ati radeon 9600 xt 256 mb

nick_t

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got the Ati Radeon 9600 XT 256 Mb. What do you guys think about the card? Is it much worse or close to the Radeon 9800? Will it work well for HL2? And if you have this card, please let me know what you think of it.

In my opinion, it's a pretty good card especially for the money I paid ($200 Cdn < $300 Cdn in stores + 15% damn tax). I get approx. 25-50 fps on FarCry at Med/High settings in wide outdoor forested/watery areas with people shooting at me, approx. 70-99 fps on CS 1.6 w/ high-detailed textures and 1280x1024 res, and it runs N4S:U like magic at the highest settings. I think it's a good card but is it good enough?

PC specs:
---------
p4 2.4 Ghz
512 mb ram
mouse + keyboard

It's worse than the 9800 pro, not too close to it but not too much worse. It's definitely a nice card for the money, it will run any game well.

nick_t said:
Hey guys, I recently got the Ati Radeon 9600 XT 256 Mb. What do you guys think about the card? Is it much worse or close to the Radeon 9800? Will it work well for HL2? And if you have this card, please let me know what you think of it.

In my opinion, it's a pretty good card especially for the money I paid ($200 Cdn < $300 Cdn in stores + 15% damn tax). I get approx. 25-50 fps on FarCry at Med/High settings in wide outdoor forested/watery areas with people shooting at me, approx. 70-99 fps on CS 1.6 w/ high-detailed textures and 1280x1024 res, and it runs N4S:U like magic at the highest settings. I think it's a good card but is it good enough?

PC specs:
---------
p4 2.4 Ghz
512 mb ram
mouse + keyboard

I have a 9600 pro and it ran the hl2 leak really well....mines a 128 meg, though. With the benchmarks valve has released, the 9600 pro killed almost all of the FX cards.

Umm... the extra 128 MB isn't utilized as much as it could have been. It would have been a much better buy to get a 9800 pro.

thx for the replies guys. bosox188, I hope you're right man, I haven't tried many games out with it but it seems to run very well anything so far. Thanks for the info Vigilante - that's a big relief. Dead-Inside, the 256 Mb might not be very useful but that's the only model I could get and it can't hurt to get have 128 more Mb :naughty: (I already saved $100 by getting it from the warehouse so it's not like I got ripped off).

Well try the Far Cry demo, that pushes most cards to their limits, will certainly use your 9600xt to it's fullest. See how it is, should run at least 1024x768 on a mix of medium/high settings. Although Far Cry does have it's issues, and needs a lot of ram, 1GB if you don't want pauses while it loads textures and the next areas. Halo's good, and the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo. Jedi Academy too. All good demo's. I don't think the Doom 3 demo is out yet, there's supposed to be one. If it is try that, that'll be good.

bosox188 said:
Well try the Far Cry demo, that pushes most cards to their limits, will certainly use your 9600xt to it's fullest. See how it is, should run at least 1024x768 on a mix of medium/high settings. Although Far Cry does have it's issues, and needs a lot of ram, 1GB if you don't want pauses while it loads textures and the next areas. Halo's good, and the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo. Jedi Academy too. All good demo's. I don't think the Doom 3 demo is out yet, there's supposed to be one. If it is try that, that'll be good.

Yea, I mentioned that I tried FarCry and I got 25-50 fps while moving around in wide outdoor areas (I can hit 70+ while looking at walls without moving but who does that?). I used to have Halo but uninstalled it before getting my card, unfortunately.

bosox188 said:
I ran FC on 1024x768 on all medium really well, avg of 50-60 fps.

Vigilante said:
I ran FC on 1024x768 on all medium really well, avg of 50-60 fps.

wow that's really good. I only get that in smaller enclosed areas but I'll try again with your settings and I'll tell you what I get. how much RAM do you have? That might be might problem (only 512Mb).

nick_t said:
wow that's really good. I only get that in smaller enclosed areas but I'll try again with your settings and I'll tell you what I get. how much RAM do you have? That might be might problem (only 512Mb).
My sig is not accurate, I have my athlon 64 running at 2.3 ghz from 2, and a i have 1 gig of kingston hyperX ddr3500

EDIT: okay i fixed my sig.

Vigilante said:
I have a 9600 pro and it ran the hl2 leak really well....mines a 128 meg, though. With the benchmarks valve has released, the 9600 pro killed almost all of the FX cards.
i had a geforce 4 mx, and it ran hl2 leak good, when i got 9800pro a few months ago, i realized it ran only the same speed

ktimekiller said:
i had a geforce 4 mx, and it ran hl2 leak good, when i got 9800pro a few months ago, i realized it ran only the same speed
That is simply not possible.

Vigilante, with your settings I get anywhere from 20-40 fps in wide outdoor areas (first level where you see the whole island). And I get 40-60 when in smaller areas (such as the jungle and when driving the buggy up the path). I get 70-85 fps when sniping.

nick_t said:
Vigilante, with your settings I get anywhere from 20-40 fps in wide outdoor areas (first level where you see the whole island). And I get 40-60 when in smaller areas (such as the jungle and when driving the buggy up the path). I get 70-85 fps when sniping.
What do you mean wih my settings? My athlon 64 will kick the crap out of the fastest pentium 4 (not including extreme edition). It will beat pretty much any 3 ghz + p4, plus i have a gig of ram CL2 ram

ohh my gahhd you should have got the x90000 Platnum

jk

you will like the 9600XT =D

sHm0zY said:
ohh my gahhd you should have got the x90000 Platnum

jk

you will like the 9600XT =D

lol, they'll probably come up with that card soon. and vigilante, I was talking about game settings ("1024x768 on all medium") not your PC specs. Before, I was running it on High/Med settings and at 1280x1024 but there is not much difference. Even when I play FC on Very High it still runs at approx. 20-35 fps and even higher depeding where I am.

i got a 6800 for 170 over a 9800 pro for 150, do you think it was worth it?

The benchmarks say yes by a long way but in terms of card potential what do you guys think?

Back