Another big review possible in PCG?

ShadowFox

Reaction score
You won't believe what we've scored for you. Hot on the heels of our Doom 3 review, we've snagged another senses-shattering world exclusive - one that's going to have the whole industry racing to these very pages.
My guess is that it will be a review of the Sims 2, but you never know.

UK PCG has the Sims 2 as the main review next issue but does not mention an 'senses-shattering world exclusive'. But it would not surprise me if it might just maybe be Half life 2 considering PCG have had quite a close relationship with Valve with numerous exclusives throughout its development.

We know sims 2 ain't senselessly shattering. I prey that it is HL2, you never know...

"move the industry"....it has to be HL2, I mean you can associate big words like these only with a very very hyped game - more than sims 2, that's for sure.

Could be HL2, Someone posted recently in a thread that he heard that the press were starting to get a pre release version of HL2.

Considering that they mentioned Doom3 review than stated they have something realy big would lead me to think that it is HL2. He didn't have to mention Doom 3 cause we all know about the review allready but consider how many people have been pushing this Doom3 vs. Half-Life 2 scenerio, he could be commenting in light of that by saying in addition to the doom3 review (wich everyone knew they allready have) we have its closes competetor in our next issue.

A Sims 2 review won't have the whole industry racing to the pages. Maybe 40 year old women, but not the gaming industry.

I'm not sure how long it takes for them to finish a months magazine but I suspect they wouldn't have had enough time from Valve to get the review in time for the comming month. Although I could be wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong.

We know that the game is playable from start to end - add that with some cs:s and they should actually be able to give a review in the next months issue.

Yeah...I just got my October issue of PCGamer in today, and I think that the SENSES-SHATTERING EXCLUSIVE REVIEW will indeed be Half-Life 2. They give us enough clues in those couple sentences to make me believe that they will review Half-Life 2 in the next coming issue. :) I mean what game, besides Half-Life 2, will have the whole industry racing to those very pages? Answer: None

Interesting that the choice of word is Review...Not Prieview. Suggesting they in fact will have played the full product as opposed to some kind of demo.

ElFuhrer said:
A Sims 2 review won't have the whole industry racing to the pages. Maybe 40 year old women, but not the gaming industry.

No, it will have the gaming industry.

The Sims and it's hellspawn have sold about 3x as many units as the next nearest competitor, it is the highest selling game by a long shot, so yeah, I'd consider it "earth shattering".

They specifically mentioned it to be "world exclusive". By next month sims 2 will eventually be reviewed by game sites (a day or 2 after release) before the mags october edition come - so it won't remain a world exclusive. So it has to be something totally out of the blue - like D3 was. I'm assuming it's HL2.

The Mullinator said:
I'm not sure how long it takes for them to finish a months magazine but I suspect they wouldn't have had enough time from Valve to get the review in time for the comming month. Although I could be wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong.

unfortunately you're probably right ...magazines tend to work on issues 4 months in advance ..so they would have little time

All hints point to Half-Life 2. And it damn well better be.

Another guess: E3 binks on the CD.

Freeman's face on the cover of the next PCG....umm maybe?

Lets hope we see Gordon Freeman's face on the cover of the next PCG. What would be kool is if they had a DVD of all the videos from E3 '03 and E3 '04. Only time will tell and as for the Sims 2, the First Sims was a big deal but Sims 2 will not have a big impact in changing the gaming industry but the Sims 2 is looking like a well put together game and as made huge improvements in game play and graphics. :borg:

The Mullinator said:

They did it with Doom 3. Why not HL2?

skull24 said:
Lets hope we see Gordon Freeman's face on the cover of the next PCG.

if it does, it will be the third one

first one= First Person Shooter Shootout showed gordon and the doom3 dude standing next to each other

second one= HL2 Hands on showed gordon with a pistol and a mp5k (but gordon looks really stupid it looks like someone cut and pasted someones face onto artwork :D

third one= might be november issue. hopefully

DESSTROYER said:
if it does, it will be the third one

first one= First Person Shooter Shootout showed gordon and the doom3 dude standing next to each other

second one= HL2 Hands on showed gordon with a pistol and a mp5k (but gordon looks really stupid it looks like someone cut and pasted someones face onto artwork :D

third one= might be november issue. hopefully
It will actually be the fourth :) Gordon is on the cover of the Holiday 2003 Issue :cheers:

Also this fits in with the rumour that the press will get HL2 first. Even though, thats what happens with most games..but yeah

ElFuhrer said:

The Sims is the best-selling pc-game ever. You don't like it and neither do I, but you'd have to agree that the industry would be interested in the review of a potential mega-moneymaker. I know I would if I was a software-exec.

As far as i'm concerned it's pretty obvious they mean Half-Life 2. No other game is worthy of that kind of language.

Half-Life 2 it is.

Shakermaker said:
The Sims is the best-selling pc-game ever. You don't like it and neither do I, but you'd have to agree that the industry would be interested in the review of a potential mega-moneymaker. I know I would if I was a software-exec.

Read this:

lans said:
They specifically mentioned it to be "world exclusive". By next month sims 2 will eventually be reviewed by game sites (a day or 2 after release) before the mags october edition come - so it won't remain a world exclusive. So it has to be something totally out of the blue - like D3 was. I'm assuming it's HL2.

By next month, sims 2 reviews would become common as it's the release month. It would only be world exclusive if they had a sims 2 review in last months issue - before others.

I know its not a very important aspect of a review but i hope they make decent front cover for the issue (if it is the HL2 review) I was rather dissapointed with the PCG Doom3 review cover.

I reckon just a black front with 'PC Gamer' in its usual place then in the middle of the front cover either have the HL2 logo or a crowbar with the words 'The Review' or 'Reviewed'. That would be tres cool imo.

I vote HL2, even though The Sims sold more. It didn't change the industry, it was just addicting.

"one that's going to have the whole industry racing to these very pages."

doesn't sound like anything else than Half-Life 2. How is Sims 2 that earth shattering. And hasn't there already been Sims 2...no wait, I'm confusing it to all the hundreds of expansion sets for Sims.

Seppo said:
"one that's going to have the whole industry racing to these very pages."

doesn't sound like anything else than Half-Life 2. How is Sims 2 that earth shattering. And hasn't there already been Sims 2...no wait, I'm confusing it to all the hundreds of expansion sets for Sims.
Xactly.
You cant read this.

PCGamer is known to hype things occasionally, but this does indeed sound like Half-Life 2 :)

I'd have to agree on it concerning Half Life 2. No other game fits the bill.

Meh,The Sims did change the gaming industry.

We now have about 10 million teenage girls more paying for half bit expansion packs at half the price of a full game.

I don't know all that but...

I hate sims. :|

10charlim

Borrowed from the parallel topic(transcribed out from PCG):

"You won't believe what we've scored for you. Hot on the heels of our Doom 3 review, we've snagged another SENSES-SHATTERING WORLD EXCLUSIVE -- one that's going to have the whole industry racing to these very pages. It's yours in a mere 30 days! And if that weren't enough, we've landed the exclusive FIRST REVIEW OF ROME: TOTAL WAR, one of the most-anticipated games of 2004! Plus, everything you always wanted to know about FLIGHT SIMS (but were afraid to ask)!

Why would they keep it a secret? Wouldn't it be better to shout it out loud "we have teh Half-Life 2!!!!1111!!!!!11!" or "we have teh sims 2!!!!!111111!!!!1111" :hmph: No, the second one just doesn't sound right... :hmph:

lans said:
I don't know all that but...

I hate sims. :|

10charlim

Hey, I hated The Sims too, but that doesn't mean it didn't sell well.

That means the release date will be confirmed in the next 30 days. We sort of knew that already, but it clears things up :)

Cerpin said:
That means the release date will be confirmed in the next 30 days. We sort of knew that already, but it clears things up :)
If the review in question does happen to be HL2 :eek:

And does anyone know when the next PCG comes out?

Sushi said:
If the review in question does happen to be HL2 :eek:

And does anyone know when the next PCG comes out?
I would guess early to mid September (I believe the October issue just came out, as I haven't received it yet.)

It's definately not RTW (as they mentioned it as the other exclusive), so that only leaves the choice between sims 2 and HL2. Although, there is a hunch it might actully be on sims 2. :(

Back