An excercise in mapping

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have an excercise for you all. I have designed a really simple room textured with dev textures and i thought id give it to you and see who can make it the most intresting.

the rules would be:

*Cannot add more rooms

thats pretty much it, you can make windows and you can add brush work inside the rooms just cant add any on the outside, than i would judge them on:

-Coolness factor

-how creative

-texture use

-and best use of the space.

i dunno how long it will run for but lets shoot for 2 weeks.

here's the file:

Attachments

• excercise.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 145
I guess you can add props?

yeah anything, just cant add more rooms you have to use what there is as far as structure goes

Whoa gotta participate in this "competition" ;)

EDIT:

Bork, steam sdk updatin' nah gotta wait.

I thought hey this might be good untill i saw what you have to map in and it didnt inspire me to make anything at all as the map seems out of proportion and to odd of a shape.

yes well its an excercise in being creative, i wanted a really plain map to see what you all came up with. you can add rooms and such as long as they are on the inside. it could be Counterstrike if you want as well.

Yeh i wanted to join in .. but now i got a error after the last damn sdk update.. when i open hammer ed it just says FATAL ERROR : Extra App ID 211, but no SteamAppid >_> so i cant :(

Is anyone elce geting same error as me after last update?

I do believe that adding -beta to your launch options of the SDK should fix that problem... but i dunno.

EDIT: It doesnt fix it.

yeah.... and to the steam launch options.... not the SDK as I thought

My God, you used carve to make that template.

*puts it in the bin*

-Angry Lawyer

Why's the wall in the map segmented into some hundred different brushes then?

-Angry Lawyer

clip tool, I dont know, lol but i swear I didnt use carve. Anyway its a small map so it wont lag up or anything just try it man. cant hurt

Angry Lawyer said:
My God, you used carve to make that template.

*puts it in the bin*

-Angry Lawyer

Sorry but i got to agree.. this is not been created right at all.. its all been carved and everything i got to do same :(

*Puts it in bin*

ok well if anyone is going to participate in thi the maps should be due on december 10

If anyone likes this idea and wants to see it done properly i recommend you head over to Interlopers.net > Forum > Design Section and take part in one of the map battles. Nice try though...

MrMan said:
If anyone likes this idea and wants to see it done properly i recommend you head over to Interlopers.net > Forum > Design Section and take part in one of the map battles. Nice try though...
thats the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title
anyway I may give this one a go- I'll see how much time I'll have tomorow

ps. using carve is like breaking a sacred commandment in HL2 mapping:) :) look at the coments- "Jesus is swear I didn't do it.... I haved done it in months" LOL it's like a drug :D

People hate carve becuase there is allways a noob that will try and carve using a cube and a cylinder, the results are ugly.

Most mappers myself included never use it.

Kyo said:
People hate carve becuase there is allways a noob that will try and carve using a cube and a cylinder, the results are ugly.

Most mappers myself included never use it.

I used it once when I started mapping and was trying all the tools (I didnt knew of its dark mistic brushwork powers :devil: untill it was too late- still ashamed of that day... LOL:LOL: )

OK here is my solution ( to show some comunity spirit :) )- took me about half an hour to finish couse I work slow +had to re-do all the walls, floor... couse it was pretty messy
nothing groundbreking- just some sort of combine control room: cold use some more detail but I didnt feel like making it
its the view from the main room looking into the side room

roomexercise00004ld.jpg

dude thats fantastic, i say this because i also mapped in the room and its neat how different they are. i wish more people would participate. mabye ill post my screens too.

Well i spent about an hour on this just messing around im still gona work at it because it was a challenge to fit things in right and make it look good. pretty fun actualy. Turn the valve the steam flows and leaks (in the 1st picture). You shoot the valve the steam shoots out and ignites some oil on the floor (last picture). Its some kind of underground maintinance area.

Attachments

• room_exercise0004.2.gif
    room_exercise0004.2.gif
    90.1 KB · Views: 241
  • room_exercise0005.2.gif
    room_exercise0005.2.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 242
  • room_exercise0006.2.gif
    room_exercise0006.2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 231
Felt a bit sorry for you that no one entered so i had a quick bash last night, swopped the upper tunnel to the other side and made the doorways more human sized if thats ok, would carry on but have got uni work to do :\

18yj1.jpg

Back