AMD or Intel based gaming rig?

elrasho

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my current spec to one that will allow me to play games like Bioshock, COD4, Assasins Creed, Crysis and HL2:Epi2 at 1024*768 with most/all settings on HIGH

Heres my spec as it stands:

Windows XP Home
Asus A8N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3200
1 gig Corsair DDR
Sparkle 7600GT PCI-E
120GB Matrox 7200rpm Hard Drive

I have a budget of ?200 for the Mobo, CPU and RAM, so heres what I intend to get:

1. Asus M2N-SLI - ?75

2. Athlon X2 4400 (retail) - ?55

3. 2*1GB Corsair DDR2 sticks - ?65

Giving me a total of ?195

I plan to keep the 7600GT until I can afford a 8800 GTS.

My main query is should I look at an Intel alternative? I have not been following Intel for the last couple of years so I have no idea whats going on. Can I get a faster/powerful system based on an Intel CPU for ?200?

Also, when I've upgraded the mobo, cpu and ram, will I be able to play Bioshock and HL2:Epi2 with settings on Medium?

Thanks

If you're going budget, AMD is the way to go. Intel parts are more expensive and perform better (if you get a Core 2 Duo), but for the prices you're looking at AMD will be better.

brilliant advice, I'll do that :hmph:

Lol, when I posted that the thread was all messed up for me and I couldn't even see the first post, and then it didn't even load the page after I posted...

Also, what Stig said.

AMD is bad for gaming. Intel Core 2 Quad is best.

But I'm stuck with fu*king AMD Sempron... >_<

I really want to buy a Core 2 Quad with 2GB DDR for gaming, I have more than 50 games for PC!

I changed my mind, I want a Core 2 Duo. Thanks for the info!

Why AMD won't be stopped? Most people said it SUCKS. AMD can make people frustrate.

The AMD Opteron 180s are going cheap now. What you guys think?

AMD still not good. The characters (in the video games) hate that CPU. My friend told about that...

Not good for gaming? Laughable.
Not good and not the best are different things. ;)

Core 2 Duo and quad core is obviously the best choice atm. The performance, the low power consumption etc. Although like others have said, AMD competes much better at the lower end of the price spectrum than higher up.

I changed my mind, I want a Core 2 Duo. Thanks for the info!

Why AMD won't be stopped? Most people said it SUCKS. AMD can make people frustrate.

Can I just say, I think this guy is the best new member we've had for a long, long time.

I've decided to get an Athlon X2 4800 and another 2*512MB PC3200 DDR RAM.

The Opteron 180 is fast, but in some cases I've seen the 4800 out perform it. I hope the 4800 wont bottlneck the 8800GTS i plan to get later on

This is getting rediculous, why is the Opteron 180 ?110 and the X2 4800 is ?190!? Even though they are both the same thing!!

Man I need to get my head round this. The X2 4800 is out f the question, so I'm left with either a slow ass X2 4200 for ?50 or the Opteron 180 for ?110.

Please can someone tell me if the Opteron 180 will work in mt A8N-SLI SE mobo?

If it is the same socket, yes it will work. AM2? 939?

As long as you have updated to the latest bios, then it should be fine. The earlier bios's didn't support X2 processors afaik.

My mobo is a Asus A8N-SLI SE, I have seen some people who have an Opteron 165 so I should be ok with a 180

I already have the 502 bios update, cool I'l be getting the Opteron 180... I'll post benchmark results

Cool

:)

Been toying with the idea of an opty 180 myself, still on 939, 3800 @ 2.75, nice performer, but dual core could be handy for some of the games coming out soon, and there is life in this system yet.

:)

Finally did the upgrade today :)

Well I havent notice much of difference from going from an AMD Athlon 64 3200 (running at 2Ghz) to a Dual Core Opteron 180 (running at 2.4Ghz) :-(

Bioshock still runs at around 28fps (drops to 20 when there are alor of water affects) If I lower the details it runs alot smoother but the game looks terrible. Im dissapointed at that, I thought a dual core would make all the difference as Bioshock makes use of Dual core CPUs.... or is it becasue I'm only playing the Demo?? Maybe in the full game it'l run better??

As for my 3Dmark06 score, it jumped from 2872 to 3320 :) even though theres a massive jump there, I thought it would be reflected in Bioshock too

The CPU has the same temperatures as the 3200 did too, thanks to the beefy Zalman.

Think I'l have to save up for a 8800GTS to play Bioshock :-(

Bioshock's bottleneck is the GPU. So you'll have to wait for a proper upgrade before you can go over 30fps, even if you are on a dualcore CPU.

Bioshock's bottleneck is the GPU. So you'll have to wait for a proper upgrade before you can go over 30fps, even if you are on a dualcore CPU.

Your right, I overlcoked my 7600GT from 570/700 to 610/751 and I get a solid 30fps now (I have to turn off three settings ingame but I cant see what they do anyway lol). So yes, definantly I need a better graphics card..... by the way will the rest of my system bottleneck the 8800GTS I plan to get?

OK I've installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer, Microsfts Hotfix and AMD Drivers... in that order

Should I have installed the drivers first?

I'm so sorry about the Intel. AMD Athlon 64 X2 is best one... >_< I want that one.

My new smartest friend told me. He plays many PC games with AMD.

I changed my mind.

All benchmarks point to Intel. Hopefully AMD's new "Barcelona" cpus will change that.

Back