Applying a Skin to a model

AgentXen

Reaction score
ok.. Hello, my name is AgentXen. And i have a skinning problem.

How exactly do i apply a skin to a gun or a character?
Im Useing Max 6.
Any help will do.

You use a process called Unwrapping, It basicly involves the whole model being flattended out, it is then turned into an image which the skinner uses as a basis of the skin. Once this has been done it is applyed to the model and should skin the corosponding parts.

The first pic shows the Unwrap of the blade of the model. The skinner will open this in photo shop or anyother program they are using and uses this as a template of the skin.

The second image is the skin on the model. I will be uploading an image of the skin on the template but the file is to big at the moment.

I will also have a look about for some tutorials. Hope this helped abit. Good Luck

Attachments

• karbarblade.jpg
    karbarblade.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 273
yeah, if thats the part you didnt understand, then theres your answer, but if you were asking more about putting textures on your model, then that wont help. to do this, you press M ( default in Max ), or go to the top right of the toolbar where theres four circles and click, to open the Material Editor. you should see lots of circles or spheres, click on one, and you can change the name and all that. go down and open the sub heading Maps, then go to Diffuse, and click it, from there you can find the skin file and it will apply the info to the material. to get that onto a model, you have to dfrag the circle/sphere onto your model.

thinking about it again, thats probably not what you wanted to know, but ive written it now so...crap :p

Of course, all this is in the help files and manual.

hehe, silly me i should have just said that. now thats got me angry :p

Thanks guys.
I think i sort of onderstand the concept.
the photoshop part throws me off.

To put it crudely: A world map you see is basically a globe all flattened out. This is what UV mapping is. You flatten out the 3D object (eg. the a globe) to make a 2D map. You then save a picture of the map you have produced (like fishy showed in the first pic) into photoshop and use it as a template. You colour in the areas of the template the way you want. You then end up with a texture map. This map you put back into max, and assign that as the material to use on your model. This is basically putting the coloured map of the earth back onto a blank globe, to make a nice coloured 3D sphere of the earth.

Back