aperture size

filipeg165

Reaction score
ok, i entered my mobo BIOS and i saw this AGP Aperture Size option, i have a geforce fx 5600 256mb and the aperture size is set to 256, what does this mean, what happens if i put 128, or something?

Aperture size defines the amount of RAM that is used for storing textures and such, if I'm not mistaken. The more memory your display adapter has, the less aperture size you need.

filipeg165 said:
ok, i entered my mobo BIOS and i saw this AGP Aperture Size option, i have a geforce fx 5600 256mb and the aperture size is set to 256, what does this mean, what happens if i put 128, or something?

general rule of thumb is to put your aperture size at half your video ram size.

so in your case 128 by what everyone says

but if it's 256 that's fine, there's really no difference at all.

also, one question, where can i find the AGP fastwrited option, cuz i can't find it in the mobo's BIOS... i have an Intel D865GLC mobo

AGP apeture hardly will do anything for you today.
It won't hurt it if it's at 256 but I would set it to 128MB or even 64MB.
Performance will not be affected though.

The idea is the lower the video memory on the card, the higher the AGP Apeture setting should be and the higher the video's memory the lower AGP apeture can be. This was used back when they had 8MB video cards btw.

If you use the half of the video card's memory rule and you had 8MB on your video card you would be setting AGP Apeture to 4MB. That just isn't right. hehe

Donno where the AGP fastwrite option is on that board. sry
Really couldn't find anything from a quick search online either.

thx for the help man, dont bother searchin now, i'm getting a radeon 9800pro tomorrow =)))

Asus said:
Really couldn't find anything from a quick search online either.

:eek: the gods must be angry....asus can't find information? :x

Back