Are the HL2 graphics 2003 quality or did they update them?

wse_jack

Reaction score
From watching the several videos, Yes the engine is phenominal. The world is realistic and the lighting is about as good as FarCry's. But I look at the textures and I want to cry, the textuers when the screens first came out were pretty damned good in those vids but now that I have played FarCry (doom 3 had shit for textures) with all my settings maxed out, the hl2 textures realy dont look too sharp. Infact they kinda suck. The game of course will still be fun as hell but why the f**k didnt valve update the game during that 1 year delay to be a 2005 inovation.

Thats what I would ask my self, but I hope to god that I am wrong and that the textures in the vids are rather low quality.

Or at least an option for much better in settings, cause I want this game to kickass of all other games on all fronts so I can go back to making fun of people with x-boxes who cant play far cry or half life 2?

are the graphics better?

Well, if you look at the binks from 2003, and compare them with the newer binks we got this year, you can see a big improvement in quality.

i don't know what your talking about...hl2 textures look awesome to me.

What video were you watching?

Think, they may not have been on max settings ingame, then whacking them to DivX or another codec would reduce the quality (even on the high resolution videos) so they would seem a little "shit" :)

Just wait till ingame till you judge

iv seen some updated pic's on this forum befor ,pics of the g-man and barny , cant find the link sorry

Ignore the videos. Just run the Stress Test in CS:Source, setting it to the highest settings your PC can handle. Then you'll see.

Ok thats what I hoped of, I figured it would strive to beat farcry in graphics so I was confused.

But to answer the other dude I was watching the new vid where you chuck the saws and shit to slice and dice the head crabs.

amd 2800xp +
120 Gbit seral ata HD
1024 ddr ram (333 fsb)
nvidia geforce 6800 ultra 256 mb (evga)

Yes, they have improven the grathics. Do you think they've sitting on their backs all year?

redundant said:
Well, if you look at the binks from 2003, and compare them with the newer binks we got this year, you can see a big improvement in quality.

Correct. Every reviewer has said the gfx are amazing. If you watch the dx9 vid for hl2 the gfx are insane. Keep in mind with steam they will be updating the engine constantly.

Back