ATI drivers issue

Tarkus

Tank
Reaction score
Hey all, haven't posted in a while, but it seemed this was the perfect time to do it again ^^.

What's happening is that i just bought an ASUS laptop that brought a Mobility Radeon 1600 with it and i can't seem to find the correct Catalyst Drivers for it. I've noticed the ATI site has mobility drivers specificaly for these boards, but ASUS doesn't seem to be suported, and that tool thing they have in the same page as the Mobility Catalysts says my computer isn't compatible with these kind of drivers.

So my question is: what drivers should i download? (note that the regular Catalyst Drivers give me an error saying something about a VGA Drivers, wich i already installed)

Sorry for my possibly awful english, it's just that i haven't had the chance of practising much lately...

First get driver cleaner and wipe any ATI video drivers that are on there.

Even though it says X1600 supported the drivers from ATI's site won't work with your notebook?
Then I'd go to Asus.com and see if you can find the display drivers for your Asus laptop under downloads. Know the model number or series to look it up.

The problem with the drivers in the Asus site is that when i'm installing, at some point a system restart is needed, and after the first screen with the Asus logo the computer asks for the "system disc", which i presume is the Windows XP Media Version (or something like that) disc. Now, the thing is: there is no Windows disc in the box were my laptop came, which is weird i know but it totally screws me as i can't finish the setup, thus remaining with the old drivers...

Another thing, i'm not removing any old drivers until i'm 100% sure i can install new drivers..

EDIT - By the way, my laptop is an Asus Z92J

Awhile back they stopped giving Windows CDs. Now a lot of manufactures stopped giving restore CDs as well (you have to make your own). It's dumb.

I'd first try to make a recovery CD. Then see if that will work as the System Disc it asks for. If the prompt that asks for the disc has a Browse button maybe you can direct it to a Windows folder and it will find the files it is looking for? lol
I Dunno.

Nah, it's on a DOS type screen... Since i have an original CD-KEY for the windows sticked in my laptop, you think it's cool for me to download the Windows XP Media Center Edition disc?

Anyway, I'm t aking some screens and emailing them to ATI, see if they can give me any feedback..

Thanks ASUS for all your help

This is really starting to tick me off... ATI told me that they don't offer support for notebooks..which is simply ridiculous as they have MOBILE GPU's... /breathes deeply

I can't find any e-mail address in the Asus site that i can send my problem and see if they can help...

I've ran out of ideas and WoW has a lot of annoying bugs which problably come from the old drivers...

Back