ArmA help!

Shift

Space Core
Reaction score
Ok I've posted this on the relevant forums but have got no where so will see if anyone knows here.

Recently got ArmA off steam but for some reason I get these massive graphical bugs where all the vegetation is really bright, and keeps dissappearing and reappearing as you travel by it. Makes the game practically impossible to play.

This is what I mean:
arma.png

I'm running a Ati Radeon HD 4800 series, and I've noticed others who are using ATi's have similar problems. Could it be a driver issue? Or a card issue? I'm at a loss. I've tried reinstalling it but Steam won't even let me do that now, I've never encountered such a problematic game :/

Will try that, but now I have to find out a way of reinstalling it ----___----

Nevermind I have fixed it now. Despite the performance issues from my behind computer this is definitely looking to be as good as Op Flash. Will need a new computer first before I enjoy it fully I think.

An HD 48xx is by no means too slow for this game--I was playing it fine on my 7900GT.

Well it runs ok with everything on high as long as the visibility is kept low, but it still chokes in FPS lag at times, especially around the urban areas. It will do until I can get my new computer anyway.

Why would you get that instead of ARMA II?

Also, have they fixed ARMA II yet? Every time I played this one singleplayer mission, which wasn't very far in, the commander I had to report back to was dead. That part took forever, so after the third time going through it I stopped playing the game altogether.

Well I got ArmA 2 also :p And well aren't they two differing games?

What do you mean two differing games? I mean, obviously they're not the same game. I don't understand your question. They take place in different settings, yes. But ArmA 2 is basically just a vastly improved ArmA. If you have ArmA 2, there really is no point in playing ArmA, unless you really have a thing for Sahrani or something else specific about the game's setting/factions/weapons.

Vegeta, does the game still have those serious show-stopper bugs like I described? Or have they finally been patched out? I tried the first two patches I think, and neither fixed the problem I had.

Why play ArmA when ArmA 2 is available? Minus system performance...

Well thats just it, my machine isn't great and struggles even with ArmA, don't think I will even attempt to play ArmA 2 until I can upgrade my computer. So far the former is very good I think, still isn't capturing the magic that Operation Flashpoint created, but its good.

I had many fun times with ArmA, and I too had a shitty system that prevented me from playing ArmA 2.

Hijacking this thread for a question: Just bought Operation Arrowhead on Steam and I have the retail version of ArmA II. Is it somehow possible to link the two? Do they work well together? Should I just forget about vanilla and have this installed?

Any version of OA will work with any version of vanilla.

And yes you want to have them run together (Combined Operations) if you own them both.

I'm not sure how this is done when they're installed to different directories like that though... I'm sure there's a guide if you search around.

According to a Bohemia dev you can have different installs and run them both from OA. That's pretty cool. But would you say it is worth the hassle of installing vanilla and updating? I simply want to play around with the new toys and check out the new maps first. I have no intentions to go online anytime soon. I am guessing the 'combined operations' thingy really comes into effect in the multiplayer.

Well if you just want to mess around and don't care about the vanilla content then I guess there's no need.

Be warned that ArmA doesn't like 4 gigs of ram. I had to drop mine down to 3. Couldn't even play it with 4.

Thank fully they fixed it in ArmA 2.

I am guessing the 'combined operations' thingy really comes into effect in the multiplayer.

Wish I could tell you bro... it's been so long since we played multiplayer I forgot.

/waits for vegeta

Back