An odd ep.1 crash.

Nitre

Spy
Reaction score
I've recently started playing through hl2 again, mainly due to boredom during a 2 month holiday. Yesterday i installed ep.1 and started playing through in commentary mode because it's pretty interesting (for me).

However, when i get to the part in the Citadel where you have to go down the lift with the debris falling there is a random crash that occurs at exactly the same spot each time. I've tried putting all of the graphics settings to the lowest (usually play on the highest, so i thought it might be caused by graphical strain), but that didn't do anything, tried changing the difficulty level as well as turning the commentary mode off, but all to no avail. It still crashes every single time i try to cross the red line i've drawn on a screenshot i took:

hl2crash.jpg

I'm not sure how to see what the error is, so if anyone can tell me then i could have a closer look at exactly what causes it. So far i've not found anything on the internet that might solve the problem.

And by the way, hi everyone, just started reading this forum yesterday and i thought i might as well register since half-life 2 is one of my favourite games ever :thumbs:

I'd guess that's a autosave point. Someone with skills, come in here and tell him how to disable autosaving.

Interesting. It could be an autosave point, or it could just be a generic trigger. Have you tried verifying the game cache?

(in before the "RAARRH DO YOU HAVE STEAM RAARRH PIRATE")

How do you verify the game cache?

And before anyone asks i'm not some pirate, and i do know what steam is...(yay for not having to go go outside and buy games/wait for them to be deivered off the internet)

Right-click the game in the My Games list, go to Properties, Local Files and click Verify Game Cache. That probably won't help though.

Here's the link to disable autosaving:
http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_10.html

If you are tired of the way Half Life 2 automatically saves your game every time you turn a corner or meet (or defeat) a new character, you can use two tweaks to disable autosaving in the game. Firstly, refer to the sv_autosave command in the Advanced Tweaking section, as using this will disable the autosaving which occurs at the start of new levels. You'll have to insert sv_autosave 0 in the autoexec.cfg file to disable it.

Secondly, go to your \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\ directory, and find the following files:

autosave01.sav

autosave01.tga

autosave.sav

autosave.tga

Right-click on each file, select Properties and tick the 'Read Only' box to make each unable to be written to. This prevents Half Life 2 from actually performing a save onto these autosave files, and in the process you reduce all the saving pauses within levels as you pass certain autosave points.

If you wish you can choose to disable one form of autosaving and not the other, and if you do disable both then make very sure that you manually save often, either by using the Save option, your Quicksave key, or the save console command.

Back