Asus AM2-board DIMM voltages?

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
I'm buying all my parts tomorrow, and I'm a little stuck right now. I'm looking at two AM2 boards:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NForce570
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe NForce590

Now, as it stands, I haven't been able to figure out what the default voltage applied to the DIMM slots is. Once I figure them out, I'll have two possible courses of action:

If one or both boards defaults to 1.9V: Buy either one and get a nice pair of Mushkin PC26400 1GB DIMMs at 1.9V.
If neither board defaults to 1.9V: Buy the above, and also get a 2x512MB DIMM set rated at 1.8V to allow me to POST and switch the voltage.

Any help is muchly appreciated. Google and Asus' forums have both failed me in this respect.

M2N-E
Not sure how much alike this board is to the other SLI models you are looking at but they say this board is picky with memory. hehe
Comments on Ncix.

I'd recommend you really make sure your memory is going to be compatible with the system before you jump in. Otherwise you might be doing some RMAing. Make a thead at Anandtech or some other forum if you have not already.
I'm glad I stuck with S939 for the moment seeing all the red flags of confusion and motherboard issues with the new AMD/Intel systems. lol

Well, I made a thread on the Asus forums. And I asked around. And I searched Google. And I searched the Asus forums. And I searched the Anandtech forums.

Everybody knows every little obscure spec and stat on these boards. But not ONE SINGLE PERSON can tell me the goddamn default voltage on the DIMM modules.

JESUS ****ING CHRIST. **** THE INTERNET. :flame:

Does it really matter? I know some of the boards allow you to adjust the voltage in bios, there are also modules you can buy that plug into the memory slot that adjust the voltage. However, I really don't see how .1 VDC could make any difference at all. The amount of voltage going in there can actually vary based on the power supply you buy. Sure a stock power supply is supposed to put out 5V and 12V stock but that will always vary. As long as the memory specs fit your motherboard you should be okay. Then again I am not that cought up on overclocking, especially the ram.

It's not that the BIOS won't let me output enough voltage for the memory. It's that I'm hearing all sorts of horror stories with DDR2-800 kits and AM2 motherboards, and I decided on this specific board.

Anywho, I found the help I needed, finally, but on the forums of an online retailer. Asus forums didn't help at all, and used horrible software :p

I ended up buying the two DIMM pairs, one of which is really cheap and runs at the lowest DDR2 voltage output. It should be up and running as soon as my x1900XT comes in.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated :)

Back