Ati Radeon X550 Problems

N

NeilH

Hi There

After reformatting of my pc about 6 months ago and deciding to reinstall Half Life 2 i have had such great problems with playing the game which i never had before. I can play the game for 10-20 minutes then it just locks on me. Graphics stay on screen but freeze and sound loops slowly and then goes into overdrive locking the whole pc up. A reboot does not solve the problem as i have to leave the machine off for about 2 minutes before starting it back up. It now starts to a WINDOWS encountered a serious error and had to close down giving me this error when i send the info to microsoft.

Technical Information
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

This error is pointed towards

Option 1: Install the most current device driver for your video card

Option 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

Done Number 1.. Installed and no joy. Done no 2 and still no joy.

Now for the technical bits.

This is a Pentium 4 3ghz
1 gb ram
1 x 320gb Hard drive
1 x 250gb Hard drive
1 x Soundblaster Audigy
1 x Ati Radeon X550 gfx card

Direct X 9.0c installed and checked using dxdiag

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Ati drivers for this card and this includes removing all the drivers and catalyst control centre totally.

I have Zonealarm installed but this was disabled to allow hl2 total access to the internet. No windows firewall is running. it seems that the zonealarm firewall has had a few problems with .exe files on other new games also.

Fan has been checked and any dust removed from the motherboard.

I hope this info helps as i am about to climb the wall as i know this used to work perfectly well before i had to format. Must be a software error because it only happens on this game.

Hoping Someone Can Help Me :)

NeilH

Hmm all I could think of is a graphics problem, or overheating. graphics wouldn't necessarily explain the hard crash, but temp would explain why you have to leave it off for 2 minutes.
I suggest that you download a motherboard monitor of some sort. It looks like your computer is pretty recent, so I think your mobo would have a thermometer on it. Otherwise just leave the side off and check how hot it is on crashing.

Half Life Crashes

Hi

ok.. Did the drivers at omega drivers (no change)
Checked the fan temp and its normal as well.

If i leave it on the main startup screen before i load any saved games, in about 10-20 minutes the game still crashes out, so i know that it is not hammering the processor at all.

This problem is becoming so damn annoying now because it seems and probably is soooo simple to rememdy.

Heck.. I have even re installed Direct X 6.0 up to 9.0c.

You name it and i think i have tried it but it definetley has to be a gfx issue.

Neil

Ok were you trying this with hl2? Because it has a 3D background, as in a map that loads. This would be putting strain on your gfx card anyway. Try it with something like CSS or another game, and if they don't shut down, then it probably has something to do with you gfx card's processor or memory.

EDIT: Bah says you only have it with that game. Hmm, I really have no idea. What O/S are you running?

Hey everyone, I have just bought a new computer and have the same card, RADEON x550 and I play CS:S and the damn thing randomly does the sound loop crash, sometimes it will shake out of the crash and other times my monitor will shut down but the game will keep commencing, because I can hear it though the speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ran this game on ym old Geforce 2mx card and it ran completely fine. I was also doing some google digging and lots of people are having the same problems with different cards. I have been searching for a few days uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but nothing seems to work, I even updated my motherboard bios and nothing works. PLz find a solution :)

System Specs:

Windows Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Memory (RAM) 2046 MB

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz

CPU Speed 2795.2 MHz

Sound card SigmaTel Audio

Display Adapters RADEON X550 | RADEON X550 Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution 1024 X 768 - 32 bit

Network Adapters Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport

CD / DVD Drives D: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H22N

COM Ports COM1

LPT Ports LPT1

Mouse 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 465.8GB

Hard Disks - Free C: 447.6GB

USB Controllers 5 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) Not Detected

Manufacturer Intel Corp.

Product Make

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info ATAT COMPATIBLE 030207 INTEL 47

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Battery No Battery

Motherboard Intel Corporation D946GZIS

I don't get it. It should run fine on that rig... you say it works fine if you switch to your old Geforce? hmmmm....

Back