An unaddressed question: copy-protection on the physical discs

GetCool

Reaction score
I posted this a while ago, but I still haven't seen a good answer to this question. Essentially, I am wondering why Valve/Vivendi (I'm not sure if Valve has anything to do with this issue; it may be a publisher-only thing) decided to put a copy protection on the retail disc (a recent version of SecuROM on the CD version; I don't know what's on the DVD version), when they already have the ever-so-elaborate beast of an anti-piracy mechanism that is Steam.

I ask because typically, I make backup copies of games that I buy for my own personal use, in order to avoid using the original discs to prevent wear. As far as I know, this activity of making one backup copy of software for your own personal use is not proven illegal, but is still up in the air. Many software EULAs contain a statement like this (the below quote is from the HL2 EULA):
Subject to the grant of license hereinabove, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on the Program
However, nearly every game makes a version of the above statement in its EULA, but web sites such as http://cdfreaks.com, at which software copying and copy-protection cracking techniques are discussed, as well as programs that facilitate in the copying of copy-protected games, are all considered legal. As I understand it, the issue of the legality of making personal backup copies of legally-licensed software is a complicated one, and has not yet been officially ruled legal nor illegal.

The above is another issue entirely than the topic of this thread, however; I just brought it up so I didn't get numerous responses that simply accused me of wanting to do something illegal and dismissed my question. The real question, though, is why the retail discs have copy-protections on them, when Steam is nearly impossible to crack (those that do succeed in conducting illegal activities with Steam seem to eventually be banned/disabled and have their license terminated). If the game wasn't additionally available for purchase via download, I may understand; but those that have purchased and downloaded the game through Steam, as opposed to purchasing the retail version, do not need to insert a copy-protected disc when they launch the game.

Seriously, this is a bit gratuitous. These on-disc copy-protections are growing archaic, and are never uncrackable within days of release. Online activation-based copy-protections such as Steam, although I disagree with them personally, are the future of anti-piracy. Throw Safedisc, SecuROM, and all the other piles of shit that publishers adopt as "legitimate" means for combatting piracy out the window.

They use Securom as well as Steam, because Valve simply is paranoid.

Infidel

Back