Any Open Beta players for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

K

kotoko

Well, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic recently just opened the public beta multiplayer, and I was wondering if we have any people here playing it right now!! If so, could you post your Steam account here so we can get some games going? Mines: winterymint

And for those who don't have the open beta, well its free now, and you can get it here: http://www.disciplesofsareth.com/darkmessiah/link.html?i=w3JE2M

Ug.

Tried to play just now. I put everything at top settings, full AA and AF (like I do for anything else in Source).

I join a server...loading.....loading....loading. I decide to turn on the Daily Show. While I watch about 5-10 minutes of Daily Show it finally loads to terrible performance. The round lasted like 2 more minutes and then the map changed and it began to load for a horribly long time again. I stopped loading the map and decided to play something else. I click quit. 2 minutes later I'm back in windows.

I'll try again tomorrow and drop everything to lowest to see if it loads faster but this does not bode well right now.

Downloading now....... but my computer blows, so I dunno.

The SP demo did run pretty well on moderate though.

Nice... I wait through about 10 minutes of loading, run around with a horribly jumpy framerate in a far from good-looking map for about 5 minutes, lock up completely, reboot, start the game again, load for 10 more minutes, play for 30 seconds... hey the framerate's a bit better this tim- crash. It needs a LOT of work. And I'm not commenting on balance or anything, it's not even playable.

Will try it over the weekend. n.n

Wow... ever since I installed the open beta the SP demo is totally fubar. I play for less than a minute and it crashes with looping sound, the only way out is to reboot.

I start the wonder the limitations of the Source engine while playing this, for the first time in my life :(. Despite compelling design and a mildly amusing single player, I very much doubt i'll be purchasing Dark Messiah.

Summary of the following rant: The mp is bad, game being worth purchasing is not looking good at this point.

This is pretty long, but I basically rant about everything in the game I disliked. Not a whole lot of likes at the moment. The game's SP and MP are less related than any game I've ever seen, having been made by different developers and then glued together.

General:
MP is quite unimpressive, and the gamespot/fileplanet subscriber crowd (whoever all could get this before it was public) is incredibly idiotic and rude. The only non-full server with reasonable ping was filled with cries of "omg stop using assassin/warrior/lightning you flaming ****/stupid bitch/fag/etc"

Ragdoll exists, but is stupid. I once (literally) flew ten meters through the air after being stabbed to death by an assassin. Mage kills are even more ridiculous.

The game still has atleast one half life 2 asset. God knows why, but when you get hit by a mage fireball, or one explodes really close (still hurts you) it plays the HL2 rocket "shellshock" sound.

The game lags, alot. Don't bother setting your graphical settings lower, apparently it's a memory leak that has yet to be fixed. Load times are alright, I could load in 1-2 minutes, sometimes less if it's just reloading the map after a round ends. However it occasionally (25% chance on my system) freezes at 3/4's loaded. The solution is to just press esc, and reconnect or pick a new server.

Gameplay in the beta is essentially a smaller version of BF Conquest. There are capturable flag points, and you pick which you spawn at. The game ends when one side runs out of tickets. As far as I can tell, you lose tickets if you have less flags, and use one up to respawn. Actually, scratch that, it's exactly like BF's Conquest, with the added "RPG" elements.

You level up from xp, which is pretty easy to get. You then pick new skills on a simple tree, usually about 5-6 choices to start, then you can get all the first abilities or specialize in a long chain of abilities (like fire magic or lightning magic on mages). You can add and remove points at any time, so you could, if you were quick enough, switch to poison arrows when you see that warrior coming, then after you kill him, switch back to longer range to take out that mage in the distance. You have seperate xp and levels on each class, so you can't just get 20 quick kills as a warrior and then become a devastating lightning mage.

Classes:
If you're looking for a "skillfull" game, look elsewhere. The melee classes (Annoying assassins, outright overpowered warriors) can "autolock" on any enemy target, so all the player has to do is press forward, sprint if necessary, and spam attacks, and whoever they targeted is basically ****ed. Assassins aren't so bad, because they're pretty weak if you can hit them a few times, and their stealth is pretty easy to see... but warriors... A well-played one using his aoe god-mode shield ability to recover stamina, and rushing weak people first (IE anyone but other warriors) will not die unless you're a high level mage or lucky.

Mages are useless early on, as it seemed to take 10+ hits with the lowbie spells. Later on they can spam aoe's and controllable fireballs etc and just kill everyone, including teammates.

On the teamkilling, it happens ALOT. Mage spells just kill everyone, assassins and warriors forget to stop clicking attack when their autolock target dies, archers mis-lead shots, lag, or suck...

I didn't get around to playing priestess, but they're too common on mp anyway. They have heals/ressurect, some aoe spell that hurts you if you sprint in it, and some other helpful things.

With the memory leak (what someone said anyway) that cripples any machine's fps, the archer class is nigh on unplayable, seeing as it's attack must actually hit the target. I played archer the most, because I like a challenge, and I got 2 good kills in the whole 2-3 hours I played. The rest were spamming shoot at point blank and getting lucky. My good shots were from hiding in a nook until someone runs past and shooting them in the back. However, I can see archer being the most deadly class in the hands of someone good, given a stable, optimized version of the game, as a good hit, sometimes two, will kill anyone. Archers seem to be the only class that actually uses the environment, they can light arrows on torches all over the map, which I assume increases damage.

Map(s):
The one map is okay I guess. The level design is obviously source, and not very interestingly done. The edges were odd, as it was basically a big castle on a huge cliff (on all reachable sides, a super steep drop). Players clip badly on many surfaces, especially the barn-like-things stairs. The map is about the same size as your average CSS map I'd say...

I agree with what that guy said. ^ Archer is at a disadvantage in the beginning more so then other classes, its a shame.

Even for a beta alot of common sense balance and design flaws exist, along with show stopping bugs and terrible performance. F. Only upside is some good lighting/shading on first person models.

Rather disappointing... seems like alot of work needs to be done.
Doubt they'll listen to the community though.

Good lord this game runs like total crap for me, I havnt had a game perform this badly for a loooong time!

I'm gonna give it another shot today, then I'll post a follow-up rant. I'm gonna try the one not-awful server (it's the only non-official server, and runs 6 times default tickets, making games actually last more than a few minutes)

I'm gonna give it another shot today, then I'll post a follow-up rant. I'm gonna try the one not-awful server (it's the only non-official server, and runs 6 times default tickets, making games actually last more than a few minutes)

Cool. I am definetly buying this game, if only for single player, but having a good MP would be very nice.

It has potential if they ever fix the memory leak or whatever it is that causes the lag...

Same basic conclusion as before. In it's current state the mp is unplayable, unbalanced, and rather dull.

Back