well as the "decoration").

Yet, when I test my map, the items are always on the floor. I managed in another part of the map to but a paint jar on a wooden crate without problem... but now..

1. How do you put props on other props. I'm gussing a "prop_physics_override" would do the trick, but wouldn't that be "harder" on the system?

2. Spawning weapons and items. What is the correct way? I'm using the "weapons_..." and "items_..." entities. I do not have control over the respawn times. Is there another way to do it, I'm guessing with the i/o manager.

3. How does one put "breakable" toilets and sinks. I've put sinks and toilets, but they won't break.

4. Env_cubemap. I've loaded the map that comes with the sdk (sdk_dm_lockdown.vmf). There are almost hundreds of these. I've only put 1 or 2 per room. The sdk manual says not to put too many, but seeing as how the sdk map can have 10 in a single room... I'm having doubts.

That's pretty much it for now.

Thanks. Screens will be available soon. The map is about 75% done. I don't like showing early screenshots.

Have a nice day.

72 views, no reply :(

1. I understand my error. I turned the items into props_physics_ovveride and it works.

2. How do you make weapons that stay on the ground, so that everybody can pick it up? How do you define the respawn times (Input / output manager for both?)

3. How do you make the toilets and sink be breakable?

4. Forget about 4, it seems to be a question too advanced. But still, if anyone understands the workings of env_cubemaps and the buildcubemaps console command, I'd love to have it explained to me.

5. Anyone knows how to make a good "sunray" effect. I have a window and I'd like a "beam of light" kinda effect, lighting dust and stuff. (to light the dust and the dust itself I think I can manage with the point_light_particles entity)

Anyways, thanks for any help and

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

i meant to reply yesterday, forgot what happened.

2. yea, weapon_ and item_ are the correct ones to place.
3. in lockdown vmf you can see how they made breakable toilets and sinks, but really all it is, is a prop_physics_respawnable, for flags set motion disabled, and then motion enable on physcannon, then select the toilet or sink model. or just copy and paste from lockdown.

4. multiple env_Cubemaps are good if you have areas if varying light contrast, like one room with a different color. basically just put enough of them until it looks 'good', or natural. put the env_cubemaps in their own vis group and test your framerate with them in or out as well if you're worried about performance.

5. for sunray, maybe point_spotlight?

poseyjmac said:
i meant to reply yesterday, forgot what happened.

2. yea, weapon_ and item_ are the correct ones to place.
3. in lockdown vmf you can see how they made breakable toilets and sinks, but really all it is, is a prop_physics_respawnable, for flags set motion disabled, and then motion enable on physcannon, then select the toilet or sink model. or just copy and paste from lockdown.

4. multiple env_Cubemaps are good if you have areas if varying light contrast, like one room with a different color. basically just put enough of them until it looks 'good', or natural. put the env_cubemaps in their own vis group and test your framerate with them in or out as well if you're worried about performance.

5. for sunray, maybe point_spotlight?

3. That's what I did.. I think.. I'll recheck.
4. Ok, but did you see in the lockdown map how they can put 10 in a single room. If there is a doorway with windows, they put one in each window... I don't understand why... but anyways, I have 1-2 per room so far.

5. Good idea, but I then thought, the light_env is already emiting light, adding spotlights would overdo the lighting.. but I think I'll simply put a weak light_env.. well see how it turns out.

Thanks. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

regards to 5: the env_spotlight beam is just some sort of geometry with a certain material. If you locate that material, you should be able to apply it to some (collisionless) func_brush which you can then shape to match how the lightbeams should look.

Back