Anti-aliasing doesnt work in hl2

Y

yoo-el

I bought the orange box over steam yesterday and i was eager to try half-life 2. I got a good gaming rig with a quad core and 8800gts 320 mb graphic card. I have put everything as high as it will go and it looks and moves gorgeus except the jaggedness of edges. AA (anti-aliasing)simply doesnt work. I can choose between 0 ,2x, 4x, 6x AA modes and theres is NO difference what so ever between the different modes. btw, the game recommends 0x Anti-aliasing wich is way below what my card is capable of. I have tried restarting the game, didnt miss clicking apply, changing resolution, forcing aa through the nvidia control panel and nothing works. Anyone have any idea of what could be wrong?

I use windows Vista 64-bits and i have the latest nvidia drivers (163.75) and i have no problem with AA in other games.

I'm not too certain HL2 supports Vista on terms of drivers...

you need to set your nvidia drivers to allow applications to control the aa etc.

I suggest you use manual aa control via your gpu settings, if stews suggestion fails

Thanks for the help guys but nothing works. Applications already control aa and forcing it through the control panel doesnt work either. The HL2 game path in the nvidia control panel points to HL2.exe which is wrong when downloading from steam. I cant add another game profile either because there simply isnt any exe.file except steam.exe to start hl2 with (and pointing to steam.exe doesnt work either). Guess i should have bought the box instead of downloading it =)

Btw, all the other games in my virtual orange box supports ingame aa that works, it just isnt working with HL2.

Thanks for the help guys but nothing works. Applications already control aa and forcing it through the control panel doesnt work either. The HL2 game path in the nvidia control panel points to HL2.exe which is wrong when downloading from steam. I cant add another game profile either because there simply isnt any exe.file except steam.exe to start hl2 with (and pointing to steam.exe doesnt work either). Guess i should have bought the box instead of downloading it =)

Btw, all the other games in my virtual orange box supports ingame aa that works, it just isnt working with HL2.
what in the crap are you talking about? hl2.exe IS what starts hl2. steam.exe starts steam. the box and download (steam) versions are IDENTICAL in every way - enforced by steams update policies.

You'd still have the same problem if you'd bought the box. Why do you think otherwise?

Stewie: uh no? There is no hl2.exe file in my steam folder and the shortcut to start Half Life 2 points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220

G-dub: I thought you didnt have to use steam if you bought the box in a store (now the bald guy says otherwise) wich would have given me a solid HL2.exe file to force aa on in the nvidia control panel.

Stewie: uh no? There is no hl2.exe file in my steam folder and the shortcut to start Half Life 2 points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220

G-dub: I thought you didnt have to use steam if you bought the box in a store (now the bald guy says otherwise) wich would have given me a solid HL2.exe file to force aa on in the nvidia control panel.

Look in the hl2 folder.

No you still have to use Steam... it just means you get the data from the disc and not through the Steam servers.

try looking a bit further before calling us liars or implying we dont know what we are talking about. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\your user name\hl2\hl2.exe. the shortcut points to steam because you have to launch steam before you can play anyway. you hav been given some solid advice on how to solve your issues, (and other information too) and i find it insulting that you think you know better, and that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

once again, you thought wrong. EVERY legal version of hl2, no matter what version, ONLY works by installing it on a valid steam account, and you MUST log onto that account EVERY time you want to play it. who came here asking questions? whos games work properly, and whos games dont? more listening and less know-it-all from you might be worth a shot, huh?

Stevie: I must say your name and avatar is suiting to your personality. Btw. you was right. there was a HL2 exe file buried in there. I didnt work to force aa though.

Believe me, I remember some sort of issues with AA and Vista in other games. Maybe it's happening with Source games too. Go to steampowered or contact some support to get more detailed info about this.

I havent tried episode 2 but i started episode 1 and lost coast and aa worked in both. I also tried 4x aa in HL2 and that didnt work either. I tried downloading all the microsoft hotfixes nvidia recommended for vista too. Maybe HL2 is simply to old for vista for aa to work.

Note that some cards cannot run HDR and AA both at the same time, this might be a cause.

Note that some cards cannot run HDR and AA both at the same time, this might be a cause.

you need you up on your source engine specifications. valve has been able to do both hdr and AA at the same time.

besides even if that was the case, the 8800 could do both no problem.

Back