AMD 64 3500+ equivalent to 5.7GHZ?

VGJosh

Reaction score
When CS Source boots up it gives a diagnostics of my system. For clock speed it says my single processor is clocked at or equivalent to 5.7ghz. The actual chip is only clocked at 2.3ghz but it is a 64bit processor. I heard Gabe say that Source supports 64bit processors. I guess this is the effect -- an awesome FPS with everything on high and tight gameplay.

My entire system...

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB Corsair PC 3200 ram (400mhz)
Audigy 2ZS Platinum 7.1 sound card

Source also recognizes the 7.1 speaker set up and damn does it ever make a difference. Source rocks!

How you liking the 7.1?

I hadnt configured my speakers in the creative control pannel properly, but once I did I could clearly see a huge difference.

I got my front 3 speakers 1m infront of me and my side 2m and then the rear are 3.5m behind. It is crystal clear. I found it is much easier to hear each channel independently when the base it turned down a bit.

Wow it COULD be equivalent actually no I don't think so it's an error, no way is it that fast, not even equivalent to 4ghz.

Is your 3500+ very new?
It could be that Windows is not detecting it correctly for it's display info. Steam might grab that info to reference.

It could be a number of things.

You seem to be the only person with that problem though. No one else has mentioned anything about it that has a athlon 64 cpu. A 3500 would probably be equal to the soon to be released 3.8ghz pentium 4 maybee even a little faster.

Steam might have just got messed up with the fact that its a 64 bit cpu instead of a 32. But then again maybee not because you arent running a 64bit operating system. But Its definatly not equivelent to 5.7 ghz wheter its 64 bit or not.
If your 3500 is 90nm that might be the other reason.

It got the numbers the first time I booted up CS:S. I haven't noticed it since. Now it just gives me the 2.3ghz clock speed.

As for the 7.1... I love it. Last night I was playing with headphones so I didn't wake anyone and it just wasn't the same thing. Alot more enriching with the 7.1 setup.

yep after playing with 7.1 I could never go back to 5.1

Firstly... doesn't your os has to be 64 bit for programs to be able to be operated at 64 bit? and secondly, they haven't announced that steam is currently using 64 bit tech.

Firstly... doesn't your os has to be 64 bit for programs to be able to be operated at 64 bit?
Yes

There have been some rumors over the internet that 64 bit isnt having the major performace impacts on games that people intended it to have. And im not talking about the bencmarks you see at anandtech every month with the latest drivers from nvidia and ati.

Back