ATI X1800XT Preview with benchmarks

NikolaX

Tank
Reaction score
This initial gloss over the tech, board evaluation and performance snapshot should have you salivating at the thought of buying a 3D accelerator in the near future. Radeon 1800 XT, via a decently clocked R520 GPU and fast memories, defines the base performance the rest of the X1000 series range will scale down from. From this debut, it's arguably never been better to think about upgrading to PCI Express for graphics, or just graphics in general if you're already on the interconnect.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3603

looks good for ATI, only with 16 pipes it follows the same whay to 7800GTX

and OMG look the FEAR bench !! tumbs up for ATI!

and at driverheaven - http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/r520reviewxvxv/ with LostCoast benchs ( better Avg. score by 10 fps )

HardOCP
TechReport
Beyond3D
NeoSeeker
HotHardware (with x1800XL) - 3dmark05 1800xt :9000 / 7800gtx :7700

Cool! Thats not that bad really! I'm liking the performance in F.E.A.R, totally humped the 7800gtx when you really crank up the graphics settings! The cards will be using very new drivers I would have thought, so they might get more out of it yet, but I'm not sure. Competition is really hotting up now!

ATI's crossfire is still royally screwed though, truth be told they were probably caught completely off-guard by SLI and came up with something slip-shod last minute.

I'm liking them :D
One of those in cross-fire would be awesome!!

duffers20 said:
Wow the majority of those prices are very expensive! Hopefully they will drop because I'm torn between a 7800gtx/gt and a x1800xl/xt for my pc upgrade.

Same here mate, it is hard, becose 7800GT is 100£ less then X1800XL , they must drop prices very soon or i will buy 7800GT ;) and in previews say it is very noisy :(
I am still on ol 9800 pro and nForce2 + Athlon XP-M :)
btw the dates are here: X800XL in 6 days and X800XT in November 18.

Looks very good. Absolute FEAR ownage.
Overall I think ATI have done very well with this new generation of cards. I'm looking forward to the R580.

Let's hope ATI gets some good midrange cards out this generation, the X600/X700 series aren't anywhere near the 6600GT, eventually the X800GT came out but I think it's a little too late.

Anyone lookin to buy a 7800GTX, factory overclocked......hell ill put BF2 in with it(Im a 56ker, I don't play it online....came with my gfx card).
$500!!
plzz??

man the x1800s are way to exspensive and u could get a 7800 for the same price as the x1600

Nice cards. I'm still waiting though. Perhaps when they come out with an AIW version. And maybe they will come out with a 24 pipeline card in the spring/summer. :eek:
giant384 said:
man the x1800s are way to exspensive and u could get a 7800 for the same price as the x1600
Well considering these cards are brand new I wouldn't expect street prices to be as low just yet. And keep in mind retail prices between the X800XL and 7800GT are the same etc.

Looks like things are looking good for ati (rubs hands together with glee at the thought of all of this choice soon to be bestowed upon us)

Duffers: (this is not a critiscism of what you said, merely me expressing my surprise) i find it slightly hard to believe that F.E.A.R humped the 7800GTX at full settings. I run F.E.A.R on my PC at 1280 x 960, mixture of max and med settings and it runs very smoothly, and that's on a 6800 ultra, so i would expect a 7800GTX to be able to cope with F.E.A.R maxxed out.

:O

3ssence said:
Duffers: (this is not a critiscism of what you said, merely me expressing my surprise) i find it slightly hard to believe that F.E.A.R humped the 7800GTX at full settings. I run F.E.A.R on my PC at 1280 x 960, mixture of max and med settings and it runs very smoothly, and that's on a 6800 ultra, so i would expect a 7800GTX to be able to cope with F.E.A.R maxxed out.

:O

Yeh you are right, maybe 'humped' wasn't the best word to use, but a surprising boost in performance from the Ati card compared to the nvidia card.

Hehe, would be worrying if the latest graphics card was humped already !!!

Although impressive stuff from ati all the same. I've been with nvidia for a couple of years now, since my 9600 pro (which was an awesome card for the money !!) that could well change, we shall see...

But first, time to get saving !!!!

Lol

Some of those reviews use nForce board for all cards while other reviews use an ATI board for ATI cards.

Back