Another interesting thing about the human mind

Edge

Reaction score
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Probably been around awhile. People keep sending it to me and I keep thinking it is interesting :eek:

I ran aorcss tihs a few yares ago. Its ptetry naet.. it is slpirursgniy esay raed taht.

(tgohuh phperas the lgoner wrdos, not so mcuh!)

Been posted before and it annoyed me as hell, because everyone started talking that way.

Annoyed you? I'm just wondering why exactly. Is it just the way the words are or something else?

Things like this are really interesting...something else I like is the way our brains really do make up so much of what we see.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Annoyed you? I'm just wondering why exactly. Is it just the way the words are or something else?

Things like this are really interesting...something else I like is the way our brains really do make up so much of what we see.

One thing I have always marveled over is the brain's memory recall power. For example... You can smell something and remember a very specific moment in time that you could not recall normally or when you hear a song and you can vividly remember when you first heard it.. what you were doing, who you with, etc etc.

Edge said:
One thing I have always marveled over is the brain's memory recall power. For example... You can smell something and remember a very specific moment in time that you could not recall normally or when you hear a song and you can vividly remember when you first heard it.. what you were doing, who you with, etc etc.

this is due to the amygdala, a part of the brain which associates memories and experiences with feelings. for example, one day youre walking down the street and you smell bread that almost smells exactly like the kind your mom used to make and all of a sudden you feel good inside and miss being at home. this is because the learned stimulus (baking bread) has been associated with the good feelings you remember having as a kid by the amygdala.

kaf11 said:
this is due to the amygdala, a part of the brain which associates memories and experiences with feelings. for example, one day youre walking down the street and you smell bread that almost smells exactly like the kind your mom used to make and all of a sudden you feel good inside and miss being at home. this is because the learned stimulus (baking bread) has been associated with the good feelings you remember having as a kid by the amygdala.

Hrm.. probably why I feel ill when I smell Tequila :LOL:

I need a smell that makes me not hungry :)

well, the tequilla causing an ill feeling is probably more like an aversion. a taste aversion happens when you eat something that later makes you sick, and are then around that food again you get sick without even eating it. alcohol will do this after a night of excess when your head is in the toilet for a few hours throwing up.

Heh, so many times have I heard the words "I'l never drink again" from people who've beeng hugging the toilet all night, only to see them out a few nights later, doing the same :)

Farrowlesparrow said:
Heh, so many times have I heard the words "I'l never drink again" from people who've beeng hugging the toilet all night, only to see them out a few nights later, doing the same :)

I drink again.. but I can't mess with Tequila.. I had an incident once when I was in the Military in Germany. I was trying to out drink a local. Yeah.,. I lost :)

Back