Any Thing About Nvidia?

S

Spitty3

Ive heard that nvidia cards works fine with hl2. Any one got any evidense or statements? :p If oyu have i'd like to know. As i dont think i can afford a Radeon.
Thanks Spitty

I'm sure it'll be fine. A GF4 Ti, or anything above a Geforce FX 5200 should be adequate.

Spitty3 said:
Ive heard that nvidia cards works fine with hl2. Any one got any evidense or statements? :p If oyu have i'd like to know. As i dont think i can afford a Radeon.
Thanks Spitty

Valve has been working hard as far as we know to make HL2 run well on the FX series. With some visual tradeoffs no doubt because it's a design error on the side of Nvidia.
Radeons are not necessarily more expensive than Nvidia cards, just depends on what range you aim at. You get a 9600 XT for <150 dollars that runs HL2 fine with all settings on high.
And the bad performance for Nvidia only exists with the FX series (FX5200-FX5950) so a Geforce 4 Ti will perform just fine with everything on high, eventhough it's just DX8 then.

Also, the nda for the nv40 is dropped at 12midnight tonight, Pacific Standard Time, so look for previews of it tomorrow. Should hopefully give a glimpse of how well Nvidia's next card is going to cope with Halflife2.

Bottom line is that current Nvidia cards run HL2, but current ATi cards run HL2 better.

I'm building a new computer this summer and I'm really interested in the 6800 Ultra as well as the X800Xt PCI-E. Whichever yeilds better framerates in HL2 gets my chunk of change.

On that note, does anyone know if AMD Athlon 64 boards will support PCI-E by this summer? I'm really looking foreward to playing HL2 and the rest of this year's big games on a Athlon 64 3700+ and an nv45 or r423. Thx

if anyones played the leak they will know that the high end Geforce cards run the game execellently, and specific lower end cards run it really well, and its running an unrevised version of the game, ,

if you really want to know, the Geforce 4200 runs it amazingly well but has problems when wood breaks, (frame rate slows up) our other comp with a 5600 xt runs it very smoothly , flawlessly at 1024 * 768. but im sure valve havnt quite fully optimized it at that point. So it looks very good for Geforce users, and I dont really care about ATI's support with the game because when it comes out any card will run it, I just really feel sorry for people who went and bought these 9800's when they first hit the shelves. cause they are so much cheaper now. And Half Life 2's only round the corner, hopefully this time

:) the 9800 pro 256mb is now £200 thats around $160

clarky003 said:
if anyones played the leak they will know that the high end Geforce cards run the game execellently, and specific lower end cards run it really well, and its running an unrevised version of the game, ,

if you really want to know, the Geforce 4200 runs it amazingly well but has problems when wood breaks, (frame rate slows up) our other comp with a 5600 xt runs it very smoothly , flawlessly at 1024 * 768. but im sure valve havnt quite fully optimized it at that point. So it looks very good for Geforce users, and I dont really care about ATI's support with the game because when it comes out any card will run it, I just really feel sorry for people who went and bought these 9800's when they first hit the shelves. cause they are so much cheaper now. And Half Life 2's only round the corner, hopefully this time

The leak isn't PS2.0 intensive, that's why. But that Nvidia has problems with ps2.0 performance is a fact, not some excuse to boast ATI sales. It's because they didn't follow the official DX9 specs but ATI did.

argghh, 9800pro is still 200€(euros) here in Germany.
That are about 240-250$ for you guys.

clarky003 said:

basing anything off the leak is not a good idea.

by the time im holding the box in my hand it could be an entirly different game.

Totally true, and hopefully your right, but performance wise, I dont think it will change all that much,, optimised and improved yes

I hope the changes dont end up discluding lower spec 3D cards, that really wouldnt be the wisest move by any standards :p

clarky003 said:

Um, where did you do your conversion? when i looked on the internet i got the rate 1 GBP = 1.84093 USD so it should be around 360 or so for us

PvtRyan said:
It's because they didn't follow the official DX9 specs but ATI did.

Wrong.
Microshi...erm Microsoft changed some specifications after nVidia finished the design of their new architecture. Thats the reason why nVidia failed in fact the "standard". You can get this fact in the archives of some good newspages. I think youre able to use google to find some articles.

But its sick to call a piece of software from microsoft "standard" just for the fact that M$ calls it "standard". A part of my job is doing w3c compatible websites, the IE is SUCH a piece of shit. It fails to reach official, world wide accepted standards but its able to display propritary M$ bullshit code from frontpage well... :angry:

I like to know why Valve made such a stupid move to use DX9 M$ propritary crap. DX9 is ****ing win32 only. I personaly are on the way to get rid of everything M$ on my computer before im forced to change from W2K (because M$ wont support it forever or keep compatibility) to "Longhorn". Longhorn means for me TCPA, no privacy and total controll of the user via DRM trought the industrie and useless wasting of resources througt unnecessary graphical shit and "tools". :angry:

I can`t see ANY reason to use DX9. Theres OpenGL 2.0, a free independent industrie standard. The whole professional industrie use it. For example many medical visualisation software runs with the power of OGL.

At least ive bought a Asus V9800pro but not for HL2, Doom3 is still my favorite and it will be in store with a linux version. If HL2 wont run under linux - Valve, **** off. I`ll sell my copy of Hl2, which ive got via a piece of paper with my ATI card, on ebay. There are many other great multiplayer games out now (im very impressed of the far cry multiplayer), so i wont miss a working key for HL2 that much ;)

clarky003 said:
I dont really care about ATI's support with the game because when it comes out any card will run it, I just really feel sorry for people who went and bought these 9800's when they first hit the shelves. cause they are so much cheaper now. And Half Life 2's only round the corner, hopefully this time

But you don't feel sorry for those who bought a FX 5900? hehe
9800Pro will last and last. It is a 400$ card...worth anything under that as well. 350$. 300$...200$...400$.
Don't feel sorry for 9800pro users. Feel sorry for FX users who bought the 5900 for 400$ when it is only worth about 200$ when used with shader intensive games. 9600xt can beat it or match it in those games.

burzum said:
Wrong.
Microshi...erm Microsoft changed some specifications after nVidia finished the design of their new architecture. Thats the reason why nVidia failed in fact the "standard".

From what I knew, MS + ATI + Nvidia all were discussing DX9 standards.
Nvidia got upset (forgot at what) and left the group. They didn't know what was going on from then on. MS+ATI agreed that 32bit was too much for now and 24bit provided enough precision etc.
Nvidia wasn't sure so they made their card 32bit, FP16bit and 12bit to make sure they were on top of things. Good idea except they were off. Plus the 4x2 issue and the 5800 Blower. Makes for a bad FX year.

did i mention I feel sorry for FX 5900 users aswell, :p lol, I should of mentioned that, they where even more expensive!,

and Daiceman you might be right, Im tired, and dont use US currencey so ure probably right, I just always thought that Dollars where slightly below the value of the pound and therefore would constitute as a smaller number although it has the same value,, <?? :rolling:

anyone have any sites where id be able to find video cards at good prices? im looking to get something in the 9800 series. either 256 or 128, pro or not, im not sure which is best. i just want to find a good price on one sometime in the summer before the release.

Found my card on Ebay, albeit it croaked after 6 months and right now i'm waiting for a replacement from the company i bought it from (They seem legit, i just ****ing hope they actually sent off the stuffed card to the company that makes them so i can get a new WORKING one)

Everyone wait until may for buying a new vid card. That is when the New series of cards are being released. When that happens the older cards will fall in price.

Don't tell me folks are still accepting the validity of anti-nVidia statements made at a press event sponsered by ATi. Conflict of interest? What conflict of interest?

To answer the question, nVidia cards will work just fine with Half-Life 2. In fact, I'll even go out on a limb and predict that one will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the final version running on an ATi board and an nVidia board.

ATI offers better graphic qualities (suah as more accurate colors I suppose), which I think is more important than higher frame rates.

But keep in mind that any card better than GeForce 4 is more than enough in HL2, so don't worry about that.

/me wishes i wouldnt have gone through ebay to buy my r9800 pro....i bought 9800 pro for $219, and got a 9800 NP ripped from a Dell Dimension 8300.....oh well though atleast it overclocks well :)(got it running stable at 391/365)

hehe, I agree with everything except the statement that a 9600pro will match a 5900 in ps2.0 games...

5900 will make the 9600pro cream its pants when faced with anything. At the GB forums for HaloPC, my 5900 gets about 48fps in the timedemo while a 9600pro/XT might get about 32-35ish. The 9800Pros even only get about 2-3fps better than the 5900 SOMETIMES, usually they are about the same.

Anyways, HL2 will be very scalable.. most people wont have any problems running it, although if I had to put money on it I would say that the min. requirements will be a little higher than they were last year, if valve wants to stay at the top graphically. Either that or they will just up the high-quality reqs.

Paintballer said:
hehe, I agree with everything except the statement that a 9600pro will match a 5900 in ps2.0 games...

5900 will make the 9600pro cream its pants when faced with anything. At the GB forums for HaloPC, my 5900 gets about 48fps in the timedemo while a 9600pro/XT might get about 32-35ish. The 9800Pros even only get about 2-3fps better than the 5900 SOMETIMES, usually they are about the same.

Thats 1 game youve based your statement on.
and the 1 game you mentioned is absolutely useless for any benchmark.

ive seen 1.5 gig machines with Gf2's run halo better than 2.8 gig ones with gfx's and Xt's etc.....

look at valves own results (hardops something.....) it showed the 9800 pro putting all too shame with FPS and the 9600 pro being just as good as the 5900. for like 1/3 of the price.

Dougy youve convinced me that the ATI cards are begining to come into Bargain range, :) im off to purchase a 9800 pro 256mb next week, :) , found one brand new for £196.99

Back