Aperture logo

Ravioli

Microboner
Reaction score
Most of you probably know this but the Aperture logo you see on the gun for example means "infinity". Saw it in my geometry book. Nothing new or amazing, just to let those who doesnt already know to know.

Anyone have any theory how infinity is related to Aperture Science coorporation?

I dont know, mabye something to get more test subjects.

Aperture Science is always looking for more employees.
Aperture Science infinite knowladge, infinite possibilities

Someone mind posting a picture of said logo? I don't remember seeing it, and I don't want to re-download a Portal video and find it...:p

actually mabye it has to do with the portal gun. you can make one of those infinite portal loops.

Someone mind posting a picture of said logo? I don't remember seeing it, and I don't want to re-download a Portal video and find it...:p

See it on youtube, doesn't take that long to load.

Here's a pic with my short analysis of this "logo" of yours.
Linky.

Warning: May hurt your e-peen but also makes me look like a lamer so we're even already.

Here's a pic with my short analysis of this "logo" of yours.
Linky.

Warning: May hurt your e-peen but also makes me look like a lamer so we're even already.

At least there is someone who actually makes sense :thumbs:

The only thing I see on the gun is the alpha-numeric F-22

At least there is someone who actually makes sense :thumbs:

The only thing I see on the gun is the alpha-numeric F-22

The infinity symbol is on one of the 3 extensions or "arms" of the gun. The botton left one, you can see it when the player is falling throgh that infinity of portals.

I can see what appears to be the aperture logo on the ASHPD's front shell casing, nothing on the arms however.

The portal logo could just be a design based upon the shape of portals? Nah, no one would ever get it. :p

I am actually more interested in "F-22". Is that a prototype number, model number, batch number?

As I see... the aperture logo looks like an IRIS, that opens ( lenses of a reflex camera), and my friends, the iris number (the big and short an apperture is) is represented by and "f", and then the number... f22 sounds like an iris size.. its my point of view

F-22 is also the name of a jet fighter. I guess Valve is teaching us how to take pictures (but at that f-stop, you think the action ingame would be slower :p) and be fighter pilots, rock on.:sniper:Or they used some of the skin off a Raptor on the gun to pay tribute to fallen pilots from the 7 hour war.

Can't really say about the logo on the lower part of the gun, a hose/cord is in the way. But it really doesn't look like the sign for infinity.

Look closely and there it is.

I showed you the evidence. It's clear. I could go on and take a few hundred pictures from the released teaser that show what I said.

It's not "infinity". It's Aperture Science logo and there is absolutely no reason to believe otherwise unless Gabe himself (ok ok, other Valve guys'n'gals qualify too) comes and shows us differentiating proof.

Whatever I'll just leave it at this, my word against your word is not gonna prove anything.

Whatever I'll just leave it at this, my word against your word is not gonna prove anything.

Wrong, it's my factual screenshot against your word. As far as I'm concerned I have the high ground here.

After watching the HD version of the trailer, and closely examining it, I can be pretty sure that the logo is NOT the universal symbol for 'infinity'. I can't be 100% sure obviously because there is a tube in the way, and that part of the gun is partially blurry, but it's looks quite similar to the 'o' in the Portal logo.

Just so everyone knows, this is the universal symbol for infinity, found on camera lenses for focusing on objects far, far away :) (man, how I love Wikipedia!)

< Infinity

Wrong, it's my factual screenshot against your word. As far as I'm concerned I have the high ground here.

That one you posted before does not prove anything. But I did check back into the video and it's a circle. Looked like a infinity symbol, but it's a circle.

Maybe the portal gun's designer drives an Infiniti? :)

the actual aperture logo is a symbolic "aperture" meaning quite literally a
"hole in the wall"

Aperture does not mean a hole in the wall, I'm sorry.
wikipedia said:
In optics, an aperture is a hole or an opening through which light is admitted. More specifically, the aperture of an optical system is the opening that determines the cone angle of a bundle of rays that come to a focus in the image plane.

In some contexts, especially in photography and astronomy, aperture refers to the diameter of the aperture stop rather than the physical stop or the opening itself.
I love wikipedia

sorry, my bad. Maybe i should have added "...that light can pass through"

maybe the F-22 designates how large or small a portal the gun can create? f-22 - good for human size....f-8 good for gunships and such!

Back